Lightning does what it wants!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am not upstaging you at all, but I run an adblocker. I cant read any WaPo articles cause they are greedy pigs who want me to thumb through 6 pages of ads to read a 1 paragraph story. So I found a the story that I was able to read without it freaking out.

For our members who love adblock as much as me.....https://www.newsweek.com/florida-motorcycle-lightning-shattered-helmet-crash-1443054

That’s insane! Never knew it was a thing until I read this and watched the link. Does this bunk the ground up theory for lighting?

That’s insane! Never knew it was a thing until I read this and watched the link. Does this bunk the ground up theory for lighting?

The strike can go both ways, like alternating current, multiple times, which does put the kibosh on "lightning never strikes the same place twice."

The strike can go both ways, like alternating current, multiple times, which does put the kibosh on "lightning never strikes the same place twice."

Yup. And some lightning never hits the ground at all. Seen it go horizontally across the sky for miles! Very weird stuff and several different types like chain, ball, sheet, fork, etc.

fulgurite.02.jpeg Fulgurite.jpg
Yup. And some lightning never hits the ground at all. Seen it go horizontally across the sky for miles! Very weird stuff and several different types like chain, ball, sheet, fork, etc.

Saint Elmo's Fire. My mom told me a story of ball lightning coming close to her, and doing a 180 and leaving.

Seamen would see it around the masts of sailing ships in a storm.

Lightning can fuse sand into glass. The material left-behind is named fulgurite. What happens when nearly one billion Joules of lighting energy strikes sand? These tubular formations are typical of the result! With temperatures reaching 30,000 degrees Kelvin, the sand is melted or vaporized, leaving behind these amorphous glass tubes.

Back