Locate and adjust all six suspension components on a Yamaha VMAX 1700

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helpful info. However, he says there are 22 clicks on the top rebound adj knob. I went to bottom mine out to back them off to the stock setting. I stopped counting at 50 clicks. I ended up just backing them out all the way till they stopped and went downward 12 clicks.

Helpful info. However, he says there are 22 clicks on the top rebound adj knob. I went to bottom mine out to back them off to the stock setting. I stopped counting at 50 clicks. I ended up just backing them out all the way till they stopped and went downward 12 clicks.
I backed mine out 35 clicks and decided that was enough.

Nice video, thanks for the info, didn't know about the one down by the shaft. Everytime I ride this crazy missle I learn something new.

First thing that I did on mine was to set the sag using the slacker (I know.....its a gadget.....but its really cool), and makes setting the sag super easy. Then set the rebound, etc, to riding style, and how the bike feels. I put a tie wrap around one of the front forks, to see how much travel I was getting.

Here is Dave Moss using the Slacker:

Yep, thats it. Makes it SUPER easy. I like watching his videos on suspension set up.

Good vid indeed.
Helped me greatly to find where all settings are
A pity he doesn't hint very much on what settings one needs when you are a light or heavy driver
I am 115 kilo myself (253 lb) and I found that I needed almost maxed out preload and somewhere in the middle for rebound and compression, very happy with handling now!

Good vid indeed.
A pity he doesn't hint very much on what settings one needs when you are a light or heavy driver
I am 115 kilo myself (253 lb) and I found that I needed almost maxed out preload and somewhere in the middle for rebound and compression, very happy with handling now!
Thanks for this post. I'm going to try your settings.

Good vid indeed.

Was using the recommended settings from the service manual for the longest time before deciding to see exactly where sag was. I get about 35mm sag out of the shock with 5 lines showing on the preload. The forks are another story...had 50mm of sag with preload at minimum. Started cranking it down, re-measuring...ended up with adjusters turned all the way in & I still get 44mm sag. I weigh about 195 lbs with gear. It rides better after increasing preload but those .85kg springs definitely need replacing. Only place I've found that makes springs is Wilbers & they only come in 1kg rate. I don't know I need that much of an increase but it's all that's available...

Latest posts

Back