Lost front braking on my Gen1. Few drops bleed to get air bubble out of system after that its lost complete braking. Earlier it was too sponge braking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abdul Majid

Reaction score
Lost front braking on my Gen1. Few drops bleed to get air bubble out of system after that its lost complete braking. Earlier it was too sponge braking and lever touching grips. Any ideas what went wrong after spilling out little brake oil.

Air in the lines. You'll need to vacuum bleed or reverse bleed to purge it.

Lots of folks (myself included) have had good luck tying the brake lever to the grip (full on position) overnight. Air tends to make the vertical travel and will be able to escape if the cylinder is open to atmosphere.

Air in the lines. You'll need to vacuum bleed or reverse bleed to purge it.

Lots of folks (myself included) have had good luck tying the brake lever to the grip (full on position) overnight. Air tends to make the vertical travel and will be able to escape if the cylinder is open to atmosphere.
I know that people swear this is the bee's knees but you can do the same thing, purge the air out of the lines by the simple expedient of the reverse-bleed. No-need to wait for the Sugarplum Fairy to give your brakes a firm lever, overnight. Perform a reverse-bleed, feel the minimal lever travel to achieve a firm lever for your front brakes (or a firm lever for the clutch release) and go riding.

This link will explain the procedure and how you can make a tool to do it. Clutch or brake, pretty-much the same.

(1) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Just make sure you remove the fluid from the master cylinder as the reverse-flush fills-it. When you see the cascade of fluid make a solid column from the hole in the bottom of the master cylinder as you push the syringe at the caliper bleeder and there are no-more 'tiny little bubbles' (thank-you Don Ho) from that hole, you're ready to shut the caliper bleeder, and move to the other caliper, the one closer-to the brake master cylinder.

If your smaller master cylinder hole (the one closest-to the banjo bolt for the brake hose) is plugged, neither function will operate properly: front brake, nor the clutch, depending on which master cylinder is plugged-up.

To make bubbles rise overnight by tying-back the lever to the handlebar, try that, too, and see if you notice a difference.

VMax clutch bleed.02 - Copy.jpgVMax clutch bleed.03.jpg

Agree with Mr Medic regarding reverse bleeding but have found that the tying back of the lever does give that little bit extra firmness.

As The Rolling Stones said, "tie you up."

You're deaf to it, blind to it
It's like a thunderclap
Feel the prickles running
Up and down your back
Why so divine, the pain of love
You have to work at it, stay with it
Pay for it, bust your ass
Lie about it, cheat for it
Forget about your past

I’m with desert max. Mr. Midnight I generally look forward to your advice but I have to disagree with your opinion of tying the lever back. I’ve done it to great effect a couple of times and both were spongy to the grip front brake levers and both times when I returned the next day I had good firm brakes again so the method works better than just a little better.

I’m with desert max. Mr. Midnight I generally look forward to your advice but I have to disagree with your opinion of tying the lever back. I’ve done it to great effect a couple of times and both were spongy to the grip front brake levers and both times when I returned the next day I had good firm brakes again so the method works better than just a little better.

That's fine, I'm only saying what has worked for me and just because you didn't get a result that does not mean it isn't worth a shot.
Apart from some time it doesn'r cost and it may help.

I think you have possibly misunderstood me. I did get a result actually a very good one. My front brake lever was very spongy and tying it back overnight corrected the problem and restored correct brake function.

I think you have possibly misunderstood me. I did get a result actually a very good one. My front brake lever was very spongy and tying it back overnight corrected the problem and restored correct brake function.
Not sure who is misunderstanding who, I wrote
Agree with Mr Medic regarding reverse bleeding but have found that the tying back of the lever does give that little bit extra firmness.

As The Rolling Stones said, "tie you up."

You're deaf to it, blind to it
It's like a thunderclap
Feel the prickles running
Up and down your back
Why so divine, the pain of love
You have to work at it, stay with it
Pay for it, bust your ass
Lie about it, cheat for it
Forget about your past
Erm; you are missing the best parts of this song! Sacrilage mate 😜

On my 2005 Triumph Speed Triple, a bike notorious for its spongy brake feel, I pump the brakes a few times before going on a ride to get just a bit of firmness to the brakes. The brakes do their job, but they are always spongy feeling.

On my 2005 Triumph Speed Triple, a bike notorious for its spongy brake feel, I pump the brakes a few times before going on a ride to get just a bit of firmness to the brakes. The brakes do their job, but they are always spongy feeling.

Maybe you need to tie the brake lever to the bar and pray the Sugar Plum fairy pays you a visit.

Erm; you are missing the best parts of this song! Sacrilage mate 😜
Yeah, 'family-friendly' song quote, I stopped before the NSFW part. The part like Led Zeppelin's Lemon Song.

And, just for desert_max:

Sugar Plum Fairies.jpg

Back