Long range fuel tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10mm

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am mew to the forum. I have an 09 vmax. Like everyone else who wants to use for long rides I have a fuel range problem I have saw people make an auxiliary fuel tank that you can put on a back rack. Wandering if anyone on here has done this?. I can figure out the tank portion. Curious how to tie in the fuel lines to stock tank. Where to get lines and fittings ect. Any input would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Just install a larger tank check out the great writes up people have posted about larger fuel tanks. I installed the 24.5 litre one one the best mods i have done no more fuel range problems now.

Just install a larger tank check out the great writes up people have posted about larger fuel tanks. I installed the 24.5 litre one one the best mods i have done no more fuel range problems now.
Where did you order?. How much to get it to Canada?. I'm just thinking of cost looks like 2000$ minimum..

Not sure how to add a link but i took a picture of page they sell two sizes. They answer emails pretty quick you pay by paypal. Cost me around $1800 plus they ship by mail. Well built tank no leaks at all. If you take your time over the winter install is not too hard just takes time to do it right.On fuel gauge it dont move to the first position tell about 74 km then second position around 130 km. Last fill up i went 210 km used 17.5 litres i dont drive slow was some hwy driving also not slow on there for sure i find i go through more fuel while driving on hwy because of speed i am traveling at going with traffic flow.

4D3D7738-252A-4F74-9CDC-B07D58D526E6.png

Not sure how to add a link but i took a picture of page they sell two sizes. They answer emails pretty quick you pay by paypal. Cost me around $1800 plus they ship by mail. Well built tank no leaks at all. If you take your time over the winter install is not too hard just takes time to do it right.On fuel gauge it dont move to the first position tell about 74 km then second position around 130 km. Last fill up i went 210 km used 17.5 litres i dont drive slow was some hwy driving also not slow on there for sure i find i go through more fuel while driving on hwy because of speed i am traveling at going with traffic flow.

View attachment 85719
Cool thanks for the info I'll check it out..

I have no regrets at all about spending the money on bigger tank. Can travel to our destinations now with out stoping two or three times

I just don't understand why they get such bad gas mileage?Yes,I know it's a performance bike but so is the gen 1. My 95 gets 38-40 consistently with some throttle control of course. With fuel injection and updated technology seems like they would do better than they do. But I guess it's hard for me to judge considering I don't own a gen 2.

I just don't understand why they get such bad gas mileage?Yes,I know it's a performance bike but so is the gen 1. My 95 gets 38-40 consistently with some throttle control of course. With fuel injection and updated technology seems like they would do better than they do. But I guess it's hard for me to judge considering I don't own a gen 2.
You can get reasonable mileage with some throttle control it's the small tank, with that you get short range. But I agree you would think there could be better fuel mapping when cruising. Raw power is what they were going for I guess and they achieved that..

You can get reasonable mileage with some throttle control it's the small tank, with that you get short range. But I agree you would think there could be better fuel mapping when cruising. Raw power is what they were going for I guess and they achieved that..
But the gen 1 size is 4.0 gallon and gen 2 is 3.96( according to google). Very little difference.

But the gen 1 size is 4.0 gallon and gen 2 is 3.96( according to google). Very little difference.
500cc difference and about 60hp. I would guess it's a little heavier but maybe not.. the tank is 15L. Which is 5L or more smaller then the average full size cruiser. The mileage definitely isn't as good but you don't buy a vmax for the mileage lol.. just looking to improve the range on long hauls you get tired of stopping or carrying extra fuel.. where I live gas stations are too far apart to make it if you don't plan on traveling before 8 pm..

500cc difference and about 60hp. I would guess it's a little heavier but maybe not.. the tank is 15L. Which is 5L or more smaller then the average full size cruiser. The mileage definitely isn't as good but you don't buy a vmax for the mileage lol.. just looking to improve the range on long hauls you get tired of stopping or carrying extra fuel.. where I live gas stations are too far apart to make it if you don't plan on traveling before 8 pm..
More hp= less of a strain.

More hp= less of a strain.
i met a guy from NC that took some fiberglass bags and turned them into gas tanks. he said that they give him about 650 miles when he fills all up. don’t know where he got them but they looked good. he had it so the bag tanks pumped into the main tanks.

i met a guy from NC that took some fiberglass bags and turned them into gas tanks. he said that they give him about 650 miles when he fills all up. don’t know where he got them but they looked good. he had it so the bag tanks pumped into the main tanks.
That's sweet, I have the tank part figured out. I'm trying to find out the plumbing side. The lines and fittings. I've saw a few set ups but couldn't see the lines and stuff under the seat.

I don’t know know why they didn’t make them 6 speed transmission with 6th being “overdrive”. That would certainly help on the highway, right? And both gen’s have plenty of power to pull another gear.

I don’t know know why they didn’t make them 6 speed transmission with 6th being “overdrive”. That would certainly help on the highway, right? And both gen’s have plenty of power to pull another gear.
It would be awesome for sure.. I've heard there may be someone producing a kit but haven't researched.

you wouldn't want to be near if that bike came down on its side.
dcb3acb4d5a4faf0-.gif

the vmax tank is quite well better protected within the frame.

PS Thinking about it, I have to say although the larger capacity fuel tanks are very expensive, they are the safest option - if you consider that they may stop you burn injuries casued by strapped on fuel tanks in crash, then it's a low price to pay.

Back