Lithium battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gen2 i put in battery tender lithium in an bought there tender also no problems yet

Not that it matters and I don’t care about weight I just changed out my stock in a 2014 it lasted 9 years I have replaced it with the same and it’s snug in it’s stock heat shield good for another 10 I don’t trickle the battery during season and leave it on the bike in the winter on charge go out and start it once a month
Why so serious!!!

Cheers
Peter

How's the Noco holding up? I've had good luck with their other products.
I have a 2009 700 Raptor. That the stock. Yuasa? Battery died while riding on 3 day ride after feuling up at the gas station. In 2009. Had to be pull started the rest of the ride. Put a shorai in it...
Now let me tell you about that battery. I have used it out on the ice middle of winter. One ride Was -20°f. Sitting on top of one of the biggest ice cubes in the World. Was a little week. But just crank it a few turns. Let it sit a couple of seconds cranks right up. Warms up the battery a little bit.
So installed in 2009. Totaled the Raptor. In 2013. Sat behind the house for 3+ years. Got the frame straightened and replaced all the bent stuff. Started right up. Rode it a few times. Started self building my house/shop. 2017 It sat in storage for 4 years. Started right up. Drove it out beside the shed. Still sits there. I ride it once in a while. Last winter put Studded tires on took it for a ride. Battery bought in 2009. Been through hell and back. Still crankin.
Needless to say. All of my bikes have shorai batteries in them.
The only thing you have to worry about is parasitic drain. When sitting. Obviously don't have to worry with the Raptor. I never disconnected the Raptor. But safest to just disconnect. When going to sit for a while.
The only shorai Ive had to Replace. Was the second one I bought. On a 4 day ride on my 86 fj1200. I didn't realize I had turned the ignition to park. (Turns marker lights on). Went into motel. Got up to a completely flat dead battery. Push started it. Rode it for about 30 miles while everybody ate breakfast. Was never as much power after that. But still way more than a lead acid. It finally wouldn't take a charge last year. Probably bought in 2013. Ran it dead shortly after buying it. I did put it on the shorai charger right after I brought it home. The shorai charger charges the cells individualy. And ballances them out.

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_061031283.jpg
    IMG_20161207_061031283.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180209_150741156_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180209_150741156_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I have a 660 Raptor and have changed the battery about every 3 years. My next battery just might have high explosives in it :)

Thanks for the review. I have a 660 Raptor and have changed the battery about every 3 years. My next battery just might have high explosives in it :)
Lol.
I had 2 660s. Wore them out. Bought the Raptor 700. Had 23 miles on it. He ad put cams in it. Exhaust. Intake. And tuner. Must have scared himself. I still love it. It's like riding an fzr1000 on the dirt. Wheelying up on the outside rear tire coming out of a corner. Holeshot spinning. Is awesome.
My second 660 had exhaust and Intake Re jetted(bothcarbs.lol). If you get to trade up to a 700 would be worth it.

Last edited:
I have a 2009 700 Raptor. That the stock. Yuasa? Battery died while riding on 3 day ride after feuling up at the gas station. In 2009. Had to be pull started the rest of the ride. Put a shorai in it...
Now let me tell you about that battery. I have used it out on the ice middle of winter. One ride Was -20°f. Sitting on top of one of the biggest ice cubes in the World. Was a little week. But just crank it a few turns. Let it sit a couple of seconds cranks right up. Warms up the battery a little bit.
So installed in 2009. Totaled the Raptor. In 2013. Sat behind the house for 3+ years. Got the frame straightened and replaced all the bent stuff. Started right up. Rode it a few times. Started self building my house/shop. 2017 It sat in storage for 4 years. Started right up. Drove it out beside the shed. Still sits there. I ride it once in a while. Last winter put Studded tires on took it for a ride. Battery bought in 2009. Been through hell and back. Still crankin.
Needless to say. All of my bikes have shorai batteries in them.
The only thing you have to worry about is parasitic drain. When sitting. Obviously don't have to worry with the Raptor. I never disconnected the Raptor. But safest to just disconnect. When going to sit for a while.
The only shorai Ive had to Replace. Was the second one I bought. On a 4 day ride on my 86 fj1200. I didn't realize I had turned the ignition to park. (Turns marker lights on). Went into motel. Got up to a completely flat dead battery. Push started it. Rode it for about 30 miles while everybody ate breakfast. Was never as much power after that. But still way more than a lead acid. It finally wouldn't take a charge last year. Probably bought in 2013. Ran it dead shortly after buying it. I did put it on the shorai charger right after I brought it home. The shorai charger charges the cells individualy. And ballances them out.
I’ve had this same kind of luck with Speedcell, I’ve bought 4 total and all 4 are still going strong. It seems like the ones who have the most problems with lithium are the ones who put them on trickle chargers, even the ones that are for lithium batteries. They do not need to be charged whatsoever, the only thing I do is unplug mine if the bike will be sitting for a while. Even if left unplugged for a couple of years they will still have a good charge. Plus they hold their voltage so much better under load which makes your bikes turn over so much faster. I’ve had a shorai as well, sold that bike to my nephew and it’s still going strong.
I do also make sure my cells are still balanced periodically. I’ve never had a single issue. I bought a lithium cell checker/balancer and built a harness to check the cells whenever I’m in there. It will also balance them if needed but they have always been perfectly balanced.

Lol.
I had 2 660s. Wore them out. Bought the Raptor 700. Had 23 miles on it. He ad put cams in it. Exhaust. Intake. And tuner. Must have scared himself. I still love it. It's like riding an fzr1000 on the dirt. Wheelying up on the outside rear tire coming out of a corner. Holeshot spinning. Is awesome.
My second 660 had exhaust and Intake Re jetted(bothcarbs.lol). If you get to trade up to a 700 would be worth it.
You're right. The 660 is nothing to brag about. I put a smaller front sprocket on it to get more go, a removable back rack and box on it and use it as a farm utility 4 wheeler. I pushed it hard a few times when I bought it (got it new in 2002) and things tended to break . At least after 3 starter clutchs I got a great aftermarket one that fixed Yamaha's failure. Yamaha seems to like to deny a problem...... "Second gear failures"

Alright, I'll try it. Putting in a Noco.

Also @Giantkiller, next time you make studded tires try the kenda klaws w/ MF44 screws. You can thank me later.
Thanks Ive had these for years. The 1" rears and 3/4" front. Snowmobile studs have backer plates. Don't ever have to worry about pulling one out. And it's almost too much traction. It's like riding on pavement. Ran screws for years. Will never go back. Friend of mine was world champion unstudded on motorcycle. For several years. Was really bizarre watching him lift the front wheel comming out of a corner on ice with no studs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back