Loose front end?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtoruin

Reaction score
I've noticed recently that my front end feels a lot looser than it used to. Going slow speeds and hitting bumps in the road it just feels like it wobbles around way too much. Anyone experience this? known cause/fix?

Thanks

I've noticed recently that my front end feels a lot looser than it used to. Going slow speeds and hitting bumps in the road it just feels like it wobbles around way too much. Anyone experience this? known cause/fix?

Thanks

Good chance your steering head bearings are getting worn. Try the 'bounce test' and snug them up a little if needed....see what that does.

Ok thanks, i'll look into that. Is it a big job to replace steering head bearings if needed?

I used a dremel tool, ground out a recess above the bottom race, whacked it with a punch and out it came. Did the same thing with the top race also.

Next time I do the head bearings it'll be a quick job.

where did you grind out the recess, in the bead there?

That's a great idea Dan-o, much better than cutting the race. Didn't think you needed to do that for the top race tho, I managed to whack mine out as it was?

On the back side where the race shoulders into the steering neck.
i must need another coffee this morning dan, cant picture this yet. guess i'll have to get into the bearings to see what you mean. :ummm:

a pic would be key for sure. as i'm sure i'll have to do these sooner or later.

cant remember now garrett, did i get wheel bearings from you of steering ones???? having a blond moment again

That's a great idea Dan-o, much better than cutting the race. Didn't think you needed to do that for the top race tho, I managed to whack mine out as it was?

Agree G, but it was going so well....and I still hadn't broken the cut-off wheel that I just kept on going!! :rofl_200:

i must need another coffee this morning dan, cant picture this yet. guess i'll have to get into the bearings to see what you mean. :ummm:

Yeah, you'll see it when you're in there, Ro!

a pic would be key for sure. as i'm sure i'll have to do these sooner or later.

Garrett, you don't want me to take that all back apart just to get a poor quality grainey pic do you?

cant remember now garrett, did i get wheel bearings from you of steering ones???? having a blond moment again

steering ones from me Ro.

Garrett, you don't want me to take that all back apart just to get a poor quality grainey pic do you?

haha of course not! hopefully someone who has it apart can.

Agree G, but it was going so well....and I still hadn't broken the cut-off wheel that I just kept on going!! :rofl_200:

Yeah, you'll see it when you're in there, Ro!

but isnt it time to chg the oil, or adjust the seat dan:ummm: thought you'd be in there anyways with those task to take a pic for us:rofl_200:

I better watch it might not get any brownies next month ey:bang head:

Somebody already did, but I can't remember who....nice clear pics that showed it very well.

You mean these?

(Those were completely fucked races btw, just in case anyone wondered. 125mph death wobble guaranteed!!!)

Attachments

• P1030509.jpg
    P1030509.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030508.jpg
    P1030508.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030502.jpg
    P1030502.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 15
You mean these?

(Those were completely fucked races btw, just in case anyone wondered. 125mph death wobble guaranteed!!!)

Not the ones I was thinking of G but they will work just as well. Just dremel out a recess where the race shoulders into the neck so a punch can catch it from above.

I used a cut-off tool positioned horizontally and ground a half moon shaped groove above the race.

Def looks like a hi-speed wobble there G!! :punk:

so like right here?

Attachments

• steeringhead.JPG
    steeringhead.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 16
Dan guess your just making a small enough grind to fit a punch it to hit it right, not taking too much material away. long punch and hit from underside or neck or just on a angle?

Back