Looking for Elixir to Remove Coating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the elixir to remove the coating on the VBoost Module control board..................mine is not peeling like previously described by others...........thanks

Heat, dental pick and patience. No elixir will disolve the coating without undesirable collateral damage.

Why do you want to remove it? The only reason would be to resolder the board as they are prone to track breaks anddry joints (like I did with mine) but I seem to recall your vboost is working?

And yes, scraping it off by finger nail was how I think did it.

There is a silicone sealant remover chemical that may work, I've not tried it but it softens silicone sealant to make it crumble away.

Why do you want to remove it? The only reason would be to resolder the board as they are prone to track breaks anddry joints (like I did with mine) but I seem to recall your vboost is working?

And yes, scraping it off by finger nail was how I think did it.

There is a silicone sealant remover chemical that may work, I've not tried it but it softens silicone sealant to make it crumble away.
It was working and then out of nowhere it quit and I gave it the "twist and bend" test and sure enough it would work a little and then quit..........so am looking at removing silicone and resoldering the joints...................is there any particular place where the traces break?

Heat, dental pick and patience. No elixir will disolve the coating without undesirable collateral damage.
Tried the hair dryer on high and 1/8" from the surface for about 1 minute and walla! I was able to slip my little box knife under the silicone and then peel out fairly large chunks at a time...............all done and ready to solder...................thanks again for the tip

Google Image Result for https://acegif.com/wp-content/gif/wowo-applause-10.gif
[VBoost not working, VBoost repair, VBoost resolder. Happy as Larry

Could you see the connections were bad or just luck?

In my case I looked at the underside of the board with a magnifying glass and eventually spotted a tiny crack around one of the pins.

Like you, the unit would work intermittently and could be made to work by pressing on the plastic cover which identified a bad connection........ and like you I started to work on making a replacement based on a Microcontroller.

I have a controller I'm not using. It's off my 85.
Was removed in 87.when my vmax went stage7. Also have the butterflies. If you need them.
Make me an offer. I'm open to cash or trades.(vmax items)

Google Image Result for https://acegif.com/wp-content/gif/wowo-applause-10.gif

Could you see the connections were bad or just luck?

In my case I looked at the underside of the board with a magnifying glass and eventually spotted a tiny crack around one of the pins.

Like you, the unit would work intermittently and could be made to work by pressing on the plastic cover which identified a bad connection........ and like you I started to work on making a replacement based on a Microcontroller.
I examined the board with a magnifying glass (3x) but couldn't really see anything.............one of the wire connections was a little dark around the edge of the connection but the solder was shiny on all the joints................I was going to resolder them one at a time and test the unit but decided that would take too much time and too many trips up and down the stairs to my work space and just did them all at once.

Was removed in 87.when my vmax went stage7. Also have the butterflies. If you need them.
Thank you for the offer...............I do need another unit for my 85 but don't want to spend the money that I see in ebay for a replacement and I assume you know the current value of the units................I'm still considering the conversion over to a servo motor with microcontroller.

Hey Woodie, so when you did the stage 7 that eliminates the controller?

Hey Woodie, so when you did the stage 7 that eliminates the controller?
Yes.with stage7 no more butterflies to open.they get replaced with tubes.that allows 2 carbs to feed each cylinder.so. think of it like a 4 barrel carburetor.running on all 4.all the time.

Latest posts

Back