Lost all electrical power on my 06

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positracker

Reaction score
New member here sorry that my first post is about a dead Max.

Took a 10 min drive today the bike was running great.
Stopped in a parking lot to make a call dropped the bike in neutral about 10 seconds later it just turned off like the key had been switched off.

I had it towed home $107! ARRRRRRRRG

The battery is good 12.5 volts and you can weld with it.
The grounds have all been tested contacts cleaned.
The master/Main 30 amp fuses have been checked and they are fine.

I get no clicks nothing no dash indicator lights she is totally dark.
I just purchased this bike and have put a total of 30 miles on it then this happens.
Heart Broken and need a little advice.

Thanks in advance

When you say master fuses, do you mean the one that's not in the fuse block? I had a fuel pump that was shorting and frying that main fuse (it's in a little square thingy sitting on top of the battery).

When you say master fuses, do you mean the one that's not in the fuse block? I had a fuel pump that was shorting and frying that main fuse (it's in a little square thingy sitting on top of the battery).

Yep the ones on top of the battery they say master on them both are good.
Verified with my ohm meter and checked voltage output from fuses.

Nothing Zero power it almost looks like the ignition switch has a bad connection.

The three-wire ignition switch connector (under the steering neck) has a known history of failure.
The red wire is direct from the battery - always live.
The brown goes back to the fuse box - should show battery voltage with ignition switch "on"
The blue wire is only live in the "park" position - key can be removed tailight and front running lights only are powered up.
Could be this connector, or the ignition switch itself, IF you have a properly charged and grounded battery.
Cheers, and welcome to the forum!:punk:

The three-wire ignition switch connector (under the steering neck) has a known history of failure.
The red wire is direct from the battery - always live.
The brown goes back to the fuse box - should show battery voltage with ignition switch "on"
The blue wire is only live in the "park" position - key can be removed tailight and front running lights only are powered up.
Could be this connector, or the ignition switch itself, IF you have a properly charged and grounded battery.
Cheers, and welcome to the forum!:punk:

Thanks for the written schematic Miles, I am ripping into it right now :)

I was gonna suggest to check ground but Miles beat me to it. ANY and all electrical problems i aleays check ground wires first. Lots of vehicle (not motorcycle) wiring over the years proved to me that 99% of the time its a ground. Welcome aboard, good luck, keep us posted.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Lots of wiring info available on this site, but the quickest to access is on the Morley's Muscle banner site - go to "how to" then "wiring diagrams"
Good luck!

FYI, blue wire is live in on position as well. If running lights aren't on then fault lies prior to key switch.

Lots of wiring info available on this site, but the quickest to access is on the Morley's Muscle banner site - go to "how to" then "wiring diagrams"
Good luck!

She is running again!!!!

Thank you Miles for the excellent ignition switch info.

I had hot on the red but nothing on the brown with the switch on.
Opened up the switch and sure enough the red lead was cold soldered and disconnected from its terminal on the switch. A little bit of solder a burnt finger and a small amount of chanting and my baby came back to life!

Miles you are the Man I cant thank you enough!
Peace

All hail the mighty Miles, you mean.

Welcome to the forum Positracker.

Welcome to the forum....there are a LOT of great people here with LOTS of knowledge.

Welcome and I'm glad to see that Miles was able to help you get it figured out !!

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome and great advice.
Now I have to put the damn thing back together again. :)

Peace!

Latest posts

Back