Live and learn - paint job

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk203

Reaction score
So I work with a guy who is pretty artistic. He does characitures for people who are leaving. Air brushes shirts hats etc. He also likes drawing comice book characters etc.Ive seen some pretty cool work of his. A couple years ago he had offered to paint my previous bike which was a POS and I said thanks but I dont want to put any money into this thing. So when I got my max it was rattlecanned black from the PO. He again offered and I said I would take him up on it this time. We talked about what I wanted for a while and over the winter I gave him the tins and after three months I got them back. To my dissapointment the job is really sloppy and the design is just downright poorly executed. I had agreed to give $200 for the job before I had seen it and he was telling me how nice it came out the whole time he was working on it. He was saying the clearcoat is so thick and gorgeous blah blah blah. It is just downright sloppy. I could have re rattle canned it myself with possibly better results and a lot less cash. I am so upset with myself over wasting $200 :bang head:. I'm gonna have to get it reworked at a minimum and then tell him when he sees it. So hopefully the rest of you learn from my mistake and see someones actual paint work before you let them touch your bike. Ill put up a few pictures later so you can see what I'm stuck with for the time being.

oh that sucks man, its hard when you trust someone and they end up disapointing you. P/o of mine also rattle canned the back fender and looks kinda crappy, been looking for someone to paint it but dont want them to make it worse, hard to find a good painter in a small town.

Tell him you met a guy with a max that absolutely FELL in love with your tins and wanted one just like it, so you sold them to him. Be honest and tell him that it wasn't exactly what you wanted, so you took the guy up on his offer. Honestly 200 bucks isn't HORRIBLE! It could have been 1000 easily. Take them, send them to Sean and have his guy redo them for you.

Chris

Jdk208
Here are a few friends of mine web sites. They each have done some work for me.They both have very different styles. Eldon Amero here: http://eldonamero.com/index.html has done some work for me on my VW truck years ago and did some tailgate work for my wife for her business. The PT Cruiser on his web site, it is his brothers. It is something that you have to see in person. All the nails in the wood are rusty looking and have stained the wood , like in real life. The passenger door has a rusty hasp with a stick holding the door shut. Remember it is all paint! , Eldon painted my neighbors Harley years ago. Fabulous paint work , it looked like the bike was held together by duct tape and tree limbs. Very crazy work! Now Jeff Devey had done my Faux tank cover with the smeared Bio Hazard symbol it has silver leaf in it . With the tribal type flames. For some reason Jeff has no Website, but he has been in business for as long that Eldon has. I personally like both their work , they are pretty much totally opposite styles. But you can Email Jeff here: [email protected] I cannot tell you how much it will cost you for what you want. Before I even knew Jeff he had done my faux tank cover. Just the graphics and clear coated was $225 if I remember correctly. Now Eldon and I have known each other for years. He has always given me very very good deals. I wish I had a picture of my mailbox to post very nice flame job that Eldon had done. Also both of these guys have done dragsters that have been on the national circuit. Very nice work and you get what you pay for...
I hope that you get your paint issues taken care of

Gannon

Gannon

Seans guy did an awesome job for me.

I had a vision of what I wanted my bike to look like - and it came out perfectly.
Sure it was more than 200 dollars - but it was also MUCH cheaper than anything I could get done locally - and the quality was awesome.

By the way - let's see the pics!!!

Sorry didn't get out to the garage to take any good pics today. Pretty busy day family portraits this morning a little shopping ,took the kids to Elmo live this afternoon :biglaugh: and just got in from dinner a little bit ago and I have a headache that is killing me so Im going to bed any minute now. So for now Ill put up a few cell phone pics.

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 65
  • downsize(2).jpg
    downsize(2).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 0316001324.jpg
    0316001324.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 59
I like the idea you were going for there. But yeah that is sloppy.

what was the agreed upon design? was the dent in your faux there beforehand?

Oh man. That really stinks. You've got to seen examples of the guys work before you let them paint. On your bikes tin's its going to be very easy to see the lines and whether or not they are straight.

I took a chance on a guy to paint some helmets because he was down on his luck and said he could paint. Anyway, I sent him 4x old helmets to have a go with, and same thing. Pretty poor execution. Luckily they were just helmets. I let me kids use them on the sidecar and they pretty much beat the shit out of them, so now, the lines are less obvious.

The bike's tins though. Yeah ... make sure you see actual work first.

Sorry you had a bad experience mate. I just barely had the vmax tins painted this past winter, so I have a sense for how bummed you must have been to get them back and not have them perfect. Ugh.

what was the agreed upon design? was the dent in your faux there beforehand?

It was supposed to be Black with Silver scallops with a little bit of red on the silver. Not sponge art. He was supposed to airbrush it in. I found some pics online of something similar. hard to explain, maybe it was a bad idea too. But it wouldn't have been as bad if the lines were straight. The pin stripe was added in an attempt to tidy things up and it just made it worse. Think im gonna buy some of that vinyl pin stripe that sell at pepboys and try and cover up his pinstriped and see if that doesnt tidy things up a bit.

Yeah the dents were there before hand. Theyre intentionally put in and matching. Done by a PO and I think they were done to help clear the bars.

Yeah that's REALLY shitty... You know what... I think you got your 200 bucks worth though.

I paid 3 something for JUST the faux tank to have two large racing stripes put on.

I don't think you should have paid the guy to be honest with you. When I read your original post I could see where you agreed to pay the $200 before you'd seen the finished product. However, in your most recent post, your issue is two part. One being that its sloppy workmanship, but two that it isn't even what you asked for. If the sponge work was something that you never discussed nor was it shown that way in the example that you found then the sloppiness of it is just what you add on at the end of your complaint after you tell him "ummm this is nothing like what you and I discussed, PLUS it looks like shit!".

Back