Lil video showin ya where Ive gotten.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
So we split the case and all that good jazz so now I just have to compress the evil spring that holds the damper cam in place and I can swap it out!:eusa_dance:

And as a side note the moment I set the camera down I realised you just pull up and that gear assembly comes right out.

Just lettin ya guys know where its at on the old progress bar.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Aw0qKwy6wYY?rel=0

I made a press outta a couple pieces of channel iron and 2 pieces of threaded rod to compress the damper spring so I could get at the 2 little locks that hold it on. You don't need to remove the middle gear nut. Good Luck!

Hmmm, knowing I don't have to pull the nut is ganna save me some time! Thanks!
...cause I was ganna take that nut off...

Look at a Yamaha parts breakdown and you"ll see how it"s assembled and what ya have to do to get it apart. I was gonna remove the nut also but Mr. Morley told me what to do and saved me the extra work. Best of luck with the repair!

Thank ya much! So far so good, knowing I'm backed by everyone here in the forum if I need help is really doin me well when I start gettin overwhelmed.

Usually I agree with Sean but this time I have slightly diffrent view on this case.
When you will try to reinstall middle drive gear with big ball bearing still in place you may find it hard to do - thats becouse 2 gear lash shims(usually 2) thats supouse to seats beteween that bearing and engine case.
I have found this very risky to do, you may accidently bent those shims while joining the engine cases. More then that you should torque the nut to keep the right spec of gearing lash

Big bearing nut is easy to remove but, only when engine is still assembled.
You just need to engage the gear, unbend the "locking" on that nut and they unscrew easily. Diffrent story if you forgot to do this and you already have transmissoin assy on the bench. Than its get tricky - personaly Im using big vise to hold the gear(im putting some alu sheet between gear and vise jaws for gear protection) and then unscrew the nut.

Hopefully it makes sense.

Prez

So all i need to do is remove is remove gear cover and unbend and remove? I want to powder coat that nut for my clear case cover but thought i had to remove whole engine to do this. If i can do it as above i will try and get it done. Do you know nut socket size and torque spec?

Powder coat you saying? Colored like red or blue may be interesting - Im not sure PC will survive torquing :ummm:
Maybe colored chromme/nickel Sean offering?

Nut is 55mm so that size of socket you would need. Manual says 80ft/lb of torque.

Just unbend it and remove(standard righthanded) - You may try to use pneumatic impact gun.

So heres the update again! I fashioned this relatively crude (but strong as $***) spring compressor and managed to get the spring compressed enough to remove the broken part! :eusa_dance:
Boy...Yamaha was NOT screwin around with that spring by the way!

I told my buddies that since this was the first part Ive broken on my Max while wheelie'ing or somthing like that where I was actually having a good time and abusing the power when it broke, I would make a little trophy for my bookshelf from the broken component so here it is!:clapping:

Attachments

• DSCN1696.jpg
    DSCN1696.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1697.jpg
    DSCN1697.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN1695.jpg
    DSCN1695.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 26
You can shift the transmission shaft outboard approx 1/4" to gain the clearance for the shims while putting the halves together. Works well and no bent shims though it is still possible!

Sean

Latest posts

Back