Lost key!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeltaz83

Reaction score
Has anyone ever lost the key to their vmax?? i either lost it, or the hughes net guy took it by mistake. i had sitting on my stand next to the couch, and went to reach for it, and bam, it's gone, so sign of it anywheres. i think the hughes net guy might have packed it up with his tools, but i was at work when he was here a week ago, and the wife just has no idea :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head: so, if i order a new key and switch ($145 at bike bandit) how do i go about getting a switch for the faux tank cover, and for the gas cap?? plus how do i go about getting the gas cap off without the key?? i am way beyond pissed at the moment. and how the hell do i get the new key to fit the gas cap, and also the faux tank cover so i don't have to have 3 different effing keys.:damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::real mad::real mad::real mad::real mad::real mad::real mad::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

The key code is on the bottom of the ignition barrel. Or something like that. There's a thread here somewhere about ordering a spare key through the dealer.

i actually took the switch out of the bike and put it back together without it, just in case the hughes net guy might want to try to take the bike, he may not but i'm a little paranoid now........ i also ran a bicycle cable threw the front wheel and around the frame. i looked on the switch but found no numbers at all. i just emailed a dealer to see about a new key, so hopefully i can, i really hate to change all the locks. just really burns my behind, it was sitting right there, no problems. i will also search for that thread, i did a small search for lost key and came back with 0 results, lol. almost makes me sick. grrrrrr

I did the same search....I came up with my info after Make....Spare...Key (although key is too short)

If the label hasn't fell off, the key code is on the metal frame of the ignition switch underside. You have to remove the switch to find it. If you have the service manual, some times the dealer will write the key code on the back of the first page or some where in the manual. Some say if you disassemble the switch, the code is also stamped on the barrel of the cylinder where the key is inserted. I would remove the ignition first and look for the code on the sticker. If you get the code you can take the ignition switch with you along with the code and they can make you a key.

Since I took the switch out of the bike I looked at it the sticker must have fallen off, so I took out 2 screws and dug into it, after the electrical stuff I got down to just the cylinder, 2 screws hold that in, but I found what I think is the key code stamped into the plate that holds the lock cylinder in the mounting tube it has two letters and two numbers stamped into it, I assume that is the key code hopefully, and the dealer can get me a key, and then I will make ten keys so I will have them lol

Pull the steering lock out of the neck, the code will be stamped on that....make sure it matches with the one you got off the ignition switch.

Not positive but most likely the same code will be on the faux cover lock also.

The sticker and number can be very difficult to read or even see (they want it to blend in after all). It's on the base of the cylinder as has been mentioned.

Sean

Just take the ignition switch (now it's out) to a locksmith. They can cut a new key for around $30.00. I have a spare key gorilla taped under my gas filler access seat panel, another in the house, and a third on my car key chain.

Chris.

i did find the sticker or a sticker, it's black blends in with the paint very well, and has very faint numbers and letters punched in it. it might be about 3/16" or an 1/8" wide and about 3/4" long. maybe a 1/2" long its not a very big sticker. but i'm gonna take the switch to a locksmith and have 3 keys made. just wanted to say thanks for all the help, this forum is great!!!!! kinda bummed though just recently moved to south carolina, and the weather has been beautiful for riding, and it's hard to ride a bike with no key........ unless it's down hill, lol.

post a pic of what this sticker looks like,,,,i have a spare key in the headlight bucket and drilled a bigger hole in key loop hole and put it behind top tag bolt...

Get me the key code and I'll send you a new key. I'm a little surprised nobdy mentioned I am a Locksmith. It should be a Letter followed by5 numbers. Let me know. I've done this for a few guys on here. Ed

That's a great offer, thank-you for offering the assistance to our member. :worthy:

Get me the key code and I'll send you a new key. I'm a little surprised nobdy mentioned I am a Locksmith. It should be a Letter followed by5 numbers. Let me know. I've done this for a few guys on here. Ed

Well, I certainly did not know that, You should advertise your services here on the forum. I bet a lot of members would be interested in having an extra key or 2 for their bike. If some one's key code is missing, could you possibly take their faux cover lock, make a key and come up with the actual key code also?

<LI class=profilefield_category>About CustomMax Location Pittsburgh Pa My VMax 92 Occupation Locksmith/Safe Expert Interests Drummer, Karate, Golf <LI class=profilefield_category>Signature Roadside assistance
Tools
Tech support
Ride to Hotel
Info on area
Physical Help if needed
Phone 412-225-2324

The other locks don't have all the tumblers, but if all else fails send me the ignition and I'll make a key that will fit the faux cover and whatever else it should. As long as nobody switched parts from original.

On mine, the black number on the ignition switch was unreadable!
I had to go to the forensic lab to find some numbers with special light and optics but some of them were missing.

No way to make a new key...

It should be a letter followed by 5 numbers. So if you have that much it's enough to make it by code. But if you wanna send it I'll make keys or if you have a local locksmith in Paris they could too. Not sure what they'd charge but if you cover the shipping I'll do it as a favor.

Latest posts

Back