Lowering link

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy the tree guy

Reaction score
2020 vmax. 2" lowering link on rear shock, slid forks to lower front 1". Handles much better in corners and flat foot instead of tip toe at stops. Only downside is boot with drag on left turn if under shifter. Been waiting a year for rear seat backrest. Atleast tires were available.

Yes got that… but, if you don’t mind…. what I/we are wanting is a “How To” best slide the forks up, e.g. u hung the front from the ceiling, u have a front “triple tree/ head” lift stand, your jacked up the front from under the frame etc…

Yup. Triple tree. Bulldog makes an awesome tool. Had to weld a jig together to lift frame and oil pan for rear suspension so could remove shock.

Its off topic a bit but since some people add the lowering kits so they have a better foot placement on ground one thing i would like to add is install the foot peg lowering brackets i know there pricey you can shop around for better prices on manufactures kits. This made a huge difference in comfort for moving the bike around while sitting on bike plus just sitting on bike at a stop light. Before the pegs would hit my lower legs had to position legs out wider i am 6’2 now with the lowering brackets it so so much better no more hitting my lower legs more support with legs closer to bike.Just feels so much better highly recommend them plus little more comfort while riding bike also.

Last edited:
For me, personally, …it’s about looks and straight line speeds :cool: …all flat roads and no corners here…
I can understand that completely.

But when you lower a bike you not only decrease your lean angle, which will prevent you from going into a corner as hard as you could before, but you also change the center of gravity which can make for some unpredictable handling.

What's more, if you lower the bike without extensively re-working the suspension, you pretty much gut any comfort the bike was capable of having by limiting its travel and changing the preload on it. You can also find yourself bottoming out the front suspension under heavy breaking which, well, we all know how that ends.

There's a whole lot to consider when you lower a bike. I've never in my life though seen someone lower a bike 2 inches and talk about how it handles better in corners. Ever.

I can understand that completely.

But when you lower a bike you not only decrease your lean angle, which will prevent you from going into a corner as hard as you could before, but you also change the center of gravity which can make for some unpredictable handling.

What's more, if you lower the bike without extensively re-working the suspension, you pretty much gut any comfort the bike was capable of having by limiting its travel and changing the preload on it. You can also find yourself bottoming out the front suspension under heavy breaking which, well, we all know how that ends.

There's a whole lot to consider when you lower a bike. I've never in my life though seen someone lower a bike 2 inches and talk about how it handles better in corners. Ever.
Starting with stock geometry if you lower the front more than the rear the bike will turn in more quickly.

Starting with stock geometry if you lower the front more than the rear the bike will turn in more quickly.
Which is what you should never, ever do.

That completely unbalances the suspension, can cause uncontrollable snap oversteer and leads to high sides. But don't take my word for it. Take it from the professionals.

"First, as a general rule, never lower the front without lowering the rear," Langley says. "You can lower the rear without lowering the front, and what it does is give the bike more of a chopper effect. But if you just lower the front, you unbalance the bike the wrong way."​

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/an-in-depth-guide-to-suspension-lowering/

@paromino, Noted, good info, it seems I would be good for the 1” on rear and 1” in drop on front forks which would be all I would want for a little “lower look” and keeping the front end down whenever at Drags… @/troy-the-tree-guy, U said u went 2 in back and 1 in front any other I’ll effects like at “top speed”? I’m 6’2” so no issue with reaching the ground…

Latest posts

Back