Machine the cylinder "fins" off?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great white

Reaction score
So, I'm building up my 83 Venture. Part of it is installing VMax cylinder heads.

But I'm trying for a "stealth install", trying to keep it looking as much like a Venture as possible. It's pretty much an unmolested survivor (31,000 KMs/19,000 miles) and I'd like to keep that look, at least cosmetically.

Basically; I want the power but not the rep. I just want guys to go :surprise: when that old touring boat moves out so quick.

But those fat fins on the cylinder head sides are going to be a dead give away.

I'm toying with the idea of machining them off.

Has anyone tried this before?

The ends are no worry, they are out past the parent casting. It's the parts on the side of the head that worry me.

It's possible they are "indented" slightly from the back due to the way aluminum "shrinks" when it is cast poured and if machined off I might get into the water jacket. Casting porosity is just a risk I have to take, but the fins trouble me seeing as they are over the water jacket.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it? Probably a long shot as most guys want to show off the VMax parts rather than hide them....

Not seen it done and never tried it? Not completely related but here's a cutaway we did a few years ago.

Attachments

• 1121001532.jpg
    1121001532.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 32
Neat cut away. Too bad I'd need a cross section view 90 degrees out from that...:(

I'm probably just going to have to get up the courage and go for it.

If I break through, I can always tig it closed I guess....

So, I'm building up my 83 Venture. Part of it is installing VMax cylinder heads.

But I'm trying for a "stealth install", trying to keep it looking as much like a Venture as possible. It's pretty much an unmolested survivor (31,000 KMs/19,000 miles) and I'd like to keep that look, at least cosmetically.

Basically; I want the power but not the rep. I just want guys to go :surprise: when that old touring boat moves out so quick.

But those fat fins on the cylinder head sides are going to be a dead give away.

I'm toying with the idea of machining them off.

Has anyone tried this before?

The ends are no worry, they are out past the parent casting. It's the parts on the side of the head that worry me.

It's possible they are "indented" slightly from the back due to the way aluminum "shrinks" when it is cast poured and if machined off I might get into the water jacket. Casting porosity is just a risk I have to take, but the fins trouble me seeing as they are over the water jacket.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it? Probably a long shot as most guys want to show off the VMax parts rather than hide them....
I put venture royale calipers on my vmax as they matched the cooling fins of the heads. Seems it would make it run hotter by grinding if i understand it right.

I put venture royale calipers on my vmax as they matched the cooling fins of the heads. Seems it would make it run hotter by grinding if i understand it right.

They're mainly decorative from what I can see. Liquid cooling does the work.

My bike is going to get r6 calipers....

Or you could fill in the cyl head band spacing w/fresh bead, and machine it down to make your own pattern...

Latest posts

Back