Mad Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one.
Turn back, you're going the wrong way!!!! 😂

I’ve been around the “block” once or twice Parminio....so I know you can’t. However that wasn’t really the point was it? Although many moons ago I recall reading that it was possible. It’s still a badass machine from a great movie.

I’ve been around the “block” once or twice Parminio....so I know you can’t. However that wasn’t really the point was it? Although many moons ago I recall reading that it was possible. It’s still a badass machine from a great movie.
I wasn't aware of that. Type doesn't always tell whether someone is dead serious and thinks that's what happens or if one is simply referring to a cool act.

They actually stole that from the movie 'Vanishing Point' that was made 8 years before where Kowalski used a level that looked like an emergency brake handle (which is what it actually was) to Engauge the supercharger on his Dodge. It was again used in 1985 in the movie 'My Science Project' only it was a toggle switch on the dashboard that engaged the supercharger on a 1968 GTO Ram Air III. (Which really, truly, does NOT need a supercharger.)

Fact is, without the supercharger in play at startup, you'd never get the engine running. There simply wouldn't be enough vacuum. Even though it takes around 120 horsepower to get a basic 6/71 up to snuff, those big impellers do a lot to get the air moving when you turn the key. Without them, you'd might as well just blow into the manifold with your mouth and hope for the best.

It is possible today, but only because they're used in conjunction with a turbocharger. Volvo actually made it happen in their new 4 cylinder engine that came out about 6 years ago. It's supercharged and turbocharged.

The turbo operates at the lower end of the RPM scale since it's a free lunch from the exhaust. One the engine reaches higher output, a clutch (very much like an AC compressor clutch) engages and the supercharger cranks up. Once it's up to power the turbocharger disengages.

It all happens in fractions of a second. That's how a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine can pound out 302 HP and still get 35 mpg on the highway. Here it is:

1605461378372.png

Now, people are incorporating electrically driven superchargers. That allows the engine to run independently of them entirely. It's next level stuff.

Edit to add: The actual car in Mad Max the Weiland 6/71 blower didn't even work at all. It wasn't installed. All they did was bolt the body to the top of the air clean of the 351 engine and put a battery powered motor on it to turn the belt.

No air moved through it all all.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of that. Type doesn't always tell whether someone is dead serious and thinks that's what happens or if one is simply referring to a cool act.

They actually stole that from the movie 'Vanishing Point' that was made 8 years before where Kowalski used a level that looked like an emergency brake handle (which is what it actually was) to Engauge the supercharger on his Dodge. It was again used in 1985 in the movie 'My Science Project' only it was a toggle switch on the dashboard that engaged the supercharger on a 1968 GTO Ram Air III. (Which really, truly, does NOT need a supercharger.)

Fact is, without the supercharger in play at startup, you'd never get the engine running. There simply wouldn't be enough vacuum. Even though it takes around 120 horsepower to get a basic 6/71 up to snuff, those big impellers do a lot to get the air moving when you turn the key. Without them, you'd might as well just blow into the manifold with your mouth and hope for the best.

It is possible today, but only because they're used in conjunction with a turbocharger. Volvo actually made it happen in their new 4 cylinder engine that came out about 6 years ago. It's supercharged and turbocharged.

The turbo operates at the lower end of the RPM scale since it's a free lunch from the exhaust. One the engine reaches higher output, a clutch (very much like an AC compressor clutch) engages and the supercharger cranks up. Once it's up to power the turbocharger disengages.

It all happens in fractions of a second. That's how a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine can pound out 302 HP and still get 35 mpg on the highway. Here it is:

View attachment 73732

Now, people are incorporating electrically driven superchargers. That allows the engine to run independently of them entirely. It's next level stuff.

Edit to add: The actual car in Mad Max the Weiland 6/71 blower didn't even work at all. It wasn't installed. All they did was bolt the body to the top of the air clean of the 351 engine and put a battery powered motor on it to turn the belt.

Erm, the other way 'round - supercharger first, then turbo at the top end. Still cool though, guy in Scotland twincharged a Mitsi evo8 - 1000bhp, no lag, very fast up a hill..

View attachment 73732

Shame, iconic film..

Latest posts

Back