Lower engine noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrin1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is Jake and I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I have a 95 vmax that I'm having issues with. There is a bad rattle coming from what sounds like the left lower side of the motor. I replaced the starter clutch but the noise is still there. I've tried doing some research on what else it could be but can't find anything. I'm hoping someone on here can lead me in the right direction. The file size is to big to post a video. Ill try to figure it out and post one if I can. My worry is I need a new motor. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but the bike has a lot of sentimental value to me. The bike used to be my dads but it took his life in 2008. They found him out in a field still holding onto the bike like he tried to ride it out and save it as long as he could. He loved his vmax more than anything. After the accident I fixed it up and have been riding it ever since. I've had a couple issues with it here and there but nothing major. The thing is most of the cosmetics I had to switch out because of damage so the motor is the only thing left that I feel has a part of him in it and when I wrap my legs around it I feel like we are riding together again. If I have to swap the motor out then basically its just another bike. Thanks for reading and I appreciate your feed back in advance. Hopefully we can get'er back on the road soon.

Firstly I fully understand your reasons for keeping the bike as original as
possible.

RRegarding the noise, it is difficult to diagnose at a distance and I'm not experienced enough with these engines but does sound like roller bearing failure.

To save as much possible of the bike, may be worth taking it to a local garage for opinion.

Do not get worried or hung up about changing the engine, it really depends on how deep are your pockets. Even if it is a major component, as long ad the engine cases aren't broke, the internals can be replaced.

That's not sounding too good but before you get too deep in going for motor repairs I suggest checking the front exhaust pipes. The stock system (like is on your fronts) are double walled and it's not uncommon for the welds holding the inner and outer to break. Get a thick glove and try grabbing on the pipe and seeing if the sound changes (dulls or dampens some).

That's not sounding too good but before you get too deep in going for motor repairs I suggest checking the front exhaust pipes. The stock system (like is on your fronts) are double walled and it's not uncommon for the welds holding the inner and outer to break. Get a thick glove and try grabbing on the pipe and seeing if the sound changes (dulls or dampens some).
Sounds just like the noise my '85 made. Determined that it was the left front pipe broke loose inside. Easy fix. One good pop with a ball peen hammer dented the outside pipe and trapped the inner one. Stopped the rattle, and worked fine till I got a new pipe.

Thank you all for the advice. I really hope it's just the exhaust. That never really crossed my mind. Its been sitting for awhile so ill have to get a new battery to fire it up but ill let you guys know what I discover. Thanks again!

I have a Honda V65 that made a similar noise when I acquired it. I rode it about 200 miles and it progressed to a knock. A that point I was able to diagnose it as a connecting rod bearing.

The easy method I used to diagnose it was to determine which cylinder using a stethoscope ($6 at Harbor Freight). Then I removed the spark plug from that cylinder, and rotated the engine just past Top Dead Center for that cylinder. Then I inserted a 1/4" ratchet extension into the spark hole and pushed on the piston. It moved about 3mm, so my problem was easy to diagnose because it was so bad.

Fixing it won't be so easy....

Don't know if it helps you, Just A Thought.

Latest posts

Back