Lighting up the rear tire-Burnout

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennsVmax

Reaction score
Hi,

Have only had my 06 Vmax a few months. Any tips on best way to do a good burn out?

Bike is stock except Kerker 4/1 and jet kit. Runs great. Not much tread on rear tire. Might as well finish it off>

Also, any suggestions on replacement tires. Mine have stock rims.

Thanks,
Glenn

Burnout? Easy. First decide if you wanna do a standing or rolling burnout. (Standing much easier if u're a burnt rubber novice.

So, on your bike, engine on, both feet firmly on the ground, apply front brake, lift yer arse off the seat (lightening rear wheel but keep the bike tight between yer legs). Put it in first gear, rev it up a bit (3-4k rpm), then drop the clutch. Much easier on cold tires! The rear wheel will spin away, tire will quickly start smoking. Be CAREFUL, the rear will wander and try coming round to either side, so always be prepared to pull the clutch lever if needed.

Carry on like this until you're happy you've made enough noise and smoke and/or you feel your tire's about to blow up (you really don't want that - rim damage + more possible).

Rolling burnout's similar, but you don't use the front brake and you're moving, so it's more involved and dangerous, but more fun and satisfying. It's all about leaning forward (weight off the rear), rev up and drop the clutch, let the power make the tire slip. You must have good balance and lots of room!

Choices of tires, here are the preferred ones for *most* of us:

- cheap and ultra grippy: Shinko Tourmaster T230. Handles great, wears faster.

- not so cheap but longer lasting: Metzeler Marathon ME880. All who have them love them, even if they don't stick quite as good as Shinkos. They do also outlast the Shinkos quite a bit.

Side note: the Vmax asks for 'V'-rated tires. Shinko is V (149mph), Metzeler is H (130mph).

Also, the standard rear is 150/90-15". A lot of us go with the 170/80-15 because we all love fatter rear tire looks, but recently someone with a bad speed wobble problem found that going down to a 140/90-15 cured his wobble. Make your own mind up.

Oh, and for the front, standard size is 110/90-18". A few are using 120/90-18, again for the fatter look. Both front and rear fatter ones will fit without mods, but they will do nothing for your handling. Both sizes in both front and rear are available in both brands. Usually the best deal (including shipping to your door) can be found online at www.bikebandit.com. Other may look cheaper, but their shipping's higher.

And then of course, it's way cheaper to take your wheels off yourself, and drop them to your friendly stealers for replacement and balancing. And it pays to shop around - some stealers will do both wheels for under $50, others will ask $45 per wheel.

A lot of us are also using Dynabeads instead of weights for balancing - small ceramic beads that go inside the tire and allow for dynamic balancing that adjusts itself as the tire wears.

Hope this helps!

I hear Coprunner is giving lessons on the "BR10 Burnout"........:biglaugh:

Thanks naughty G. When I was younger I liked to try and figure out things on my own. Found as I get older the ground gets harder so I appreciate the good advice.

Are you still overseas?

Got a friend that is going for a ride with me on Saturday to Daytona area.

Glenn

I hear Cop runner is giving lessons on the "BR10 Burnout"........:biglaugh:
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ! .. AND THERE FREE ! .. TACH THAT MOTHER UP TO ABOUT 8,000 RPM'S , DUMP THE CLUTCH AFTER LIKE 20-30 FEET BANG IT UP INTO SECOND GEAR & HANG ON , AS YOUR RIDING ALL THE WAY SIDEWAY'S , ALL THE WAY TO THE LOCK , AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ; JUST WHEN YOU THINK THAT YOUR GOING TO DIE , COUNT TO ONE MISSISSIPPI , THEN ROLL OUT OF THE THROTTLE AND PULL IN THE CLUTCH ! .. SINCE YOUR A BEGINNER , I STRONGLY ADVISE THAT YOU DON'T DO IT HEADING TOWARD ANY OF YOUR GOOD FRIENDS AND THEIR WIVES & OR GIRL FRIENDS , OR THEIR BIKES & OR INTO THEIR GARAGE ! .. UNLESS YOUR TOTALLY CONFIDENT THAT YOU CAN PULL IT OFF LIKE I WAS :biglaugh: , THEN FUCK IT , GO FOR IT , YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE ! .. :confused2::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Hey, if you go for the piece of soap Avon Venom tire, you can do a rolling burnout in third gear....with a Venture drive. Don't even have to "rev and dump" Was doing 55 in fifth, dropped it to third and smashed the gas, lit right up. It's really cool. Except if you actually want to accelerate or corner without sliding, then they suck ass. Even with the Metz tires, just smash the gas in first and you've got yourself a burnout no problemo.

ME880s made a NIGHT AND DAY difference in the bike's handling over the Avon's. No "walk out" or "wander" in corners, the wiggle when hitting a bump while cornering vanished, and overall I have a LOT more confidence with the bike in corners. Haven't actually scraped the pegs yet, but I have touched the edge of my boots several times.

on a serious note , remember , doing a rolling burn-out ( which i prefer ) .. Keep the rpm's up , the faster the tire is spinning , the easier it is to control , just be ready , as your speed starts picking up & or the rear tire starts slowing down , its going to start wanting to grab , so you better bang it up into second gear , or let out of it ! .. Remember , doing a burn-out , standing or rolling , " TRACTION IS THE ENEMY " ! ... ALWAYS BE READY TO LET OUT OF IT !

Thanks naughty G. When I was younger I liked to try and figure out things on my own. Found as I get older the ground gets harder so I appreciate the good advice.

Are you still overseas?

Got a friend that is going for a ride with me on Saturday to Daytona area.

Glenn

hey Glenn,

ya, still abroad, in France now and off to Oz again toward the end of August hopefully, unless a big job brings me back to London..

Enjoy the ride, I'm really missing both the FL sunshine and my Max!! :confused2:

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ! .. AND THERE FREE ! .. TACH THAT MOTHER UP TO ABOUT 8,000 RPM'S , DUMP THE CLUTCH AFTER LIKE 20-30 FEET BANG IT UP INTO SECOND GEAR & HANG ON , AS YOUR RIDING ALL THE WAY SIDEWAY'S , ALL THE WAY TO THE LOCK , AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ; JUST WHEN YOU THINK THAT YOUR GOING TO DIE , COUNT TO ONE MISSISSIPPI , THEN ROLL OUT OF THE THROTTLE AND PULL IN THE CLUTCH ! .. SINCE YOUR A BEGINNER , I STRONGLY ADVISE THAT YOU DON'T DO IT HEADING TOWARD ANY OF YOUR GOOD FRIENDS AND THEIR WIVES & OR GIRL FRIENDS , OR THEIR BIKES & OR INTO THEIR GARAGE ! .. UNLESS YOUR TOTALLY CONFIDENT THAT YOU CAN PULL IT OFF LIKE I WAS :biglaugh: , THEN FUCK IT , GO FOR IT , YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE ! .. :confused2::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

how about the trees and flower pots you forget to warn him about those, the trees!!!!!!! ahahahhaha

Back