lost gears

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattheroach

Reaction score
Help!!!
i was outlast night on my beloved Max and all was running well. I pulled up at a set of lights and popped her into neutral as usual. The lights changed to green so I pullled in the clutch only to find I had no gears, the lever was just moving with no resistance. Eventually she went into first so off I went. I can now only get 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, the lever just moves up when I try 4th and there`s no 5th either. The lever moves smoothly without any resistance at all,as if when in 5th and searching for another gear. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this? I havent been heavy on the gears or clutch. It had an oil change recently but thats it. Thanks in anticipation

think thats what happens when the pins in your shift segment fall out which if im correct, pre 99's are prone too. Give sean a call or msg "one2dmax" he'll have the new style shift segment available for you, easy to do, if its not that he will be able to trouble shoot with you. you can do a search on forum about it and see what im talking about.

Hey Guys, I seem to have lost my 1, 3,4,and 5th gear.

I already replaced the segment about 3 years ago, just removed it and it looks fine. I can figure out what the the problem is?? riding along on the wknd, then all I had was neutral and second gear.

Any suggestions on how I can try to figure out what the issue is, if it is those internal forks is there any way to test to see if they are out of the groove, if thats what happens??

any help would be greatly appreciated

Ron

If the segment is fine and the shifter is moving the linkage far enough then you have some other problems for sure. Are you watching the movement of the linkage when you try and put it into the next gear (while looking at the shift drum)?

This may be stupid but were you just cruising around town when it quit?

You can look into the gear area and see the gear teeth anyway but not sure if you can accurately see the shift fork engagement.

Sean,just crusing around, nothing out of the ordinary, then gears gone??

How can I tell if the linkage is far enough

Like I said Sean any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, living in Africa has its challenges, when it comes to repairing a vmax .

If you want to send any other suggestions, I can be reached at

[email protected]

thanks

Ron

Man, it could be shredded gears but it usually locks up the bike. You can easily see into the trans gears with the basket out and looking into the sight hole (approx 1.5" diam hole). I can't imagine the gears shredding out though with just normal riding. Get me some pics of the shift segment (and the segment removed to see under it). Might have sheared off the small indexing pin that holds the segment in place on the actual drum.

Sean

Ron, that is just fucking strange - usually you just loose 2nd gear, not all gears but 2nd?

Did you drop the oil to see if there is any metal shavings?

If not, I would guess something shift linkage related.

Mike

Ron, that is just fucking strange - usually you just loose 2nd gear, not all gears but 2nd?

Did you drop the oil to see if there is any metal shavings?

If not, I would guess something shift linkage related.

Mike

Hey Mike good to hear from you, how are things, havent heard from you in months, getting ready for the riding season.

4 months and counting, and were heading back, not my first choice of provinces, were going to Saskatchewan, base Dundurn, about 30km south of Saskatoon!!!

Oil is dropped Mike, nothing, I have a magnetic plug and not a thing attached, and I just replaced the oil 2 days before I went for my very short ride, oil was dirty, but no metal .

I was thinking the same about the shift linkage, I will take some pics of the segment, but like I said it looks fine. On the VMOA site someone also mentioned a stretched linkage., not sure how you tell, they told me to remove the linkage and try to spin the segment into gear, if you can get it into all gears by spinning the segment, most probably the linkage.

Took the day off tomorrow, will work on Maxine, got to get her all fixed up, I promised my older son that he can have her when I get back.

Time to look for a new ride.

Drop me a line when you get a chance Mike.

Ron

Man, it could be shredded gears but it usually locks up the bike. You can easily see into the trans gears with the basket out and looking into the sight hole (approx 1.5" diam hole). I can't imagine the gears shredding out though with just normal riding. Get me some pics of the shift segment (and the segment removed to see under it). Might have sheared off the small indexing pin that holds the segment in place on the actual drum.

Sean

Thanks for the help Sean, will take and post the pics tomorrow.

Ron

Hey Mike good to hear from you, how are things, havent heard from you in months, getting ready for the riding season.

4 months and counting, and were heading back, not my first choice of provinces, were going to Saskatchewan, base Dundurn, about 30km south of Saskatoon!!!

Oil is dropped Mike, nothing, I have a magnetic plug and not a thing attached, and I just replaced the oil 2 days before I went for my very short ride, oil was dirty, but no metal .

I was thinking the same about the shift linkage, I will take some pics of the segment, but like I said it looks fine. On the VMOA site someone also mentioned a stretched linkage., not sure how you tell, they told me to remove the linkage and try to spin the segment into gear, if you can get it into all gears by spinning the segment, most probably the linkage.

Took the day off tomorrow, will work on Maxine, got to get her all fixed up, I promised my older son that he can have her when I get back.

Time to look for a new ride.

Drop me a line when you get a chance Mike.

Ron

Hey Ron, Riding season is just around the corner - just need to change the front tire and i'm ready to ride!

Good to hear that you are finally coming back to Canada! You are getting closer to home.

Pictures may help figure out the issue with your bike. Hopefully it's something simple.

A new ride!!! What bike do you have in mind?

Your right, it's been too long since we last talked - been a busy fall/winter between building a garage :eusa_dance: and getting part of the basement ready to build an inlaw suite for my mom.

Let us know how your making out with Maxine.

Mike

Sean

Sean, seems to be an internal thing, shift forks perhaps. I removed the shift rod and tried to put into gear while turning the rear wheel and turning the shift segment, it works sometimes, but mostly not, all the oins are in good shape. I hear what sounds like a metal against metal, tap or clunking when trying to shift, then other times it just spins freels until it catches, sometimes.

ANy other suggestions, or is it time to pack her up until I get back to Canada in July- Aug, I don t have access to any parts if required, and I dont have the knowledge to tear the engine apart.

Thanks for your help

Ron

Hey Ron, Riding season is just around the corner - just need to change the front tire and i'm ready to ride!

Good to hear that you are finally coming back to Canada! You are getting closer to home.

Pictures may help figure out the issue with your bike. Hopefully it's something simple.

A new ride!!! What bike do you have in mind?

Your right, it's been too long since we last talked - been a busy fall/winter between building a garage :eusa_dance: and getting part of the basement ready to build an inlaw suite for my mom.

Let us know how your making out with Maxine.

Mike

Good luck with the outlaw, ahh sorry I mean the inlaw, just kidding Mike.:biglaugh:

Well Mike seems the riding season is over for me, as mentioned to Sean, seems to be internal, perhaps the shift forks, or the drum thingy inside??

Not sure what else I can try.

As describded to Sean, trying to put her into gear only works part of the time, mostly not, and I get free spinning, and that taping / clunking metal against metal when trying to get into gear.

Leaning towards either a BMWK1300S or the K1300R, hope I dont get slammed for that on this site.

I was looking at the new max, but what they are asking and what I can get for much less with bells and whistles(ABS, Traction Control, Shift Asist, etc), I seem to be leaning that way, but who knows perhaps another Max, 2007-2008??

Ron

Might be shift fork, drum or gear contact. We had a segment get loose one time (the bolt through the middle) that made it difficult to shift.

Sean

Might be shift fork, drum or gear contact. We had a segment get loose one time (the bolt through the middle) that made it difficult to shift.

Sean

Well Sean, the gears are back, dont ask me how but they are?? I can shift into all gears, only problem is the back wheel locks up when I shift into gear, it doesnt spin??

Not sure if I put the clutch back incorrectly??

Can you tell me the correct sequence for the plates and disks? i have the Dbl "D" mod as well

Thanks

Ron

Latest posts

Back