• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Madura 1200cc! The VMax competitor, from Suzuki, in FL asking $2300

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Not mine, no one I know. I just thought it would be interesting for someone who may like Suzukis. The bike from the pics looks pretty-clean.

1985 Suzuki Madura - motorcycle parts - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

It runs like a champ. It goes up to 130 MPH. Clean Florida title.
English 954 six six one 4357
Español 305 nine seven cero 4870

Suzuki Madura.jpg

A direct response to the ‘mega-cruiser’ Honda Magna, the Suzuki Madura was all about one-upmanship. Honda called their Magna an 1100, so the Madura was called a 1200, even if the engine was actually 1165cc. Honda rated the Magna at 116hp, Suzuki rated the Madura at…117 horsepower. You get the idea. Either way, it was a rare (5,099 produced over two years) bike that competed against the Magna and of course, the Yamaha V-Max. Evidently, they also came in a wire-wheel model the GV1200GLF, which I think looks pretty-good.
Suzuki-Madura 1200cc 1985.jpg

I bet spare parts are hard to come by, I like the earlier cruiser style bikes

I owned one, parts are scarce but you can find them. Mine was pretty quick, it felt faster than the magna v65 I owned but not Vmax fast. I really enjoyed it, very comfortable bike.

I owned one, parts are scarce but you can find them. Mine was pretty quick, it felt faster than the magna v65 I owned but not Vmax fast. I really enjoyed it, very comfortable bike.
I think at the time, the V65, GS1150E/ES, CB1100, XS-11, and GPZ1100 were all within striking distance of one-another.

As-far as production numbers, I think the '85 VMax in the USA was about 8800, and '86 was less, and '87 was dropped as a year-model here, because of unsold inventory, returning in '88 until 2007. I had heard previously that the yearly allocation of planned production was 2,000/year for the USA.

if I was going to get an early cruiser style bike for myself it would most likely be an XS1100 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL or a KAWASAKI ZN1100

Latest posts

Back