Lowering the front end

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
Here is a question for the suspension Guru's out there.

I currently have Progressive rear shocks that are 11.5's (instead of the stock 13's). currently running progressive springs in the front with a 1 inch internal lowering kit, and the forks slid up about 1/2 and inch to keep everything level.

Since I am updating the forks.....new springs, etc, could I go with a 2 inch internal drop (it should have the bike leaning 1/2 an inch downward in the front) and put more weight on the front end for better handling.

So is this a good idea?

I have always kept the 13" shock length at the rear now with Progressive 440's. With the forks, quite early (2009) I dropped them 2" with the Progressive springs kit which worked well with the stock wheels. To note I added Ricor Intiminators while improved the fork action somewhat.
When I went to radials I found the bike turning in way to quickly for my liking. I took out 1" and effectively raising it back up to a 1" drop. It was still a little quick but I have since gotten used to this setup that steering is well balanced; stable in a straight line and turns In quite easily. My forks are the 41mm forks so they are not as stiff as yours will be. I do have an aftermarket fork brace which IMO keeps the forks from twisting and front wheel deflecting off line. It's not a game changer but does sharpen up the steering. I have wanted to go to USD front end but the front end as it sits works for me.

I feel that a front bias helps the vmax handling. Only downside to it is loss of ground clearance. If you have no issues with that, I'd go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I feel that a front bias helps the vmax handling. Only downside to it is loss of ground clearance. If you have no issues with that, I'd go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree, anything you can do to make the front carry more of the weight will help. Having your forks sprung and dampened properly will give you more confidence in corners. Going USD might make me a faster rider but I'm happy at the speed I ride and generally only ride my 9/10th when I'm around the hooligans @ Thunder.
I also forgot to mention I stretched my swingarm out 3" which was done at the same time as the radial upgrade. The stiffer swingarm helps the rear end behave much nicer. I'm not sure if this pushes more weight to the front?

I agree, anything you can do to make the front carry more of the weight will help. Having your forks sprung and dampened properly will give you more confidence in corners. Going USD might make me a faster rider but I'm happy at the speed I ride and generally only ride my 9/10th when I'm around the hooligans @ Thunder.
I also forgot to mention I stretched my swingarm out 3" which was done at the same time as the radial upgrade. The stiffer swingarm helps the rear end behave much nicer. I'm not sure if this pushes more weight to the front?

Well I have a braced swing arm, its just in normal configuration.

By going 2 inches internally, it would be adding 1/2 an inch to the front end vs what i have now.

With you being stock height in the rear, and 2 inches lower in the front, that lets me know that there isnt a huge detriment by having the front lower than the rear.

I'm learning quite a bit about the racetechs. Because the springs are thicker, they recommend LESS fluid in the forks, than the stock setting.

After this, I will even try setting the sag on the rear, and see if there is a difference.

Well I have a braced swing arm, its just in normal configuration.

By going 2 inches internally, it would be adding 1/2 an inch to the front end vs what i have now.

With you being stock height in the rear, and 2 inches lower in the front, that lets me know that there isnt a huge detriment by having the front lower than the rear.

I'm learning quite a bit about the racetechs. Because the springs are thicker, they recommend LESS fluid in the forks, than the stock setting.

After this, I will even try setting the sag on the rear, and see if there is a difference.

I would also not overlook the Race3 Tech emulators unless your happy with your fork action. The Intiminators really helped my forks deliver smoother action both in corners and braking. added Sean's fork caps so I could dial the preload up or down a touch for normal or Hooligan riding. They don't do a lot but when you're close on settings even a little adjustment can help. With my forks I have a lot more to overcome performance wise so each little step helped to get where I'm at.

I would also not overlook the Race3 Tech emulators unless your happy with your fork action. The Intiminators really helped my forks deliver smoother action both in corners and braking. added Sean's fork caps so I could dial the preload up or down a touch for normal or Hooligan riding. They don't do a lot but when you're close on settings even a little adjustment can help. With my forks I have a lot more to overcome performance wise so each little step helped to get where I'm at.

I'm gonna leave the Ricors.....I like them a lot.

I'm gonna call them and see about a 2 inch lowering kit (which will give me 1/2 lower on the front), and definitely follow their recommendations for sag and fluid levels.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back