Looking for help!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hijinx1812

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is in the wrong area (couldn't find anywhere this would fit into), but I'm trying to find someone in the Detroit metro area to help me with checking/adjusting my valve clearances. I'm not mechanically illiterate, but this is one job I don't want to jump into alone. I almost bit the bullet and took it to a shop, but the cheapest I could find charges $50/hr and 10 hours to do it. Even just a lead to someone who does them at their house would be great. Thanks!

I just did my valves on sunday. First time I've done them on something other than a single cylinder quad/dirt bike/or lawn mower.

Between the how to on the forum, the OEM shop manual, and the manual Dman sent me a link to (thanks again) i felt properly armed.

I had a hard time seeing the timing marks. I gave up trying and just measured my clearance with the cam lobes in line with the valve cover mounting holes.

Once you get the hang of it, it's not a bad job. It took me a few tries to get the hang of where to rotate the shim buckets before inserting the tool so they rotate in a position that is easy to remove the shim. Also took a couple tries to figure out the best angle to put the cam at before the tool went on to ensure I had the maximum amount of space to pop the shims out.

I'm not sure what worked for others but, for me, 2 picks worked great for removing the shims. Once It popped loose from the bucket I used a magnet to pull it out.

I didn't use the chart in any of the manuals. I used metric feelers. No conversions needed. If the clearance is .05 mm too tight, use a shim that is 5 less than what is in there now. I.E. if you find a 265 in there, install a 260 to gain .05 mm of clearance. I found it best to rotate the engine at least one full turn after installing a new shim to make sure it is fully seated in the bucket before before checking you new measurement.

I recommend spraying the valve cover gaskets with permatex hi tack on the side that touches the cover only. let it dry for a couple minutes then work it into the groove in the valve cover. The spray will hold it in there and makes install easy. Before you slap the covers back on put some sealant on the cylinder head side of the gasket but, only on the half round part, and the corners where it transitions from flat to half round. Don't need much, just a real thin coating. I used yamabond. A black sealant would have been nice, less visible. Not that you can really see it unless you examine the area

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement Mike - I'm tossing around the idea of just doing it myself. How long did it take you to do it? Is it an afternoon and a sixer job? Thanks

I apologize if this is in the wrong area (couldn't find anywhere this would fit into), but I'm trying to find someone in the Detroit metro area to help me with checking/adjusting my valve clearances. I'm not mechanically illiterate, but this is one job I don't want to jump into alone. I almost bit the bullet and took it to a shop, but the cheapest I could find charges $50/hr and 10 hours to do it. Even just a lead to someone who does them at their house would be great. Thanks!

Hijinx, contact Damon Ferraiuolo at [email protected] or send a pm to Damon from this site. Believe he lives near South Lyon, Mi. He's one of the best gen1 Vmax experts / mechanics in the world!

I finished this job a few weeks ago. As the previous post says it takes some getting used to rotating the cams to just the right spot. Get a good pick and a magnet. A nice adjustable light to see in there as well. I used Morleys shim kit which is a must for the shim selection. The hardest part is getting the covers off! I took a week in cold weather doing mine but I wasn't in any hurry whatsoever. Follow the how - too and other tips from vmf. Take your time. If I can do it anyone can.

Dale

I sent an email to Damon - I'll see what he says. If the price is still out of my range, I'll give it a whirl myself. Thanks for the tips and leads. As soon as I'm comfortable that the bike will be ok for longer hauls, I'd like to hookup with some people and go riding. Thanks again!

Damon responded back and we're a go in a couple of weeks. He seems like a really nice guy and I'm amazed at his price considering his reputation. I'll update once she's done. Thanks for the lead!

Damon responded back and we're a go in a couple of weeks. He seems like a really nice guy and I'm amazed at his price considering his reputation. I'll update once she's done. Thanks for the lead!

You can't go wrong with Damon that's for sure. All round great guy!:clapping:

Dale

Latest posts

Back