Lower or not to lower, that is the question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTwistedNomad

Reaction score
Good morning all, I posted a while ago asking about where I could find 1" lowering springs for my Max and once again the forum came through. I am ready to order my parts for upcoming riding season and get down to business. I am ordering the following:

Drag bars
shift light
gel pad for a seat modification
R1 Coil and harness for COP conversion
progressive shocks.

Now I ask you the above question. Lower or not to lower? I am thinking about cutting down the seat when I do the gel pad insert. Should I do both? Pro's, con's. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and figure with the seat mod and shorter shocks I will be dropping my arse almost 2" closer to the ground. I am ready to pull the trigger and get my parts ordered now that the season is almost upon us and would like some advice from all of you. Once again I say thank you to all and I look forward to hearing from you.

I'm your size -5'8", 30" inseam.
I dropped my bike down 1 1/2"in the front internally, 1"in the back, (using 12" shocks). I also lowered the seat height, by removing foam.
The change was obvious- very easy to flat-foot at stops, feels much more secure.
The downside is that changing the lowering height effects the "feel"- even 1/2" lower in front than rear, makes the steering feel quicker-takes some getting used to.
Consequently, this past winter I lowered the bike another 1/2" in the back, by means of lowering blocks, so that the front and the rear are now lowered equally. I can now flat-foot, even in bare feet.
Keep in mind that any lowering you do -front or back -results in decreased shock absorbtion. You will feel the bumps more easily.
Cheers!

5'8 with 10 inch penis..... er I mean 32 ish inseam.

I would NOT lower the seat. I tired a few seats and the lowered seats ALWAYS were rough to ride on and hurt my knees after a long ride. I would internally lower the bike if possible in the front and lower the rear 1" less than the front.

I lowered mine 2" in the front internally and kept the rear at stock height. I could touch flat foot before, but it was better now with a slight bend in my knees. With drag bars I noticed a very precise control of the front end. Shinko tires helped also.

Todd

10 inch penis.....

I have a 10" one as well! Only problem is taht all the women say it is too thick! (wish it was only 3" thick)

lol, all joking aside, I had my Max lowered an inch in the front through the trees. (left the back stock) When combined with a bit heavier fork oil, I found that the handling was significantly improved for me. (I like a sharp turning bike) I would not recommend any more, where as I do not like the idea of the front fender and the radiator deciding to make little bike part babies.

Now, I am only 5'4" @130lbs with a 30" inseam. I do not have any issues with the stock height. I definitely do NOT want to mod the seat any, because I am one of the rare people that finds the stock seat very comfortable actually.

Now, I am only 5'4" @130lbs with a 30" inseam. I do not have any issues with the stock height. I definitely do NOT want to mod the seat any, because I am one of the rare people that finds the stock seat very comfortable actually.

That's because you don't have enough weight to cause your body to crush it's own ass into it's spine!

On a side note, if lowered correctly the fender and radiator will never meet. The internal lowering kit reduces travel and NOT the distance it can move to the radiator.

Im 6'3" and i lowered mine 1/2" in the rear and 1" in the front. Steerings a tad quicker and fits me just perfect.

Back