• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Looking For....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pighuntingpuppy

Reaction score
Not quite sure where this type of post belongs so I tagged it here for the time being. I am looking for a 1978 Honda Hawk CB400 frame with clean title. Just the frame. Unless the rest of the bike is going extremely dirt cheap, I need just the frame. All the frames I keep seeing are just the automatic frames. There was one Euro frame but I would have to grey market that frame and wouldnt be worth it for just a frame. If anyone knows someone, knows where one might be, shoot me a message. Thanks.

Not mine, no one I know.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/d/dania-1978-honda-cb400t/7355830274.html
I think this one exhausts precious gems or something, out the pipes.

Beautiful Honda CB400T Hawk for sale
Cafe Racer
Excellent documentation
Lithium ion battery
Helmet, rain cover, battery charger (never needed to use it) all included

If he's entered a contest for the crappiest picture of a grossly-overpriced motorcycle ($5,500), he wins!

CB400 Honda Hawk.jpg
[end]
Here's another one, you just may want to scoop this one up, look at the miles (2,800!) and the condition.

https://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/d/palm-coast-1978-honda-hawk/7353408360.html
'78 Hawk stock and low miles. I purchased it from the original owner. We put some new tires on it and cleaned the carbs. Also new front brakes, including hydraulics. It has a new battery, throttle cables and air filter. Make offer. call, Brad three eight six three one six one one one seven

Unlike the previous knucklehead, this seller has included some good pics and multiples of 'em, to document the shape the bike is in.

CB400 1978.jpg

CB400 1978.jpg

Looks like it was stored in a garage away from sunlight, maybe owned by a vampire?

Last edited:
The first one, agree...ugly. And I am not a fan of spoked rims. The second one, nicer. Those are the rims on my Hawk now.

However, I am not looking for complete running bikes. Back in 2003, the Hawk I have was given to me by my uncle who took the bike in on a barter for a job he did. He spent all this money getting the bike running but never got a title with it. So one day, it was in my drive way with 2 new throttle cables saying this was all it needed to be 100%. Now normally, I dont accept anything without titles. However, at this point in my life, my friends and I regularly bought, fixed, kept or sold motorcycles all up and down the eastern seaboard. Over the years, we amassed quite a title collection from our parts bikes that we bought.

So...I rummaged through the titles and found a similar title from NYS and went and registered the bike that way. Now, that I moved to New Mexico, first thing they do for out of state vehicles is a VIN inspection. Since the title and the VIN dont match, I cant register it.

The reason I dont just ditch this bike is cause its got low miles. I think its still under 10K. It ended up breaking a timing chain guide and the chain walked into the cylinder jugs wearing a hole through the aluminum. So I ended up building a 450cc 6 speed out of the engine. That engine is completely fresh with maybe 4 or 5 miles on it when I found out that the jets were too lean in it.

The engine has been out of it for years and I could put it back together with all the correct jets.....but it would have to come back apart when I finally do find a frame. At this point, its better to find a trashed bike or just a frame. I dont want to take a runner and butcher it.

Search online for the Vermont way to register a motorcycle, bikes of a certain age are no-longer given titles, but assuming it's not on any insurance or police hot sheet, you can get it registered, and then use that (motorcycle registration) to be titled in your state, assuming they use titles for older bikes.

Based on what I was reading, the displacement needs to be 300cc or less. And I would need to go to Vermont for their VIN inspection. To verify that the bike isnt stolen. The Hawk is 400cc and now its a 450(but wouldnt matter cause of what it originally was). Something to keep in mind if I find smaller displacement bikes and happen to be in Vermont, LOL.

Back