Lost neutral light and tac

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was riding the bike today and noticed 1st that the green neutral light didnt work and then when I was riding the tachometer was not working properly. Anyone have any idea why this might happen? The bike runs fine.

!] Check grounds for those circuits.
2] Check the connections for each of those circuits.
3] Check for continuity of that wire from where it lands at the bulb or instrument, through the harness to where it terminates.
4] Look for pinched wires, grounded wires where they aren't supposed to be (the 'hot' leg of the circuit).

Jeff, sorry I forget, what year is yours? It helps someone to offer advice if you put your bike's year and any special equipment/mods in your signature line (see your screen name, upper-right, click there)

Unlikely to be an earth issue as the neutral light earths through the neutral switch.

On pre '90 bike the brown (+12v) feeds the neutral light, tacho and temperature gauge and also the oil and fuel level warning lights; did these function correctly?
On post 89' bikes the brown (+12v) feeds the neutral, tacho and temperature gauge; did the temp gauge function correctly?

The feed is the only common link so that where I'd start.

If you don't have one a wiring diagram would be helpful as would a multi-meter.

Hello everyone. I was riding the bike today and noticed 1st that the green neutral light didnt work and then when I was riding the tachometer was not working properly. Anyone have any idea why this might happen? The bike runs fine.
Hey I had this problem recently and did a post on here in the how to fix section I think but it was the brown wire in the little console that holds the tacho temp gauge etc I removed the console, it up plugs up near the steering the brown cable was broken in the short wiring loom I had to cut the black loom covering open to reveal the broken wire and soldered a new bit in they are very thin wires.. have a search for how to fix no neutral or tacho I uploaded pictures of the broken wire 👍

My tach quit working but the neutral light works fine. Do you think I have just a tach issue. 1986 model.
The Three brown wires in the short tacho loom all join into one brown wire that had burnt out on mine it could be one of those three have broken , check my post how to fix neutral and tacho post on here

My tach quit working but the neutral light works fine. Do you think I have just a tach issue. 1986 model.
Time to get the multi-meter out.
Do you have power to the tacho (brown wire)? Yes?
Do you have an earth (black wire)? Yes?
Check continuity between tacho and ICU (Grey wire)
If the fuel pump and V Boost work as they should and you suspect a break in the grey wire then you only need to check back to where it splits for those components..
If all that checks OK it is likely an internal fault with the tacho.

Back