Looking for some advice about the state of Maine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTwistedNomad

Reaction score
I know this is not bike related but thought this might be the place to post it. My wife and I have decided to do a last minute trip to Maine, I wish I was taking the bike but it will be a cage ride. Anyway, I was wondering if folks here on the forum would be able to give me some advice as to where to stay (town wise), we want to stay along the ocean and eat a pile of fresh seafood and drive along the coast checking out the vistas. Our thought was somewhere in the middle of the coast and take one day to travel south and the next to travel north using the town as our base. We know nothing about the state so with that limited knowledge it seems to be difficult to pinpoint a starting point. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Will

I know this is not bike related but thought this might be the place to post it. My wife and I have decided to do a last minute trip to Maine, I wish I was taking the bike but it will be a cage ride. Anyway, I was wondering if folks here on the forum would be able to give me some advice as to where to stay (town wise), we want to stay along the ocean and eat a pile of fresh seafood and drive along the coast checking out the vistas. Our thought was somewhere in the middle of the coast and take one day to travel south and the next to travel north using the town as our base. We know nothing about the state so with that limited knowledge it seems to be difficult to pinpoint a starting point. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Will

You will have a great time. I've been to Maine a lot. My brother just got back from a week and a half in Maine. Taking a car is a lot drier than a bike. I once spent three days in a small tent at a wilderness campsite. It rains a lot and once wet you stay wet. My suggestion is don't go any father south than Portland. Bangor is where the commercial center is located. Hotels, movies, Malls and is about 40 miles from the coast. When you are going back home the main highway leaves Bangor, otherwise slow going. From Bangor you can go south and also go north. Bar Harbor is a must see. The same for the town where LL Bean is located. You will have to look that name up, I don't remember. Eat some lobster for me.
David

Boothbay Harbor - excellent b&b coastal community. If you go make sure you hit up the "wharf" it is a fisherman co-op right on the water and some of the best seafood in Maine. Nearby Wiscasset is home to Red's Eats which is a world renown food truck turned fixed asset of the community (family run by the daughters of the founder). In the end you can't really go wrong anywhere in coastal Maine.

Rockland, Camben, Belfast... those areas are nice and close to Mt Desert Island and Arcadia National Park, as well as Bar Harbor. You could also consider Portland. You're close to the Maine Mall, Old Orchard Beach, Aquaboggin, Funtown/Splashtown, and numerous other locales. Also, in Portland is the Old Port, with many clubs and restaurants to choose from. One place I recommend is the Asylum. Outstanding food and drink there. (as well as being an excellent nightclub, last I remember)

Wife and I did a similar trip 2 years ago.

Kennebunkport and Bar Harbor are two good spots.

Kennebunkport has some excellent restaurants and has a great "small New England Town" feel to it.
If you happen to stay there make sure you hit Mabel's Crab Claw restarunt for a lobster roll, and Davids KPT for their Lobster Mac and Cheese and HB Provisions for a breakfast sandwich.
St. Anne's church is a cool old church, just outside of town. The lobster boat tour is a cool touristy thing to do to kill a couple of hours.

Bar Harbor, and specifically Acadia National Park is absolutely beautiful. You can spend multiple days in Acadia without even trying. Make sure to get reservations at Jordan pond and stop by there for lunch.
In Bar Harbor proper, check out the land bridge and maybe go on a whale watching tour. Tons of little shops and restaurants in Bar Harbor that will suit pretty much any taste and palette.

Latest posts

Back