lotta mods yield great results

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought & installed a PCW extra plate clutch kit, inc. the heavy-duty diaphragm spring & all friction discs. They use Yamaha friction plates in their kits.

My 1992 bike w/23,000 miles on it, was on its original clutch. It just began slipping recently when I swapped-on a Dynojet Stage 7-kitted carb set. As has been mentioned as a symptom, it began slipping in the upper gears as the clutch was engaged. As soon as I noticed it, I took it easy on the way home, and parked the bike until I could get the new parts.

I called-up Schnectady NY and spoke w/the staff, and chose the above kit. It was $156.10 shipped to FL.

I followed the directions, it took me about two hours from getting-out my tools to putting them away & washing my hands. I made sure to soak the friction discs completely in fresh motor oil, I use Motul. The kit eliminates the slipper feature that the stock last-friction disc in the clutch pack provides, along w/a couple of washers & a retaining spring-steel wire.

Results were immediate for increased dynamic performance from my bike. No slippage, just a really-nice surge as I released the clutch hand lever and got back-into the throttle.

I also took the time to re-jet my DJ Stage-7 carbs at the same time, I am running 160's now, stock exhaust, stock functional VBoost. They had been set-up for an aftermarket exhaust, and were still too-rich after the shop who broke the rack, cleaned and reassembled and synched them went down multiple jet sizes from where they were, an educated guess. The bike was pretty-crisp in throttle-response everywhere, pulled great, except approaching 8000+ rpm, it would break-up/'blubber.' So that's where I put-in the 160's and the first ride after the switch to them, I was really happy w/the results. It pulled to redline w/not a hint of 'blubbering,' and the throttle response from idle to redline is great. I suppose if I wanted to do a plug chop, and study the color, I might be able to fine-tune it, but after having my dyno dilemma (thread), my motto is, "if it ain't broke, dont fix it." It's running fine, and frankly, after recently installing radials, fixing the clutch, and the Stage 7 kitted carbs install and tune, and Prog. Suspension shocks, the sum-total is so-far above any previous results I've had w/the bike, it's hard to believe it's really the same ride. All I can say is, if I run it hard towards/into fourth, it handles so-much better, and runs so-much better than I ever recall as stock, it's a different riding experience, and I'm not wary about the handling/performance it demonstrates w/these mods. I would have been if it was the stock running gear, feeling it 'hunt' as it went down the road at higher speeds. And I haven't yet installed my Race Tech springs and RICOR Intiminator revalving set. :punk:I did swap-on a 1993+ front end, too, w/fresh 'All-Balls' steering headset bearings. For a breaking improvement, I went w/FZR1000 4-pots & HH pads, along w/298 mm rotors, but I have some FZR 6-pots waiting, too.

Pretty-soon I will be ready to pull it apart for cosmetics, and once it goes back together, I think I will be happy for a long time to come.

You can mod your order to include them if you want. Stock, no, not for that price, you usually don't have to replace them unless they are warped, blued, or worn excessively. I used my favorite tool a Dremel Moto Tool to roughen the steelies, using a flap wheel. The kit comes w/I think it's 8 friction discs & the heavy duty diaphragm spring, & a new case cover gasket; I can't really tell a stronger pull is required, not enough of a difference for me to notice until you notice the clutch biting much better upon release!:biglaugh:

I have a Kerker 4/1 but am not willing to remove my centerstand mount for it. I also have a UFO 4/1, which I think does not require removal of the centerstand tang, but removal of the centerstand itself. I think you can jack-up the bike & throw the centerstand in-place for maintenance, but then you have to remove it, any confirmation among UFO 4/1 owners?

Lemme tell you, the bike is so-much different, especially from the radials, that I don't expect to sell this bike, ever. Next spring will be 20 years of ownership, and I think she's gonna get some use now. I still have a lot of stuff to install, and it's gonna take awhile, but I am in no-hurry! From F & R lighting, to instruments, to front suspension, to an air horn, to, ignition mods, to body parts, to repainting the entire bike, plenty of stuff to do!

My preference is a stock-appearing bike, so people are unhappy when they realize the reality of what just happened to them. Not the fastest, or quickest, but reliable, safe, better-handling, and fun. See my signature line, below.
:punk:

I would sell both exhaust you have n go w a marks they sound great n you don't need to remove the center stand. JMO Also he has a crazy Xmas sale on his systems now .

Hi Greg, good to hear from you!

Powdercoated frame, same for stock painted brackets, new stock paint for 1 set of tins, something else for another set I have, not sure yet just what. Finish installing much of what I listed. Plus, I have another to do, stock w12K miles showing, waiting on carbs to be done for seeing how it will run, got it non-running, cheap. Turns over, compression, spark, bad carbs, all diaphragms torn & carbs are filthy. Last licensed 6 yrs. prior. FL bike.

Knowing what a difference radials make, I wouldn't ride w/o them unless I was gonna sell the bike.

Something that is hard to explain to people. Though the radials (like the Carrozzerias we sell) aren't cheap, they do make it like you have bought a completely new bike. So, really - you get to keep your current bike and make an investment that you will really love.

Fire-Medic if you have an automotive brake spring install tool taking the centerstand off and on is easy. damon runs four into one UFO on his 1985 so whats that tell you. I run 4 into 2 UFO.

Something that is hard to explain to people. Though the radials (like the Carrozzerias we sell) aren't cheap, they do make it like you have bought a completely new bike. So, really - you get to keep your current bike and make an investment that you will really love.

Sean I can't wait for my carrezzera rims to come in. I've been waiting for radials for a while now and I'm glad I did wait so I could get the ones I really wanted. I just have to figure out how to ride my bike in the snow or find an indoor track I can use all winter :rofl_200:

Fire medic
I love the marks exhaust also. I had him black jet coat the headers but if could do it over I would jet coat the whole thing except the cans. Also do the end turn down caps. I have my center stand and use it all the time.

Thanks for the feedback. I may install my UFO just to try it out but I hear they are loud. Maybe I can get a custom mid pipe for the Kerker to avoid cutting the right centerstand mount & bending the left.

I have a spring tool for drum brakes. I dunno if it was on here, someone suggested using slugs in between the spring coils to stretch it out & then attaching it. Then remove the slugs, if you didn't have the tool.

Thanks for the feedback. I may install my UFO just to try it out but I hear they are loud. Maybe I can get a custom mid pipe for the Kerker to avoid cutting the right centerstand mount & bending the left.

I have a spring tool for drum brakes. I dunno if it was on here, someone suggested using slugs in between the spring coils to stretch it out & then attaching it. Then remove the slugs, if you didn't have the tool.
If you look at the tab there's not much to it, so to have a welder re-do the tab wouldn't be much to it IMO. I chopped mine off and got a motorcycle jack from Sears for $90.

Not going to make the kerker fit without so much rework you may as well get another pipe.

Sean

UFO megaphone is louder than loud. I bought one first and my local bike shop and I could not install it. The left front pipe wouldn't line up good. It was leaking from there. We tried 4 times every possible way. But when I started it up it was deafening. I liked it but just wouldn't line up. Don't think my wife would have been happy on the back, she wouldn't be able to hear her music ;) Think I just got a bad one. John was awesome and refunded my money and I went with marks. He shipped the exhaust told me to install it and if I liked it I could pay then. If not send it back. He's awesome. He's like the Sean Morley of exhausts lol !!!!!!!!

Back