VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
I removed my battery today to see if it was weak, since I've been having problems hot starting at times.

On the bench, it tested at 10.2V (aargh). I think that says a lot for the COPs - it still starts no problem!

It's an Interstate battery, and it used to be a little on the dry side when I first got it (with the bike), but I topped it up with electrolyte about 6 weeks ago. I put it on the charger, and it shot straight up to 5 amps(!). Hoping it'll charge up ok and hold it there.

However, there's obviously another problem here. Three things:-
- my charging system may be toast
- my R/R may be faulty
- all is fine, but running in traffic with the low temp switch means the fan's draining it too much while charging is minimal at 1000rpm.

Any suggestions, or tip/tricks on how to check the charging system and R/R? I've downloaded the Electrosport fault-finding PDF, but wondered if anyone had any more pointers.

I also want to check that the 'crimp fix' has been done on my bike - where exactly do I look for this guy?

Well what would you know.. After 22 full years of service, it was still there - look at what I found yesterday:
P1040449.jpg

So out came the soldering iron, and 'ere we go - 'crimp fixed!' :eusa_dance:
P1040458.jpg

Then checking the R/R connections, I noticed that the R/R has been upgraded (it has fins) and that some PO ran a ground wire from the R/R output to the battery negative pole. However, that wire was a bit too long, and had been connected using a household (!) twisty: :bang head:
P1040461.jpg

So the soldering iron again put this right once and for all:
P1040467.jpg

The pin-up shot for solder-lovers.... :rofl_200:
P1040465.jpg

And by the way, when you attempt the crimp fix, don't even try it with one of these guys:
P1040453.jpg

As it's totally hopeless! To get enough heat to flow solder properly through the crimp, you're gonna need one of these monsters:
P1040454.jpg

I left my battery on charge overnight, but this morning the charger still showed 2 amps, so I'm a little worried about how long it will last. At least now I can troubleshoot my charging system properly, and hopefully find out WTF is going on.

While in electrical mode, I'm gonna add a horns relay today, and wire in a relay to manually switch the cooling fan on and off as well. :punk:

Hey G, before that iron gets cold, soldier an extra wire from the output of your r/r to the battery+. That alone gave me 1 extra volt on my system.

That red cable coming from the R/R goes straight to the crimp, and one side from the crimp goes straight to the battery, so now that the crimp is fully soldered I would hope to get a good connection! However, if voltage is still suspect, I will sure give that a go too - thanx Rich!

HEY NAUGHTYG , I USE A MINI TORCH MOST OF THE TIME . IT HEATS UP QUICKLY & MELTS THE SOLDER BEFORE IT MELTS THE PLASTIC WIRE COVERING & I ALSO SHRINK TUBE OVER EVERYTHING TWICE ! IT WORKS OUT GREAT ! SOMETIMES I HAVE TO USE A SOLDERING IRON IF THERES NOT ROOM FOR AN OPEN FLAME . I'M AN AUTO MECHANIC :th_k050: & WE NEVER EVER USE CRIMP CONNECTERS TO CRIMP THEM . IF DO USE THEM WE CUT OFF THE PLASTIC COVERING & WE DON'T CRIMP THEM WE FILL THEM WITH SOLDER THEN SHRINK TUBE OVER THEM ! :punk:

Back