Looking for advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBE

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is there any product to get this shining again?
317906290_681940730275076_1934896605215745107_n.jpg317953855_1292494694659461_4358041954783714966_n.jpg

There was corrosion on mine. From memory there is some kind of coating that when removed, exposes the cast aluminium. The aluminium is not an even colour so looks shit. I sprayed it in silver but later replaced it with one in better condition.

If I had not found that part, it would have been sent away fir powder coating on a shiny black.

I other words, I don't think polishing the alloy will give a satisfactory finish.

I use a Martin Senour cast aluminum paint. That's because I'm too lazy to do it with the Kyle Metal Restoration method. Actually using the aircraft stripper and then fine wet or dry sandpaper just like Kyle describes, before I use the Martin Senour, has given me good results.

I do have a buffing wheel which I sometimes will use. The rosin stick you use makes all the difference, It's like sandpaper you'll start our coarse (red) and go fine (white). Like anything worthwhile you need to invest time. The Baldor motors for polishing are powerful and speed at which it runs is important.

Last edited:
Polishing will give you more pride. Anyone can buy chromeded parts. But to each their own.

Just remember if you polish. It will require maintenance. To keep it looking good.

Remove it from your bike. Use paint remover to remove paint and clean it. Then sand it or use steel wood pads with soap. After it looks ok, use a drilling or polish machine to get perfect look. I use Autosol polish on my polish machine.
BUT, if you use your bike in rain, I recommend paint it with new clear coat after you are happy with your polish. You must use clear coat for aluminium. Ask your dealer.
I keep the shaft drive on my Madura 1200 without clear coat for 28 years. Only wash it 5 minute with autosol on wet sponge when I wash my bike and dry it immediately. That bike never see rain. Engine cover, radiator cover and backrest was sent to get chrome.
If you send it to get chrome, remember to store your bike a place it is over +5 degrees wintertime. If it goes under 0 degrees, it will start corrosion under the chrome.

Raw aluminum polishes up nicely but will tarnish quickly after the clear coat is removed.
Have U ever used sharkhide coating. It works pretty good. Keeps the oxidation/aluminum rust to a minimum. But if you're going to polish it to a mirror finish you better off just getting it clear powder coated.

Have U ever used sharkhide coating. It works pretty good. Keeps the oxidation/aluminum rust to a minimum. But if you're going to polish it to a mirror finish you better off just getting it clear powder coated.
Ask me how I know, I spent about 3hrs polishing each wheel. I was spending almost an hour trying to keep them clean every time I wash my truck. So I ended up having them powder coated clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20220217_004619175.jpg
    IMG_20220217_004619175.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Here's using the aluminum paint (see post #6) for castings, very satisfied with how it's come out.VMax painted scoops-handlebar casting.jpgVMax scoop silver paint.jpg

I've gotten polished ones after working them over with a buffing wheel, and also chromed ones, If you want chrome, send 'em to Sean Morley, he has a tradesman who does great work.

Back