Lithium battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxman376

Reaction score
Just checking to see if any gen2 vmax using lithium battery and if you like it and have any problems with it

I ordered a Shorai today. The OEM Yuasa on the bike is probably four years old so I am getting ahead of it.
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Shorai. I put one in my 16 and at 285 CCA it started with ease. I do recommend you buy their charger also as stated above it has two modes, store and charge. The first one I bought had a dead cell and I dealt with a gentleman named Fuch(pronounced fook). He was great in trying to pinpoint whether in was the battery or the charger. As stated it was the battery but he sent me both new battery and charger overnight. Never charged me anything and never asked for anything back. LI small and light at 2.2 lbs I believe. Great CS unlike what you get just about anywhere else. Codoos to Shorai and Fuch.

Ran my 2009 OEM for 5 years with no issues. Installed a Shorai in 2015 just as a preventative measure. Shorai still installed with no hint of an issue. I do have their charger and keep the battery charged during extended downtimes. I agree a key preventative action is to never let battery drop too low in charge imho

I run antigravity with restart feature in my bike and installed one in my truck as well( a larger motorcycle battery actually with 675 cca I believe). If voltage drops below a certain point the battery “shuts off”. So it can’t get too low. Just push the button and it will fire right up. No issues so far. The larger battery weighed 4lbs vs the normal 40lb car battery.

Thanks for all the info. I purchased a noco from Amazon. 110.95. Installed yesterday. Bike has never cranked over that fast before

I run antigravity with restart feature in my bike and installed one in my truck as well( a larger motorcycle battery actually with 675 cca I believe). If voltage drops below a certain point the battery “shuts off”. So it can’t get too low. Just push the button and it will fire right up. No issues so far. The larger battery weighed 4lbs vs the normal 40lb car battery.
I took my anti gravity out. Button is worthless cant get to it anyways. If the Cooling fans or lights are on for 30 seconds always dead. Put a earthx in more capacity and more cranking power. Which model do you have?

Haven’t had to use the restart on the bike yet… but it’s worked fine on the truck. But, yes, a little hard to get to in the bike. AT12BS I believe in the bike.

Last edited:
only thing depressing is the price ......
No doubt. That's the only reason I've never bought one. They're simply not worth it. You don't get more than double the power, double the longevity and double the performance but you're paying more than double the price.

No doubt. That's the only reason I've never bought one. They're simply not worth it. You don't get more than double the power, double the longevity and double the performance but you're paying more than double the price.
The restart feature is “neat” as long as it’s reliable. Never being stranded with a dead battery may be worth it to some. Others may feel the weight reduction is worth it. But yea, seriously doubt 2x the life of a std AGM battery.

The restart feature is “neat” as long as it’s reliable. Never being stranded with a dead battery may be worth it to some. Others may feel the weight reduction is worth it. But yea, seriously doubt 2x the life of a std AGM battery.
On the gen 2 the weight savings is even less than on the Gen 1. The factory Gen 2 battery is only 8.4 pounds, so you're looking at a max of 6 pounds savings.

People could simply go on a diet and save more poundage than that.

Most I've seen anybody get out of a LI battery is 6 years. I've averaging 4.5 to 5 on regular batteries, so definitely not worth it.

I'm trying to decide if to continue with odyssey, or jump ship to Shorai for three bikes.. Im only getting 6 reliable years from my odyssey's..

To be fair, even though my batteryminder charger is approved by odyssey, it charges and floats a little low. And a few tenths of a volt do make a big difference when trying to charge to 100% which is important for longevity.

But on the other hand, buying a new Shorai lithium battery and charger and wondering if the bikes charging system is adequate is another story.. Are lithium's as touchy as AGM's for charge and float voltage, and can you trust the Shorai smart charger to actually keep it 100% happy like I thought my batteryminder was doing?

Will I have to tune up or upgrade my bikes charging systems for the Shorai's?

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back