Lithium Ion battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
The guy that works on my bike told me about these batteries and their high cranking amps to overcome the hard hot starting of the Vmax. Has anyone tried them and are they worth the money?

Li-iron battery weight.jpg When they first came-out, I got one, a Ballistic. I then bought another for a different bike, from an alternate supplier, Shorai. They both worked well, though the terminal on the Ballistic broke. I posted about my experiences with batteries.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/lithium-battery.35793/#post-383376

I just got a Deltran Lithium iron capable battery charger for Christmas. Using a lead/acid or AGM battery charger can shorten the life of a lithium battery. Given their cost, not something you want to do.
lead-acid VMax battery weight.jpg

Last edited:
My name is Donald 11, I live in Michigan and I had a 2007 very custom V max & I had put one in that bike & I really liked it. I never put it on a charger over the winter and every spring it would start right up, but if it cranked slow then I had to turn the lights the enough of a load was on it and bike fired right up. I would still have it , but in Aug of 2017 some low life's came on my property and hooked up my trailer and took it & my 07 was inside along with tools coolers. I t was it a cargo trailer sucks big time. Now Sean Morley is building me a bike to replace the bike I got from Clay M. Any way the battery was very small & light weight had to put some wood in there to raise the batt and wedge it in there nice and tight. Next time I have to replace a batt I will get one.

I did the Gold Wing battery box mod a few years ago. Wing batteries are readily available, and not too expensive. With all the extra cranking amps available because of the much larger siza, slow cranking is not an issue any more. Of course, if your starter or charging system is questionable, you're gonna have problems no matter what battery you have.

+1 on the Shorai, you actually turn on everything to "load" the battery! I have had mine in for at least 3rys, its kept on a Battery Tender maintainer but has NEVER needed to be charged. Users online say to never completely discharge a Shorai and it will last. Downside is only a lithium charger can bring it back should it ever be discharged completely. The few times I have ever had starting issues that Shorai would never go dead with many, 052113100348.jpg 050313144536.jpg many ten second cranking attempts. That foam in the box is meant for the stock battery box as filler.

We've putting an "earth x" battery in Don's bike which is lithium and also can be charged with a conventional charger. Not cheap but I do have them available.

Steve O and I converted a couple of years ago and would never go back. 1/3 the weight or less and much more capacity. Those that live in a warm climate might not notice it as much but for those of us that need to choke and sometimes need a couple of starter runs to get going you will not be sorry. As far a charging it's my understanding that conventional chargers can be used on a lithium battery. What you have to be careful for is using a charger that hits the battery with a big amp charge when you first hook it up. I know some on some chargers that feature can be turned off and your battery will be much happier.

+1 for the Shorai. Never had starting issue or had to charge mine in the 4 or so years i have had it. During the winter months i just start it up or take a short ride every couple weeks to keep it charged and make room for fresh fuel. As mentioned before, be careful on the terminals

This is good stuff. I'm reading up on the Shoria batter at it warns against leaving a battery tender attached to it once it reaches full charge. I'm currently using on of the small BatteryTender 750MA chargers to maintain my battery. Is anyone else using a tender and do you disconnect it after it reaches full charge?

I posted this in March of 2017. Still going strong with the same batteries in all 3 bikes, coming up on 4 years.

"I was always a believer in the Odyssey, until I bought my first Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery. It cranks the Max over faster (and idles smoother) than my Odyssey did, and the same battery fits the Max, the Hayabusa, and my '81 CB650C. It's lighter, smaller, and as far as I can tell, better in every way. Even has a second set of terminals, which makes it easier to add accessories, like the volt gauge and the USB charger. :)

I can't imagine I'll ever go back to any lead acid or AGM battery after this thing. (The attached photo is my CB650C battery next to the Lithium battery that replaced it. That's the same Lithium that fits the other two bikes, as well.)

cb650-battery-jpg.55475

May will be two years since I switched the first two bikes, and November will be two years for the third bike, so I can't attest to longevity yet. If they get anywhere close to the life I used to get from Odyssey, though, I'll be very pleased."

I bought a Shorai in Oct 2013. Used it on my 86 Vmax until it was totaled. Put the Shorai in my ZX14 for a few years. Bought another Vmax in April 2017 and moved the Shorai back into this Vmax. Bought an Antigravity Lithium Ion on eBay and running that in the ZX14. The Lithium Ion batteries are worth the money. The only weakness is they don't like to be fully discharged. My 86 Vmax was not charging the battery and it went dead when it was brand new. I tried to charge it and it failed. It was replaced under warranty. The Shorai I have now, which is between 5-6 years old, starts the bike like it is brand new. I'm guessing I will get over 10 years out of it. From what I have seen the CCA are much more. I will throw a DC amp clamp on it one day to do a comparison.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/bike-resto-in-full-effect.26991/page-8
Follow the link to see the battery I am still used today.
BTW the Antigravity brand has a low voltage cutout built in to protect the battery. Its a good feature.

I have run a Shorai since 2013 with no issues. But I plug it into a Shorai maint./tender every time. I have heard you can charge with regular low 2 amp charger but not to leave it on as a maint. charger. Take off as soon as you have the power to start the bike.

Latest posts

Back