Look what showed up at a shop I use

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I painted lots of car body parts and bikes, any questions, let me know. I am not a professional painter. Beside glowing paint, I painted pearl, never painted candy. Painting is not complicated, pretty simple.
Paint is ea
I painted lots of car body parts and bikes, any questions, let me know. I am not a professional painter. Beside glowing paint, I painted pearl, never painted candy. Painting is not complicated, pretty simple.
Do you shake a spray can for the full 2 minutes?
Or do you use a roller?

Paint is easter

Or do you use a roller?
I'm sure I read that a while back Rolls Royce cars were hand painted with a brush o_O , as you can imagine, it takes a lot of practise. to gain that amount of skill. Nowadays they are painted by roberts only because its cheaper.

Some guy (don't ask who :eek::D ) many years ago painted 99 Harley bagger (FLHTCUI) with red spray can paint. The bike looked horrible, cost of cans was higher than real automotive paint and it took long time. The bike was sold for about 2k less, but the guy got smarter and started using real paint.:)

The thing about this Jag was the Chevy drivetrain and the pros that did the conversion. Pros through and through.

The thing about this Jag was the Chevy drivetrain and the pros that did the conversion. Pros through and through.
Please specify advantages of Chevy drivetrain, I don't know any.

Jagrolets have been common since the 1950's. One of the famous USA moto-journalists (before 'motojournalist' was a noun) had an XK-E Jagrolet. The Mark X and the 420 (no, not that 420!) and the XJ6 were often recipients of SBC's.

It might have been Dexter Ford.

Paint is ea

Or do you use a roller?
Sorry I couldn't resist, time for a little levity. Is that kind of like "I'm not a professional carpenter but if you have any questions about building your house let me know - pounding nails is pretty simple. "

We've all emptied our share of rattle cans but running a paint booth is not the same, LOL.

Sorry I couldn't resist, time for a little levity. Is that kind of like "I'm not a professional carpenter but if you have any questions about building your house let me know - pounding nails is pretty simple. "

We've all emptied our share of rattle cans but running a paint booth is not the same, LOL.
I painted about 100 car body parts and about 10 bikes on my back yard (no paint booth). My paint job is not perfect, but it is OK, I think. There is car paint forum, you can ask questions there.
BTW, I built a garage 20 years ago, building a house is not such a big deal. I would build a house, no problem. Get a blueprint first.

You're joking right ?

Compared to a Jag motor ?

R-E-L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y .
Cost of parts and labor to rebuild.
Unlimited Performance possibilities.
Slightly different point of view:
installing carb Chevy: mechanic's brain is stuck somewhere around 50 years ago before fuel injection era.
installing injected Chevy: cost of replacement is exceeding Jag engine repair/replacement about 10 times(?)
50 HP (?)gain is not needed for anything else beside bragging rights.
Whatever makes people happy!!!!
There was XJS with Chevy carb engine and w/o air conditioner on craigslist. Selling a car w/o AC in FL is not easy.
BTW, lots of Jags on junk yards, parts are dirt cheap.

People have moved from SBC swaps to LS swaps in Jags. Whenever I have some guy with a Jag ask me what it will cost to do the swap, I always tell him it will be cheaper to get a whole Chevy and just drive that. But with the swap, you can get AC, PS, even emissions compliant too. I have swapped a couple LS engines in them. Wiring is the most time consuming. Turning the harness around to get the ECM inside the body is the part I hate the most cause it involves cutting and lengthening the harness to get the right fit. People with British vehicles were never told what I was told when I was knee high to a grasshopper.....AVOID like the plague. Nothing but a problem waiting to happen.

People have moved from SBC swaps to LS swaps in Jags. Whenever I have some guy with a Jag ask me what it will cost to do the swap, I always tell him it will be cheaper to get a whole Chevy and just drive that. But with the swap, you can get AC, PS, even emissions compliant too. I have swapped a couple LS engines in them. Wiring is the most time consuming. Turning the harness around to get the ECM inside the body is the part I hate the most cause it involves cutting and lengthening the harness to get the right fit. People with British vehicles were never told what I was told when I was knee high to a grasshopper.....AVOID like the plague. Nothing but a problem waiting to happen.
Very high level job. What was HP gain??

Its whatever the engine is rated for. The ones I swapped were nothing more than 5.3L engines. 275-290HP. None I swapped were built for speed or performance. The entire LS line has the mount kits for nearly any swap you want to do from the 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 6.2L. The engine swaps I did included the either 4L60e or the 6L60e transmissions. The wiring harnesses were already set up for those and only required the same modifications to the wiring to tuck the TCM with the ECM. If you had the time, money, parts, and ambition, I dont see why you couldnt dump a 6.2L supercharged LS in. 650HP in that engine in stock form. And since LS engines can be built to withstand ridiculous amounts of power.....only your pocketbook prevents you from building the ultimate engine.

I sent ECMs out to eliminate the immobilizer. Starter signal is put in as it was before computers with the ignition switch sending the signal directly. A custom fuse panel is made and placed under the hood for all engine related power sources. The Jags I converted had the Check Engine Light in the instrument cluster so a few wires from the engine or the ECM made the dash function normally. OBD2 connector can be placed anywhere under the dash you deem fit.

In my personal experience, those types of swaps are a waste of time, energy and money. Very few know what the work is worth while others think is a simple swap that can be done in 7 hours. Yes, you can make money at it if you do enough of them. But only if you convert one type of Jag. Every Jag I converted was a different body a different generation and different style. You end up breaking even or taking a loss doing the swap. The swap isnt what gets you. Its the nuanced details. If it isnt wiring, its cooling. If it isnt cooling, its some fabricated hose leaking. If it isnt a hose, its a fitment issue.

People who want Chevrolet engines can save a bunch of money simply by buying a Chevrolet with that engine. Mixing and matching only leads you with an AMC and we all know why they didnt stick around.

LS engine with transmission are probably $3-5k or so

People who want Chevrolet engines can save a bunch of money simply by buying a Chevrolet with that engine. Mixing and matching only leads you with an AMC and we all know why they didnt stick around.
If you replaced 'AMC' with 'Checker,' I might have agreed with you. Checker automobiles, made in Michigan, used Chevrolet engines. While AMC had a 327 it was their own proprietary engine.

As a teenager, I got to drive my older brother's vintage XK120's (he had two) and while they were ~15+ years old, they would easily turn 115 mph before my brother decided that was fast-enough.

The XK120 was a sensation in the post-WWII period, and Jaguar sent an early model to Belgium, where with a smaller windshield and aero aids, it turned 141 MPH, just-after Elizabeth II became Queen (1952 for her, 1953 for the Jaguar). Norman Dewis was the driver, he set multiple records for Jaguar and was highly-respected among racers over decades. He also helped launch the XK-E. His life story would make a great movie.
BRITAIN’S GREATEST TEST DRIVER, NORMAN DEWIS OBE, PASSES AWAY | Jaguar Media Newsroom

1644453982664.png

A year later (1953) a 1952 Jaguar with prep and a bubble canopy for streamlining, not unlike Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth installed on his famous Mysterion showcar, on the same Belgium roadway as the 1949 record run, went 172 MPH. At that time, Chevrolet was still running flathead sixes.

1644452773266.png

Ed Roth doing bodywork on the Mysterion:

1644452968470.png
1644453079442.png

1644499312077.png
The Corvette takes me back. My best friend when I was a kid was Robby Ingram. His dad James had a 72 Corvette Stingray that same color. We all piled into that thing to go see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when it first came out.

Robby was shot and killed at the age of 24 in 1993 as a Cobb County Police Officer.

If you replaced 'AMC' with 'Checker,' I might have agreed with you. Checker automobiles, made in Michigan, used Chevrolet engines. While AMC had a 327 it was their own proprietary engine.

As a teenager, I got to drive my older brother's vintage XK120's (he had two) and while they were ~15+ years old, they would easily turn 115 mph before my brother decided that was fast-enough.

The XK120 was a sensation in the post-WWII period, and Jaguar sent an early model to Belgium, where with a smaller windshield and aero aids, it turned 141 MPH, just-after Elizabeth II became Queen (1952 for her, 1953 for the Jaguar). Norman Dewis was the driver, he set multiple records for Jaguar and was highly-respected among racers over decades. He also helped launch the XK-E. His life story would make a great movie.
BRITAIN’S GREATEST TEST DRIVER, NORMAN DEWIS OBE, PASSES AWAY | Jaguar Media Newsroom

View attachment 82620

A year later (1953) a 1952 Jaguar with prep and a bubble canopy for streamlining, not unlike Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth installed on his famous Mysterion showcar, on the same Belgium roadway as the 1949 record run, went 172 MPH. At that time, Chevrolet was still running flathead sixes.

View attachment 82617

Ed Roth doing bodywork on the Mysterion:

View attachment 82618
View attachment 82619

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMC_engines
I never said AMC never made their own engine. But they also used anyone and everyone elses engine in their vehicles as well.

Back