Loose parts from the factory

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
I BOUGHT MY 2006 V-MAX , LEFTOVER NEW IN 3/2007 , I THOUGHT A HAD GONE OVER EVERYTHING , ALL I FOUND LOOSE WAS THE CLAMP ON MY EXHAUST CROSS OVER PIPE . I JUST DID MY OIL PUMP "O" RING FIX & HAD TO TAKE THE MUFFLER & THE 2 FRONT PIPES OFF . AFTER DOING IT & PUTTING THE 2 FRONT PIPES & MUFFLER BACK ON , I DECIDED TO CHECK THE REAR EXHAUST , ON THE RIGHT REAR CYLINDER WHERE THERE IS A DONUT , NOT WHERE THE EXTENSION PIPE MEETS THE HEAD , BUT WHERE THE REAR PIPES HAVE A DONUT & MEET THE EXTENSION PIPES WITH A FUNKY WRAP AROUND CLAMP WITH A LONG , SMALL HEADED , ALLEN BOLT IN IT . THE RIGHT ONE WAS JUST FLOPPING AROUND ! IT WOULD HAVE FALLING OFF ON THE GROUND IF IT COULD HAVE ! I GOT AT LEAST 12 FULL TURNS ON IT & TORQUED IT TO 60 INCH POUNDS . THE LEFT ONE WAS FINE ! HAS ANYONE ELSE FOUND SHIT LOOSE ON THERE NEW MAX'S ?...:confused2:

Seriously, loose from the factory? Probably not.

Your bike is a few years old and you do wring it out pretty regular.

You need to look over the entire bike once in a while to catch stuff like that. It does happen. Hopefully more important items are well loctited and torqued to spec.

I think most fittings can eventually work themselves loose from vibration on any vehicle, especially motorbikes.
The whole idea of regular servicing, IMHO, is not only to keep all components within spec but also to make sure that everything is in place and as it should be.

seriously, loose from the factory? Probably not.

Your bike is a few years old and you do wring it out pretty regular.

You need to look over the entire bike once in a while to catch stuff like that. It does happen. Hopefully more important items are well loctited and torqued to spec.
JUST TO CLARIFY , MY MAX DIDN'T HAVE 30 MILES ON IT WHEN I SAW THE CROSS OVER PIPE CLAMP FALLING OFF ! SO IF STUFF COMES LOOSE THAT QUICK I NEED A SUPPORT TRUCK TO FOLLOW ME AROUND ! ANY VOLUNTEERS ?...:rofl_200:

LOL that sounds a lot more like human error at assembly time at the stealers then!
I'M NOT DOUBTING THAT EITHER , WHEN I PULLED AWAY FROM THE STEALER , THERES A STOP SIGN AT THE CORNER OF THE BUILDING , THERE ALL WATCHING ME PULL AWAY , I STOP & GO TO ADJUST MY MIRRORS & BOTH JUST SPIN AROUND ! SO I TURN AROUND & PULL UP TO THE OWNER , HE SAYS " WHATS WRONG " SO I SMACK EACH MIRROR & IT JUST SPINS , HE WIG'S OUT , WHO PREPPED THIS BIKE , EVEN THE TURN SIGNALS WERE LOOSE ! BUT THE EXHAUST IS INSTALLED ON THESE IN JAPAN , I DON'T BELIEVE THE STEALER'S HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE TO FIGURE OUT THE V-MAX EXHAUST !...:rofl_200:

Last edited:
BUT THE EXHAUST IS INSTALLED ON THESE IN JAPAN , I DON'T BELIEVE THE STEALER'S HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE TO FIGURE OUT THE V-MAX EXHAUST !...:rofl_200:

NEVER trust your Stealer. We all know that, they taught us well, deal by deal.. :biglaugh::bang head::biglaugh:

holy F man, well doesnt matter where the bike is assembled the PDI that you pay for at the stealership is exactly that, PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION they are suppose to go thru everything incase something was left loose or assembled wrong. even when they take it out of the crate and put on the things like mirrors. usually they got young kids starting out doing the PDI's so no wonder things get missed, they just mess around and dont look at things properly, then tell everyone they set up bikes at the local bike shop. Oh ya i build those things and know how they go together.. sorry kid adding gas and hooking up the batt is not the same thing!!!!!! moron..... hahahha glad you found the problem, once in a blue moon i guess we should all look around the bike for loose stuff besides whats in our heads :rofl_200:

My SV can rattle just about any bolt off of it and it's smooth for a twin. I use blue locktite a lot on both bikes.

I take things off so dang much that I've only had one stock bolt loosen on the max.

The left rear shock mount cap bolt came loose. They've since been replaced with COO units and I've NEVER had an issue since and I've had them off several times.

Chris

ya for sure a walk around is in order same with the car, i bet noone does that these days

Just found that my stator cover bolts had all worked loose and I was leaking a little oil. None in the garage though, only when the engine was hot, and not enough to actually drip, just enough to put a slight haze of oil on the engine. Seems to be related to the recent installation of solid motor mounts. Checked the middle gear, clutch, and water pump while I was at it.

I haven't had many issues with loose bolts since I installed Jedi's SMM this spring, but I used a truck load of blue locktite while reinstalling the engine.
I'm going to be replacing about 20-25 engine bolts and a dozen or so in other places with SS bolts/washers/nuts over the winter so you may to want invest in stainless steel futures and blue loctite stock.

I haven't had many issues with loose bolts since I installed Jedi's SMM this spring, but I used a truck load of blue locktite while reinstalling the engine.
I'm going to be replacing about 20-25 engine bolts and a dozen or so in other places with SS bolts/washers/nuts over the winter so you may want invest in stainless steel futures and blue loctite stock.

pics please of the mod when done will be appreciated :punk:

The left rear shock mount cap bolt came loose. They've since been replaced with COO units and I've NEVER had an issue since and I've had them off several times.

Chris

Mine did this also, except I lost it somewhere on the road. Stopped for gas and I noticed the shock eye had almost slid off the frame nub! Stuffed it back on, and found a hardware store nearby. Found a metric thread bolt that fit and a decent size washer and put it back together. It doesn't look as classy on inspection, but I've kept a generic hex head bolt and washer there all summer....never saw a need to go buy a bolt and flared washer/spacer thing from Yamaha. I added a bit of loctite when I put it back on, never bothered me again.

Every reputable dealer does a PDI. One of our techs goes over every single boat we get, straight from the factory. Amazing how much stuff is found. Screws loose, fasteners missing, wires not hooked up, we got one once that was missing the ground battery cable. It's pretty par for the course, and definitely moreso on the "economy", low price point brands we sell. More expensive boats tend to have fewer issues, but we have yet to receive a "perfect" boat, from any brand.

Only thing I ever had come loose was the oil fill plug while riding and it coated my ankle with oil. Surely that was my fault. Cap was right there when I pulled over. No problems since 86! Probably jinxed myself now!

Rawarrior today i noticed my cap and bolt missing from my left shock as well. For about a week I have been feeling a wobble and like the bike was twisting. I was looking into buying a frame brace and a steering dampner. Come to find out it was the missing cap and bolt. I found a stock set on ebay for 9 dollars. On the left side I didn't notice cause when it is on kickstand it is a lot lower. I think everyone should check there shocks. i am definately using locktite this time.....

Latest posts

Back