limited slip differential oil additives for slipping clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
We maxers tend to stay away from oil additives fearing that the clutch will slip but products made for limited slip differentials are made to prevent clutch slipping since these kinds of differentials have clutch plates in them.
I thought this might be a useful thing to try if clutch slipping is a problem.
I found this product or you can do a web search on the subject .
http://www.autobarn.net/limsupbylub.html

To me anything that reduces friction while not harming the clutch is a good thing to try. less friction , less noise, less vibration, less heat, well greased machine.
________
iolite reviews

Last edited:
firefly said:
We maxers tend to stay away from oil additives fearing that the clutch will slip but products made for limited slip differentials are made to prevent clutch slipping since these kinds of differentials have clutch plates in them.
I thought this might be a useful thing to try if clutch slipping is a problem.
I found this product or you can do a web search on the subject .
http://www.autobarn.net/limsupbylub.html

To me anything that reduces friction while not harming the clutch is a good thing to try. less friction , less noise, less vibration, less heat, well greased machine.

Hmmm... I don't know if that would work or not. I use something like that for the posi rear end in my F150, but it is intended for gear oil.

This one actually says can be used in wet clutch applications with engine oil, take a look.
http://www.mrmoly.com/automatic_transmission_supplem.html
I did order one for automatic transmission for engine oil and one for manual transmission for the differential , I'll try both and tell you what effects they have.
In my honda car the transmission uses regular motor oil so I am sure no damage will result. I would love to get rid of the clunk that happens with the bike cold when I first shift in gear, to me this would be a good preventative maintenance.

Buster Hymen said:
Hmmm... I don't know if that would work or not. I use something like that for the posi rear end in my F150, but it is intended for gear oil.
________
free themes

Last edited:
I took the risk and added the differential limited slip additive to the motor oil , so far after 50 miles shifting is smoother , clutch engagement became more positive also the engine became a bit quieter than what I am use to.
Note: I had no clutch slipping before, bike has 30K on the stock clutch with severe surface street use.
Will keep you guys posted about any good or bad observations.
I think it would be a good idea for someone with slipping clutch to try it and post the results here.
________
Mazda CX-9 history

Last edited:
Markmax, this is NOT MOLY, this is a different kind of friction modifier,
moly will cause the clutch to slip! I'll use moly for the differential only.
You can get any (limited slip additive from any auto parts store)
I did a yahoo search
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=limited+slip+differential+oil+additives&sp=1&fr2=sp-top&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=UTF-8&SpellState=n-3156313223_q-1RdayH%2FjkZ6iHgXW.3Yb%2FwAAAA%40%40

markmax said:
Can you get the Moly around town some where or did you have to order it on line?
________
make a vaporizer

Last edited:
After ~150 miles of adding the limited slip differential additive I changed oil and filter.
the bike starts quicker from cold, takes less time to run smooth from cold,
accelerates much smoother and faster, shifting much smoother, getting back to neutral is much easier, engine quieter, clutch engagement more positive.
The over all performance enhancement makes me think I'll be do it every other oil change.
It takes 4 OZ added to engine oil 150 miles before next oil change
________
Jeepster Commando

Last edited:
after 200 miles adding Mr Moly automatic transmission additive NO clutch slipping at all in any gear with WOT acceleration,
the bike feels smooth and well lubricated, clutch engagement is superb.
A great product to prolong engine , transmission and clutch life.
This is my own experience on my own bike!
I would recommend it for any bike new or old after proper break in is over.
this will also protect if worried about the orange O ring thing, I actually feel a significant reduction in friction, the starter tunes the engine with much ease even without chock from an over night cold start!
I think I gained a few horses just by reducing friction!
I can't say enough about it!

Attachments

• auto_transmission_supplement.jpg
    auto_transmission_supplement.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Most manufacturers tell you to NOT use additives, NOT NECESSARY and can even be harmful. There are NO, and I specify NO miracle products on the market period, only snake oils that won't cure anything and lighten your money-belt. This particular bike has made a few discoveries that makes it run smoother, gain horse power, handle better, run quieter, last longer, corner better with fishing weights hanging from each side and on and on. This bike is now running sooo smooth, you can spread it on toast. I'm still waiting to see that air horn mounted, the Harley headlight makeover and a few other promised mods that never developed.

I left the other lists because there were some that dealt in voodoo mechanics and if you didn't buy into it, you got bashed. Unless you have proof/hard facts in black and white, you're just dealing with your own wishful thinking. Many bikers are not into mechanics and specialize in their own field but like to ride. They deserve the straight facts. After all, a forum is only as good as the information it deals in. Lets keep the personal "FEELINGS" of aftermarket cure-alls to a minimum because we don't really want to mislead (unintentionally) our other fellow bikers. Mechanics is my life and I wouldn't mind one bit being challenged on anything I contribute. Those that believe what they read from any manufacturer to be totally above board about their product, must also believe that every store in the US is having a sale with up to 70% off. :twocents: :hollowee:

Mike, I tried it and I am very happy with the result! if you don't believe it don't, I experienced using it first hand and I am commenting on the product, whether YOU approve of it or not is not the issue.

as for the weights I used before , It was just to experiment with and I never recommended anyone doing so.

Why do they say never use a friction modifier during break in period?
It is because it will cause glazing and prevent rings sealing which means they work as they are intended to. glazing is good after break in period is completed to prevent further wear.

so some of these products do actually work and this is one of them!
This is the smoothest ever my bike has been and it was in top shape to begin with, due to my severe use of the bike in stop and go traffic I am happy to find a product that effectively cuts down on friction without causing clutch slipping and I am taking the time to share it with all, some will consider it snake oil others will give it a try.

Mike don't use it and get over it:) you are wrong again! most of the time::bicycle:

mikemax04 said:
Most manufacturers tell you to NOT use additives, NOT NECESSARY and can even be harmful. There are NO, and I specify NO miracle products on the market period, only snake oils that won't cure anything and lighten your money-belt. This particular bike has made a few discoveries that makes it run smoother, gain horse power, handle better, run quieter, last longer, corner better with fishing weights hanging from each side and on and on. This bike is now running sooo smooth, you can spread it on toast. I'm still waiting to see that air horn mounted, the Harley headlight makeover and a few other promised mods that never developed.

I left the other lists because there were some that dealt in voodoo mechanics and if you didn't buy into it, you got bashed. Unless you have proof/hard facts in black and white, you're just dealing with your own wishful thinking. Many bikers are not into mechanics and specialize in their own field but like to ride. They deserve the straight facts. After all, a forum is only as good as the information it deals in. Lets keep the personal "FEELINGS" of aftermarket cure-alls to a minimum because we don't really want to mislead (unintentionally) our other fellow bikers. Mechanics is my life and I wouldn't mind one bit being challenged on anything I contribute. Those that believe what they read from any manufacturer to be totally above board about their product, must also believe that every store in the US is having a sale with up to 70% off. :twocents: :hollowee:
________
marijuana card

Last edited:
Get over what? And wrong again about what? If you like something, great, but the rest of us out there aren't as gullible as you are. You run to the dealer for every nickle and dime problem on your bike but keep giving advice constantly. Am I missing something here? I'm stating the facts and you do nothing but accuse without any specifics. I stood up for you when Mrmax was bashing you because we don't want bashing here, even though he was absolutely right in everything he said. But when someone is pushing snake oil just to be noticed and then claims all these wondrous cures, I just have to call them on it. If you have any pride at all, don't call others wrong and leave it go at that without backing up what they are wrong about. I could name at least 10 mods you have made and they were completely stupid but give you credit for trying something new when you have no concept/experience what would or wouldn't work. If you are any kind of a man, mention specifically the wrong information I have been giving.

Gentlemen, please take the personal bashing into PMs so that you can ignore each other if you choose, and the rest of the forum isn't dragged into this.
I have no issue with users disagreeing with a post, but let's keep it forum friendly.
Thank you!:afro:

Buster Hymen said:
Gentlemen, please take the personal bashing into PMs so that you can ignore each other if you choose, and the rest of the forum isn't dragged into this.
I have no issue with users disagreeing with a post, but let's keep it forum friendly.
Thank you!:afro:
That's the way the other forums are run on Yahoo, Buster. I was hoping this forum would be different and have discussions on matters of differences of opinions. If somebody can sell bull on this site and there is nobody to contest it, how are we ever going to smarten up and deal with reality? Instead of calling a halt to a disagreement, the membership should join in and debate the issue and come to a logical conclusion. On such a discussion, everybody learns and benefits and those not mechanically inclined, will know what's really better and what really works. A fair discussion on any subject can only benefit this forum. There are moderators that can decide what is flaming and what is acceptable. With those in the know participating in the discussion, snake oils and voodoo can be sorted out quickly. Isn't one of the more important features/functions of this forum to get the correct information to the membership? It isn't so much WHO is right or wrong, but WHAT is right and what is wrong.:confused2:

How can a person comment on a mod or a product without ever using it?
all I can say is I used it , noticed a +ve difference and will use it again in my bike. I am all for extending the life of my machine and having it perform at top shape.
It would have been a different story if I read about the product, never tried it then recommend it to others to try.
So guys you decide for yourselves all I can say is that It will not cause the clutch to slip!!!.
________
Mazda AZ-Offroad specifications

Last edited:
firefly said:
How can a person comment on a mod or a product without ever using it?

all I can say is I used it , noticed a +ve difference and will use it again in my bike. I am all for extending the life of my machine and having it perform at top shape.
It would have been a different story if I read about the product, never tried it then recommend it to others to try.
So guys you decide for yourselves all I can say is that It will not cause the clutch to slip!!!.
Some of us have been around long enough to know what works and what doesn't. Enhancement products have been on the market way before you were born and in a mechanical community, one finds out what works and what doesn't.

This isn't a matter of WHAT you use in your bike, but a matter of over-exaggerating the benefits you imagine. Putting something in for 200 miles is in no way a test of anything. The reason we don't use it is because our bikes are in need of nothing that comes out of a can to make it perform better. Quick Tune isn't on the market yet under any name.

You wrote "Why do they say never use a friction modifier during break in period?
It is because it will cause glazing and prevent rings sealing which means they work as they are intended to. glazing is good after break in period is completed to prevent further wear."

HUH??? Can someone explain to me what that means? I'm always up for learning something new.

People have already ordered it and will use it in spite of -ve rocking chair remarks from some one that has never used the product.
many will remain skeptical & some will try it.
I will keep the interested people posted after 1000k and beyond if any -ve effects develop but I seriously doubt anything -ve will result.
Mike just remember we are taking about a product not me so stop your yahoo attitude and talk about the subject! if you can remember what it was.

mikemax04 said:
Some of us have been around long enough to know what works and what doesn't. Enhancement products have been on the market way before you were born and in a mechanical community, one finds out what works and what doesn't.

This isn't a matter of WHAT you use in your bike, but a matter of over-exaggerating the benefits you imagine. Putting something in for 200 miles is in no way a test of anything. The reason we don't use it is because our bikes are in need of nothing that comes out of a can to make it perform better. Quick Tune isn't on the market yet under any name.

You wrote "Why do they say never use a friction modifier during break in period?
It is because it will cause glazing and prevent rings sealing which means they work as they are intended to. glazing is good after break in period is completed to prevent further wear."

HUH??? Can someone explain to me what that means? I'm always up for learning something new.
________
Yamaha CP300 specifications

Last edited:
Update after 400 miles of adding automatic transmission additive to engine oil. my observations:
1- Bike starts much easier from the first time.
2- Engine a lot quieter.
3- Cold 1st gear shift 80% less clunk.
4- Shifting became a click rather than the usual clunk in all gears.
5- The bike is much smooother than it has ever been since new.
6- It feels like the reduction in friction has freed a few horses and could be felt in the super smooth and strong acceleration.
7- Tests I've done to check for clutch slipping 1- hard acceleration on steep hills, 2-hard acceleration in 4th and 5th gears, 3- No pampering riding like I want the clutch to slip.
The result of all these test is No clutch slipping at all!
The bike feels like I am riding on a bar of soap! nothing had that effect on the bike not even after changing to amsoil full synthetic!!!

for the skeptical people, I understand , I was also very skeptical until I tried it, but at the end it is your call to use it or not, I am just reporting my findings and experience with this product.
I wish I knew about it when the bike had 5K on it.
________
Yamaha YM3014B specifications

Last edited:
Say firefly,
Keep on posting about your experiment. I'm interested as my Max isn't the smoothist shifter But my ZX shifts like butter and it's 13 yrs old. I did use a friction reducing additive in the ZX though. I know there are us who doubt the effectiveness of additives but all I can say is:

"better living through Chemistry"

Lew

Last edited:
1000 miles with the additive in the oil, nothing but smooth shifting (click not clunk), strong smooth acceleration, quick starts from cold and NO clutch slipping what so ever!!! I love it!
________
buy vaporizers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back