Looking For A New GPS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It Has A Lot of Great Reviews , But It Might Be A While Before I Get To Use It ......
The Bike It’s Going On Is Up On The Lift At The Moment , Getting A New Front Fender , It Has To Be Fitted Then Painted . And A New Air Box , And Air Cleaner Assembly ......
The Picture On The Left Is The Air Filter Assembly I Bought And The Picture On The Right Is The Front Fender I Bought .
Cant Wait Til’ It’s Done !
But I Will Post About It After I’ve Used It !

Attachments

• 09D8709C-1EC6-43D3-8259-65347801FE70.png
    09D8709C-1EC6-43D3-8259-65347801FE70.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 31012466-8B5E-4372-9C1D-0367075683FB.jpeg
    31012466-8B5E-4372-9C1D-0367075683FB.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
A Garmin has served me well for some years. Used successfully in the UK and mainland Europe. Came with a cradle to mount on the handlebar and is powered from the bike. The installed battery good for around three hours, although a standard USB connection means it can be charged at home, or when used in the car. On the bike audio linked by Bluetooth to Cardo intercom. To date no problems with free updates.
However, maybe don't dismiss Google Maps on a smartphone. Obviously depends on phone set up and associated running costs, but I know of several people who are more than happy with phone based options.
I use iPhone X, the only issue is when the temp drops to freezing the battery life drops to 5% and iPhone drops off line. Wife’s iPhone does the same so I would caution anyone using a cell/mobile phone if you ride in cool climes. Otherwise, the navigation apps and options on mobiles are as good as most dedicated GPS

I’ve already mentioned I have the garmin motorcycle zumo. After reading the last few posts i thought i’ll start this up and just see if the battery still has a charge after a year and half of not being switched on at all. What a unit this is; it started up, has a very low battery but amazing it still has power. Also i see s-c-j says about battery life, all i can say is that i’ve had a touch over 3 & 3/4 hours out of mine when in use without charge. Also it has the option of putting in north/west coordinates (and other coordinate formats) to a high accuracy that finds a destination down to a few meters, and when i go to europe i use this unit and another unit together to get very accurate locations. Small screen in comparison to my other car unit, but you cannot win them all.

Its me again.

Just realised that my tom-tom units have limited ability for coordinate system inputs, but the garmin i have many choices of how i input the format of the coordinate system for much higher accuracy.

Latest posts

Back