Lycan Engine Build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrist pin is only difference. Worst case we can convert over to E85 fuel which should handle the increased compression. I am not sure what the safest bore we can take the Venture sleeves out too?? What wall thickness do we need to keep to be safe?

Sean

Sean or anyone else,

What is the compression height of a stk V-max piston? Is the stk Venture piston the same or ??? How 'bout total piston height?

I've got a few stk bore Turbo V-max pistons and i measure the compression height right at 27mm(not sure i'm right on, but i'm sure its very close). Total piston height of this piston is 52mm. Looking at this piston, i think we will find that the valve positions are quite simmilar. Of course, this is just by looking at pics and comparing to whats in my hand.

If the stk V-max or Venture pistons have the same comp height, then using Busa(at least the 99-07 like was posted) pistons will loose 2mm and the Busa rod will loose another 4.5mm. Total piston height will gain us 6mm of clearance over the stk V-max piston(that is IF my Arias pistons have the same total height).Guess we can stroke it by 13mm and only loose .5mm of clearance vs the stk setup! If only things worked that way...:biglaugh:

stockpiston.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure on the specs. I do know the ventures are flat top but due to increased bore the compression is the same at 10.5:1

The vmax piston sits approx .050 down into the bore from top of the deck. I believe head cc is about 23. OEM gaskets are approx .034".

Sean

Ok here's some info

185.5 mm (7.303) Engine block deck height
119.5 mm (4.705) Busa Rod length
27.0 mm (1.063) Piston compression height

So

185.5 (Engine block deck height ) - 119.5 (Busa rod length) = 66 - 37 (1/2 of the 74 mm stroke) = 29 - 27 (Piston compression height) = 2 mm (Piston deck clearance)(+ the gasket thickness)

So we can use the stock piston and increase the stroke to 76 mm. That would give us a 1 mm piston deck clearance + gasket thickness. Nice! That is of course if we don't run into clearance problems when I make up the mock rotating crank assembly.

That's strange it doesn't match up to the stock piston that I have which is from a 93. The compression height on the one I have is 27 mm and the wrist pin is 19 mm.
Ups, you've right. My mistake. I've corected my ugly drawning :D

I was confused with one burn busa piston that i curently have...

Anyway, i've checked another dimensions and this time is ok, for sure.

Ups, you've right. My mistake. I've corected my ugly drawning :D

I was confused with one burn busa piston that i curently have...

Anyway, i've checked another dimensions and this time is ok, for sure.

I figured that's what you did. Your drawings not ugly... nice job!

I had been looking at using busa parts like this. One other thing I havent gotten time to look at is bore spacing between the center two cylinders on the busa. Why? Two busa heads, clip off outer two cylinders on each, cap off ends, custom cams and bolt busa heads on vmax. I know it is far from a bolt on. But how would you like to have busa head technology on a vmax.
So how much stroke is possible inside the cases when using the Busa rods?

Jim

Don't see the Busa heads working at all. They have a cam drive on the end of the head, where the V-max has its cam drive BETWEEN each cyl on each head. Might as well build a head from scratch than to hack Busa heads into individual cyls and try to piece together. Doubt the coolant passages will line up either.

Don't you fret, thats the kind of thinking that we need! Gotta think out of the box and consider all combos.

There's no reason why we couldn't plot the busa intake and exhaust ports. Weld or epoxy the ports and CNC the ports to match the Hayabusa. But not this year... I'm going racing next season.

Anyone get the clearance figures for max stroke in the cases? I was thinking of using the busa piston with an aftermarket longer rod. If you can make it up with stroke all the better. What does a welded stroker cost?

Jim

Anyone get the clearance figures for max stroke in the cases? I was thinking of using the busa piston with an aftermarket longer rod. If you can make it up with stroke all the better. What does a welded stroker cost?

Jim

I ran a stroked supercrank in my XS from these guys. Spendy, but well worth it.

http://www.faliconcranks.com/pb_price.html

08 has the same rod length at the 99-07. Piston pin size is smaller on the 08. 08 Piston has a smaller compression height(pin is higher up in the piston) to compensate for the 08's 2mm longer stroke.

So you probably wouldnt want to use an 08. You would have to get even more stroke to get a decent squish band. Anyone have an idea what the busa turbo piston dish size is.
I was thinking busa rods, stroked crank and aftermarket busa turbo pistons. You could keep the compression down while still having larger engine size. It looks like the busa aftermarket pistons are cheaper than vmax.
Thoughts?

Jim

Sean,
You able to get a price for a stroker crank for the max? When they do the crank they would grind it to the bearing size supplied correct? And any progress on determining the maximum stroke we can get inside the cases?

Jim N

Back