• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

looking for adjustable levers for an 85

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxRider85

Reaction score
hi guys my name is mike im 21 new to the site been riding an 85 vmax that was my dads from new back in 85 got a tattoo of the bike on me diehard max fan!

i had a question was looking for adjustable levers for the 85 and i only seem to find some on ebay which is this site ------> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZF10...163df2&vxp=mtr
they come from china and want 4 weeks to ship really wanted to be riding in less than 2.

but for some reason i took mine off and they really dont look like they will fit. can anyone help me ???

this bike is old and i know people dont want to make aftermarket parts for these bikes and it might be hard to find.

id really not like to go through ebay and wait 4 weeks and actually get a nice product in less time but if someone thinks these are ok and will fit let me know !!
progress.gif

adjustable levers 85 v max

hi guys my name is mike im 21 new to the site been riding an 85 vmax that was my dads from new back in 85 got a tattoo of the bike on me diehard max fan!

i had a question was looking for adjustable levers for the 85 and i only seem to find some on ebay which is this site ------> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZF10...163df2&vxp=mtr
they come from china and want 4 weeks to ship really wanted to be riding in less than 2.

but for some reason i took mine off and they really dont look like they will fit. can anyone help me ???

this bike is old and i know people dont want to make aftermarket parts for these bikes and it might be hard to find.

thanks !!
progress.gif

Re: adjustable levers 85 v max

i really like to find a black set with a red adjuster they looked cool from what ive seen on later maxes

Mike, welcome to the forum. It is awesome you have a bike that has been in the family so long. Hope you post some pics of it. Good luck on your search for the levers. If the EBay ones don't pan out, I think Exactrep may carry some.

thanks man ill deff get some pictures up im repainting the motor right now got the whole bike apart in my garage.. ill post some once i figure out how to !! lol

I bought those a few months ago and they DO NOT fit. Attached are pics showing the stock levers and these levers.

Attachments

• Face Left - R.jpg
    Face Left - R.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Face Right - R.jpg
    Face Right - R.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 89
  • On Edge - R.jpg
    On Edge - R.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 78

wow mc good thing i didnt buy them sorry to hear that for ya... i really want to find a set and not from china and wait four weeks. thanks for saving me the time and the money and the BS cause i would of been out of 40 bucks!!

I have been looking for adjustable levers for years that are reasonable in price. So far, no luck. I will not spend several hundred dollars for levers! :bang head:

I may be wrong but I think the only way to get adjustable levers on a Vmax is to replace the master cylinders with 83 to 85 FJR 1300 master cylinders

For you riders that have shorter fingers... donno what they were thinking when they designed them. Engineer defiantly had size XL hands. Here's a cheap way to adjust your levers... don't laugh it works. Buy a vise if you don't have one... cheaper than the adjustable levers.

Pad the vise jaws with a heavy rag. Crank the vise and bend your lever it to where you can grab it comfortably once mounted. Be careful a little at a time.

Bend lever.jpg

unfortunately the 'cheapest' way to get adjustable levers may be to swap your your master cylinders. then you can get the chinese ones for about $25 or so shipped.

merged the threads. In the future Mike, one thread will do, sometimes you'll get less answers with 2 threads.

I have got the shits with my levers at the moment so I looked into these.
The levers on e-bay, like the ones Redbone put a link to, have got a little remnant of the original German specs. It says "mit nissin zubehor-handbremspumpe" which means "nissin accessories with hand-brake pump".

The pics all look similar. I think that is the answer! They only fit aftermarket Nissin master cylinders.
Maybe these : http://shindypro.com/catalog/each_q_ptype.key29.html
or these : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GSXR-60...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d32648ed5&vxp=mtr

Is that a mirror mount where the reservoir bolts on?

I have got the shits with my levers at the moment so I looked into these.
The levers on e-bay, like the ones Redbone put a link to, have got a little remnant of the original German specs. It says "mit nissin zubehor-handbremspumpe" which means "nissin accessories with hand-brake pump".

The pics all look similar. I think that is the answer! They only fit aftermarket Nissin master cylinders.
I was afraid of that, but my translations skills are nonexistant. Maybe the unit that Gary posted will work, they are cheaper than the MEK units. Can anyone shed some light (interpet French) or have experiance with them? TIA

I was afraid of that, but my translations skills are nonexistant. Maybe the unit that Gary posted will work, they are cheaper than the MEK units. Can anyone shed some light (interpet French) or have experiance with them? TIA

Translation:

"Yamaha V Max 1988 / 2008 - Levier Frein Flip Up Ajustable Nouvelle G?n?ration de levier r?tractable ""Flip Up"" ?vitant la casse en cas de chute malheureuse. Ces leviers sont aussi r?glable en longueur et ?cartement permettant de passer facilement entre 2 et 4 doigts (entre 85 et 115 mm). La molette de r?glage offre 6 niveaux d'?cartement ainsi chacun y trouvera son compte. En aluminium taill? dans la masse, le confort offert par ces leviers Flip Up ajustable satisferont autant les motards d?butants que les pilotes confirm?s."​

Yamaha Vmax 1988 / 2000 - New Generation Flip Up ajustable style lever with a rectractable design that will avoid breakage in case of a spill. These levers also feature an adjustable length and depth for either 2 or 4 finger use (between 85 and 115mm). The depth adjuster offers 6 positions that are clearly marked. Made of solid billet aluminum, the comfort offered by these adjustable Flip Up levers will satisfy riders from beginner to experienced.

I think the ones that Gary posted are incredibly similar to the ones Redbone posted.
Like, they were made in the same factory, they are so similar. Mostly just different fasteners?

My concern is that with all the ones posted in this thread so far (except MEK which I can't tell) have looked the same at the cylinder end. ie. like the pics that m-cman posted. (copied below)

Need more pictures. :ummm: Especially of what MEK sends.
Maybe there is something new, coz I have the feeling this subject has been looked at plenty!!

Attachments

• levers1.jpg
    levers1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
Back