Losing voltage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
Since I was having charging issues I replaced my R/R with a newer version from Sean and everything looks much better (14 volt across terminals @ 2K rpm). I wanted to add a voltage meter to be able to better keep an eye on everything and started looking for a wire to tap into. I purchase one of the fuse plugs that allow you to tap into the circuit an measure the voltage for the indicators and it only showed 11.8 volts. I also checked at the fan temp sensor and also got 11.8 volts (both reading with the motor not running). I must have some resistance somewhere but not sure where to start looking. I'm thinking about replacing the main fuse since it shows some wear. Any other ideas where I should check ?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Since I was having charging issues I replaced my R/R with a newer version from Sean and everything looks much better (14 volt across terminals @ 2K rpm). I wanted to add a voltage meter to be able to better keep an eye on everything and started looking for a wire to tap into. I purchase one of the fuse plugs that allow you to tap into the circuit an measure the voltage for the indicators and it only showed 11.8 volts. I also checked at the fan temp sensor and also got 11.8 volts (both reading with the motor not running). I must have some resistance somewhere but not sure where to start looking. I'm thinking about replacing the main fuse since it shows some wear. Any other ideas where I should check ?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

The fuse won't induce a voltage drop like that, but can change it if you want. I would think the issue is the means that it taps into a circuit. If it is the style that you squeeze onto a wire and it pierces the insulation of the wire, I would start there looking for the voltage drop. You would be better off doing a direct connection to the battery for a more accurate reading.

The connector I was using plugs directly into one of the fuse sockets. It holds a fuse but also gives you a pigtail and 2 female connectors to tap into the positive power. I expected it to read close to the voltage at the terminals.

The best place to tap into for positive for to the voltage meter is the brown wire, downstream of the ignition switch connector( located under the headstock framework, right hand side.)
You don't want the voltage meter operative when the ignition is off. This would be a drain on the electrical system. The brown wire, which feeds the fuse box, is only energized when the ignition switch is in the "on" postition. The only resistance between this brown wire and the battery is the ignition switch itself - therefore you will be seeing the truest indication of battery voltage on the meter.
I have a analog meter hooked up to the brown wire. It is adjustable for voltage loss, due to resistance.. Consequently, I can dial it in, so that it reads true battery voltage. Hooked up to the brown wire, it required very little adjustment, to show actual battery vol;tage.
Cheers!

What is the best way to access this wire and to tap into it ?

Remove the faux tank, and locate the above connector. It will be white, with three wires - red (direct from main fuse/battery), brown (from ignition switch, going to fuse box), and blue(from ignition switch, going to Park lights).
This connector is also prone to failure. Good time to disconnect and clean it up, or like many have done, eliminate it completely.
Regardless, just bare a bit of the brown wire, on either side of the connector, by removing the insulation, then wrap and solder a wire of the same gauge to it. Insulate the connection well, with electrical tape. This will be the + for the voltage meter. The - wire can be attached to any convenient frame grounding location.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back