Looking at a 2004

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabre tooth

Reaction score
I have come across a 2003 V Max For Sale with 20,000 KM (12000 miles) on it. It appears that the brass plugs are still in the carbs and in the Video the guy sent me ,it sounds really smooth (cold). Are there any particular problems associated with the 03 model that i should be aware of when i actually see the bike in person. Also, did i read somewhere that the second gear issue that was common on the early first gen bikes was resolved by 1999 or thereabouts?

I have come across a 2003 V Max For Sale with 20,000 KM (12000 miles) on it. It appears that the brass plugs are still in the carbs and in the Video the guy sent me ,it sounds really smooth (cold). Are there any particular problems associated with the 03 model that i should be aware of when i actually see the bike in person. Also, did i read somewhere that the second gear issue that was common on the early first gen bikes was resolved by 1999 or thereabouts?

To the best of my knowledge, all upgrades to the Max were completed by the 2002-03 model years, right down to the fork protectors. Changes after this were purely cosmetic (paint, badges)
And yes, the one-piece shifting segment had been incorporated previously.
In summary, 2003 was by far the best model year!:biglaugh:
I would inquire about how the bike was stored during the wintertime (non-ethanol gas, fuel stabilizer?) The intact brass plugs are a good sign. 12 k is hardly broken in, providing the bike was not abused, and the oil/filter had been changed regularly (preferably once a year, regardless of annual mileage)
Cheers!

Yeah Miles, the guy sounds genuine. He keeps her stored in a heated garage and has used fuel stabilizer as long as he has owned it. I will be watching for black oil in the sight glass,even though he says it has had regular oil changes. The pics he sent seem to indicate that he took care of it meticulously. The fork seals are leaking he said......i wonder if its from slamming it down too hard after wheelies....lol

Attachments

• IMG_0082[1].jpg
    IMG_0082[1].jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0083[1].jpg
    IMG_0083[1].jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0084[1].jpg
    IMG_0084[1].jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0086[1].jpg
    IMG_0086[1].jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0089[1].jpg
    IMG_0089[1].jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 26
I see 21K on the clock, still looks like a very clean well cared for Max, I would still be sure to check it out good including the test for 2nd popping out..............Tom.

I see 21K on the clock, still looks like a very clean well cared for Max, I would still be sure to check it out good including the test for 2nd popping out..............Tom.

Yup, most everyone says to check for the second gear issues, by test riding.
The bike looks really clean, as you say it was probably well cared for (maybe even "babied"?) Look for tire deposits under the rear fender. Burnouts don't necessary mean that it was abused.....Just sayin'....
If it still has the original tires on it (doubtful), I'd buy it without thinking twice. Almost a guarantee that it has been babied.
I wouldn't be too concerned about black oil in the sightglass. Whenever I change my oil, it's black within a few kilometers of riding. I think that's a result of the wet clutch arrangement.

Cheers!
edit - can't say for sure if leaking fork seal are a sign of wheelies. Other folks may comment. What I do know is that my front wheel was always planted, and I didn't see a bad seal till about 60k kilometers.

Is it safe to say that it should suck the sight glass down low when idling as an indication that the o ring is still in place? Would it have to be at full throttle in second for it to pop out if the problem exists?

Is it safe to say that it should suck the sight glass down low when idling as an indication that the o ring is still in place? Would it have to be at full throttle in second for it to pop out if the problem exists?

I can tell that you've been doing your research. I can't say definitively what constitutes positive checks for oil tube o-ring integrity, or transmission wellness.
Others will have to chime in.
Check out the British "V-max Chat" forum, if you haven't already. Contains a wealth of info, similar to this forum. You could even P.M. "MaxMidnight", a regular contributor on this forum, and a moderator on the British site. He could probably link you to some very detailed answers.
One thing for certain- the oil gallery piping was upgraded, (maybe 2001?)to address the displaced o-ring problem, but it's still no guarantee that the ring will stay in place.
Operating the bike at high revs, while the engine is still cold (and oil pressure is at it's highest), is thought to be the reason that the ring pops out of place.
Chances are, if the owner is mature adult, he knew enough about engines to let his bike warm up first.
Cheers!

Sabre, if it pops out it will probably be under the rpm the boost kicks in. I have seen early models(85) kick out at below 3000 rpm. Best to get it up there in rpm's though.

Back