Lost second gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry barker

Reaction score
Dang!!! I had over 50,000 miles on my 03, which now has over 60,000 miles still running great. I have about 8000 miles on the Verminator and its skipping in 2nd gear. The 85 engine has about 25,000 miles on it. Looks like I am going to be real good at removing the engine in a Vmax.
I first noticed a skip while shifting in a wheelie for the first time. That's was odd! Then I noticed some skipping while passing a vehicle, thought it was losing traction on the painted stripes. While riding Friday I finally woke up and realized I have a problem with 2nd gear.
Sean is prepping a replacement transmission and has convinced me that I can make the repair. Guess I am going to learn how to swap a Vmax tranny also.
Thankfully the trusty and very comfortable Victory Cross Roads is ready for action. If it only had about 20 more HP!

Dang!!! I had over 50,000 miles on my 03, which now has over 60,000 miles still running great. I have about 8000 miles on the Verminator and its skipping in 2nd gear. The 85 engine has about 25,000 miles on it. Looks like I am going to be real good at removing the engine in a Vmax.
I first noticed a skip while shifting in a wheelie for the first time. That's was odd! Then I noticed some skipping while passing a vehicle, thought it was losing traction on the painted stripes. While riding Friday I finally woke up and realized I have a problem with 2nd gear.
Sean is prepping a replacement transmission and has convinced me that I can make the repair. Guess I am going to learn how to swap a Vmax tranny also.
Thankfully the trusty and very comfortable Victory Cross Roads is ready for action. If it only had about 20 more HP!

Dang it.....hopefully it will be finished for Eureka Springs......But, now is the time to put in a hidden nitrous kit....LOL

You're in good hands. I'm sure it'll turn out great. A 1260 piston kit will give you the 20 hp. Now's a good time, since it's out.

You're in good hands. I'm sure it'll turn out great. A 1260 piston kit will give you the 20 hp. Now's a good time, since it's out.

The Victory needs the extra 20 hp, the Vmax is fast enough for me. I gave the Victory 30 extra HP for $2000.00 back when i first bought it. The next 20 HP cost over $6000.00. I think 104 rear wheel HP with 106 #-ft of torque it has now will just have to do.

Damn, very sorry to hear that. At least you have a backup machine.

An opportunity to toss in an overdrive 5th gear??
I thought about it, but i really don't mind the RPM's. I had a Venture rear end before and went back to stock. Not to mention the OD is another $350-400 dollars. I am good with 5000 RPM at 80 MPH.

Dang it.....hopefully it will be finished for Eureka Springs......But, now is the time to put in a hidden nitrous kit....LOL
I should have it ready for the Hill Country Rally. Still debating that 540 mile Sunday ride home on the Vmax? The Victory is a much better choice for the long haul. Not to mention it slows me down just a little while riding with you maniacs.

Sorry to hear you toasted 2nd gear BUT I'm glad to see you talked to Sean and are going to replace it, I love to see someone fix their Max when possible.
Sean will always steer you right.

Mine was a third gear skip, jump in and get-her done. 73 here today in Denver, guys and girls are riding already. The new set will be here tomorrow from John at PCW.

Attachments

• 20170118_195807.jpg
    20170118_195807.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170118_205642.jpg
    20170118_205642.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20170118_205628.jpg
    20170118_205628.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 46
John uses the same place as I do for the cut work. He usually only has 2nd and 3rd gears done while I have the entire set of gears done.

I've never had a problem with my gearbox. If I ever did, and have to go through all the hassle of taking everything apart to get at it, I certainly wouldn't just get the machining partly done.. I'd want every gear remachined so there would be no chance of anything happening again.. No matter if it did cost more to do them all.

I've never had a problem with my gearbox. If I ever did, and have to go through all the hassle of taking everything apart to get at it, I certainly wouldn't just get the machining partly done.. I'd want every gear remachined so there would be no chance of anything happening again.. No matter if it did cost more to do them all.

I'm with you, why go through all that work and not do a complete job.

Most of the time 2nd and 3rd are the gears that really need the work. About 25% need to have low gear repaired. Usually 1-2 gears need welding up before cutting. I simply charge a flat cost to simplify it for my customers. I make more on some and much less on others. The only surprise I ever give my customers if if there are any broken teeth on the gears (or broken dogs) which we don't bother trying to repair. So, that drives a cost to replace that gear. It's not very common either.

I can say that a couple of years ago I took apart around 30 engines I had around here (actually had a local friend who wanted some extra funds). The engines ranged from known 2nd gear failures to ones that had spun bearings to others that were completely unknown. I think I was able to put together a total of 3 that were good enough that i decided I could use them as is. All of the rest were not good enough in my opinion to be used without doing the undercut work. The job isn't that fun and I don't want to have to do it twice. Nor do my customers.

Oh don't you boyz fret,as you can see there's no half steppin on this machine. :punk:

Attachments

• 20161022_155559.jpg
    20161022_155559.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 28
mine went out years ago. lance helped me take it apart and split the case. in my case it was the shift fork that was bad. we took the whole lower off of Kelly's 92? that he gave me and did a direct lower end swap. I have put maybe 40k miles on that. no issues so far.
maybe a good time to check the oil o-ring etc?
michael

Well It's all fixed, all 5 gears no grinding and no slipping. The key, no oil leaks. Plenty of OH shit moments but all for nothing. This is a lot work!!
So glad Sean was available for parts and some advice. So glad I got the parts from him too, since 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears were bad along with all the shifting forks and the shift drum. The parts shown all have to much wear on them. Pretty hard to see the wear for this man!

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg