Looking for an experienced Vmax mechanic in Iowa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone808

Reaction score
Hello. I'm trying to find a mechanic here in Iowa who is capable of working on the carbs of my gen 1. My poor bike has been worked on by multiple mechanics who claimed to know how to work on a Vmax but ended up making it worse. I need someone familiar with this great bike to not only get it running good again, but also fix the mistakes from the other mechanics. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi Sean. Thanks for the quick reply. I've actually emailed you before about getting my seat recovered.

I want to check the spark at each plug first. Recently I had a rear left side coil wire pop out of the coil pack. It was very obviously missing. When I figured that out, I plugged the wire back into the pack. After that it wasn't missing but now it's hesitating. It's also back firing slightly from the muffler on that side. I wonder if my coil pack is malfunctioning now. I replaced all four spark plugs but that didn't help. I assume the coil packs on my bike are original and 27 years old now.

On a side note... Do you do the 1500 conversion I've heard about? Or do you even recommend it?

The 1428 is a better overall size. Hopefully we'll have a machinist up and running again later this year.

Latest posts

Back