Looking to buy first VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tad Stolar

Reaction score
Just joined the forum. I've wanted a VMax since they first came out. At 52 years old and ending a 30 year military career, it might just be time to treat myself. A 2014 just came up for sale down the road from me. 3000 miles, mint, $11k. First, is that a good value. Second, if any one would be so generous as to share their opinion of the pros and cons of a VMax in general, and specifically the 2014, it would be much appreciated. I don't have a specific question because I don't know what to ask. All I've every heard about was "the death wobble." I'm hoping that by now that issue has been worked out. Any and all info that would help me make this decision is much appreciated.

You can find them a bit cheaper. Got my 2012 for 9000 w 1200 miles so clean it looked like it never hit the road but was dropped. Lol light scratches. Owned 95 and 01 before. The guy i bought it from ‘thought’ it would be a great first bike but was too much. Too heavy, too fast, too quick but not sure what your riding ability is. The gen2 doesnt have the death wobble as a added bonus like the 1st gens did. Lol. Its beast stock but dumb asfk with a few mods. If you dont plan on leaving tire marks but ride casual not sure if id spend the money but it is definitely a unique bike. Im about to take out my401k for some home improvements and torn between indian scout, super duke and the rocket 3r as a second..

Money usually talks, I don't think even at $11K it's a bad-deal. 3K miles, that's probably break-in miles. In this economy, I think there may be room to negotiate. Don't be surprised if someone buys it out from under-you though. Go to your friendly Yamaha dealer and get their 'out-the-door' price, and you'll probably run-back to that seller.

The second gen max is "bullet proof" (09-20) the early 09s had some recalls. Only difference between them all is the color, so any info about one year faster than the other is totally bogus info. It weighs 680 pounds, and guzzles gas. So if you don't like the heavy front end, or 60-100 mile gas stops it's not for you. Take the pros and cons with a grain of salt because 9 of 10 people are gonna compare it to their sport bike, or Harley and it's apples to oranges. Few mods and upgrades and you can easily smoke the tire in 3rd gear, or take leisurely Sunday ride. It's heavy, but very nimble. I have no problems dragging foot pegs, or in my case I've been dragging the rear brake lever.... Folding the pegs in corners. It's fast, but not top speed fast. Out of the hole there isn't much that will touch it.... Top end speed is where the super bikes will take it (zx14r, busa) unless they are stretched and modded then you'll have your hands full. I schooled my buddy on his FZ09.... He was in shock, and amazed.... And currently looking for a Vmax lol. It's front end heavy, and not setup like a touring, it typical v twin cruiser, so they're is allot weight on the front tire, so it is "heavy" feeling when stopped, or moving very slow. But the weight is low so it's very well balanced. It's designed for straight line speed. 4 gallon fuel tank, last gallon low fuel light is on. Like I said about every 100 miles you'll be stopping for gas, so if your after fuel economy is not for you. I've used a tank up in as little as 68 miles, and I've gotten to exactly 100 miles and the low fuel light come on. I've gotten 6,800 miles on my 18, 3rd rear tire, original front.... It does ride better now than when it was new, now that everything is settled in. Fully adjustable suspension front and rear except for spring load on the front. Yamaha did their homework when they built the second gen. ABS, front and rear. They are not linked so if anybody says otherwise they are full of s$@t. Shaft drive, no chain or belt to worry about. Brakes are adequate, no problem getting the abs to activate on the rear, plenty of brake power on the front. Besides the range on a tank of gas there isn't really any other complaints lol, about it. But it wasn't built for gas mileage in mind. Ride modes are what your wrist decide. No traction control, no rain mode. It's a raw bike with some shared R1 tech, not for beginners, or the faint of heart.... After the Nash flash, and exhaust I'm gonna say because it's night and day performance wise.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have to consider the fact that it's not the type of bike (for me) to flick around or run to the store. Also, you mentioned experience. While I've been riding for 30 years, I'm not sure how "experienced" I am, and on my test drive it was tough.

The second gen max is "bullet proof" (09-20) the early 09s had some recalls. Only difference between them all is the color, so any info about one year faster than the other is totally bogus info. It weighs 680 pounds, and guzzles gas. So if you don't like the heavy front end, or 60-100 mile gas stops it's not for you. Take the pros and cons with a grain of salt because 9 of 10 people are gonna compare it to their sport bike, or Harley and it's apples to oranges. Few mods and upgrades and you can easily smoke the tire in 3rd gear, or take leisurely Sunday ride. It's heavy, but very nimble. I have no problems dragging foot pegs, or in my case I've been dragging the rear brake lever.... Folding the pegs in corners. It's fast, but not top speed fast. Out of the hole there isn't much that will touch it.... Top end speed is where the super bikes will take it (zx14r, busa) unless they are stretched and modded then you'll have your hands full. I schooled my buddy on his FZ09.... He was in shock, and amazed.... And currently looking for a Vmax lol. It's front end heavy, and not setup like a touring, it typical v twin cruiser, so they're is allot weight on the front tire, so it is "heavy" feeling when stopped, or moving very slow. But the weight is low so it's very well balanced. It's designed for straight line speed. 4 gallon fuel tank, last gallon low fuel light is on. Like I said about every 100 miles you'll be stopping for gas, so if your after fuel economy is not for you. I've used a tank up in as little as 68 miles, and I've gotten to exactly 100 miles and the low fuel light come on. I've gotten 6,800 miles on my 18, 3rd rear tire, original front.... It does ride better now than when it was new, now that everything is settled in. Fully adjustable suspension front and rear except for spring load on the front. Yamaha did their homework when they built the second gen. ABS, front and rear. They are not linked so if anybody says otherwise they are full of s$@t. Shaft drive, no chain or belt to worry about. Brakes are adequate, no problem getting the abs to activate on the rear, plenty of brake power on the front. Besides the range on a tank of gas there isn't really any other complaints lol, about it. But it wasn't built for gas mileage in mind. Ride modes are what your wrist decide. No traction control, no rain mode. It's a raw bike with some shared R1 tech, not for beginners, or the faint of heart.... After the Nash flash, and exhaust I'm gonna say because it's night and day performance wise.

Rebeltaz, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm going to keep my Triumph Scrambler to flick around, so I'm not concerned out the gas mileage, but thanks for mentioning it. If I didn't know and had a different expectation I'd be bummed.

I have a question: you mention the heavy front end. I test drove the bike. I never experienced anything like that. I couldn't take a slow turn without going into the oncoming traffic lane (luckily nobody was coming). Not a slow turn on a windy road. I mean I was on a main road pulling onto a side road. A heavy front end is one thing. I felt immobile, like I couldn't control it. Is there something that needs to be adjusted? I don't know if this makes a difference, but the guy that owned it was 300+lbs. I'm 220...ish. If the front shocks are adjusted to his weight, would that make a different?

Thanks again. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

As compared to your Triumph the VMax will steer and feel very different.

The VMax is much longer, so it would be like stretching the Scrambler 8" or so.
The rake and trail are also quit different so all of those combined will take some getting used to. The Max also weighs 200 lbs. more so I guess stretching the Scrambler then putting a 200 lb. passenger ( God forbid) :) on the back might even them up. Good thing Is depending on which model Scrambler you have the V-Max has two to three times the horsepower!

Where the VMax shines is at higher speeds where the stiffness in the frame and front end really make the bike feel planted in turns, and high speed straightaways. For a bike it's size and weight nothing else that I've ridden even comes close......and I've given plenty of sportbikes owners fits through some twisty roads.

I think you'll get used to it after a while, but switching between those 2 quite different bikes will always feel "different" I suspect for the first several miles.

Last edited:
Back