Lowering an inch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
Ok easy done with progressive springs and shocks,,, will I need to modify or get a custom kickstand? will the center stand still work?
Thanks for the help

Centerstand will take a lot of muscle to get the bike on it. At my advanced age, can't do it without hurting something.. :biglaugh: I ride the back tire on to a 2x4 and carefully dismount and put on stand.

Side stand may or may not be ok. Mine is ok with 1 inch drop in front only. I have had to mod bikes before and used my oxy/acetylene torch to heat the sidestand on the bike and gradually tilt the bike to the desired lean angle. Then had sidestand powdercoated as this ruins the paint. Other options cost much more money. Have also modified centerstands but much more difficult. Requires cutting and re-welding and careful measurements. Also fixes to make sure the centerstand doesn't hit something in the up position, like the muffler or something damageable. I have added stainless steel brackets to move the rubber bumper the stand hits when up.

I don't actually know how much mine is lowered overall. More than an inch probably, but I had to use a shorter stand. It was too upright for me to be comfortable with it. It felt like a strong breeze might blow it over.

Best option (for me) was to get one from Captain Kyle. He can send you one that is shortened and powdercoated. Last I heard he had a jig made up, and was getting them welded properly. Mine looks original.

Both of mine are lowered 1" at the front only. Sidestands are fine. As Dan-o mentioned the centerstand is a different story for us older guys. Strafer fell yesterday when I tried to get her on the centerstand and lost balance. Tore my left leg up bad on something trying to stop the fall.:bang head: No damage to the bike as it fell on / into some of the stuff in my garage and not all the way down.

There is an eBay vendor (billetcycles) that just added adjustable sidestands in natural or black finish for $78.96 including shipping. Will cover all lowering heights. Good if may change mind on heights later on.

Good price on a custom stand. We sell our modified stands for $50 shipped and exchanged.

Both of mine are lowered 1" at the front only. Sidestands are fine. As Dan-o mentioned the centerstand is a different story for us older guys. Strafer fell yesterday when I tried to get her on the centerstand and lost balance. Tore my left leg up bad on something trying to stop the fall.:bang head: No damage to the bike as it fell on / into some of the stuff in my garage and not all the way down.

Don't need you getting beat up, hope you heal up quick :stretche:

Lowering the front seems to be a popular mod,,, does that help the handling/shake issues? And thanks for the input.

With the addition of upgraded springs, emulators and oil. It makes a totally different bike.
Shakes are bad or out of adjustment head bearings. Or, Tires / Wheels

I will be getting progressive shocks from Sean soon. What are the advantages and disadvantages of lowering an inch? And what does everyone prefer? :beer::beer:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I lowered mine an inch in the front using progressive, also replaced rear shocks with 440's from Sean at a great price. I'm a bit heartier at 205 and 5'10" and my setup is perfect. I also snugged the front triple tree nut after reading about the wobble and have had no issues. It takes corners great with the tires I have and I'm happy. I used synthetic power steering fluid in my front forks and I like the results and it was a lot cheaper.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371200310.399189.jpg

I will be getting progressive shocks from Sean soon. What are the advantages and disadvantages of lowering an inch? And what does everyone prefer? :beer::beer:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I love it....I dropped the front down an inch, and put on preload adjusters to take up about 1/2 an inch of preload...feels like a whole new bike, and to me this is what the factory should've done from the beginning.

Stock is 13" Length. I don't normally suggest more then 1.5" (11.5") shocks. We have used as short as a 10.5" shock but that's got very little travel and for smaller folks. My regular every day price is better then that by the way.

My current pricing (though I know will be going up soon) on the progressives is on our website here:
http://www.morleysmuscle.com/muscle-bikes/vmax/many-others

The 412's like you posted link to are $215 plus shipping ($20 if in the U.S.). If not in the U.S. (which I see you aren't). Then you have the shipping to me ($20) and the reshipping back out to you. So, works out a similar price at least by the time you get them from me and not sure if we can ship cheaper? We ship USPS.

Back