Magna rider turns to VMax to cure speed addiction

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijacker

Reaction score
Just a bit to introduce myself, some of you may already recognize my username from the v4musclebike forum.

I live in Durand, Michigan about 40 miles east of Lansing. I've had a 3rd Gen Magna for a couple years and have been loving that bike. The 3G Magna and a VMax are both on the top 5 bikes I want to own at some point before I kick it.

A chance to swap my '95 Magna for a '94 VMax came up and after extensively test riding the bike to make sure everything was in good working order and 2nd gear was ok I agreed to the trade.

This is the Magna I had... 32,000 miles, show room pristine...

IMG_5954.jpg

This is the VMax I now own... 21,000 miles, also show room pristine...

2012-05-11_19-56-56_134.jpg

2012-05-11_19-57-13_478.jpg

So far I'm loving the VMax (of course). The power and accleration are addicting.

It does need new fork seals and a new rear tire, but other than that it seems to be in great shape.

I'm looking forward to riding with Beekeeper and some of the other guys from Michigan, hopefully soon!

Chad

Very Nice bike Chad. Look forward to meeting up / riding with you during some of our Michigan rides ! :punk:

Welcome to the VMF !!

Welcome hijacker! Good to see another Michigan Vmax'r on here and by the looks of it you picked up a nice one. Your Magna is a very nice looking bike, I really like that generation as the line really flow well IMO.
I hope to meet up with you on one or more of the runs this spring and summer. You should look into going Baldwin Blessing of the Bikes coming up on the 20th, I believe.
Also join our social group located on this site. To navigate to it click on "Menu" above and look down about midway of the list of links for "Social Groups" and click on it. Then choose "Michigan Vmaxers" and join the group. You can choose to receive a email anytime somebody posts in the group by looking for "Group Tools" on the bar just above where all the posts are at, look to the far right.
Again Welcome to the site and the Vmax world!:punk:

I had the same story....I owned a 1st gen Magna, an '85 V30...."baby magna". For a 500cc it was really quick, would take my buddy's 96" harley and would run to around 110mph. It was also really smooth and surprisingly torquey considering it had little 125cc cylinders.

Knew I wanted another V4, figured I'd go right to the top, got a Vmax.

'94 has the lions share of the updates, digital ignition, wider forks, and improved(though still not great) brakes.

You don't have the newer regulator/rectifier('98, iirc), or the updated shift drum segment ('00, iirc). Both are direct replacement for the older years if they become a problem.

I went from a Vmax to a 94 Magna VF 750C and back to the Max. Honda was a total dog to me and couldn't stand it power wise. I did run square over an armadillo in a rain storm at highway speed around a big sweeper with it and she barely wobbled. Saved me from a nasty wipeout so I'll always be thankful for that!

Congratulations
Great trade Hijacker.I'm a charter member on V4 Muscle Bike.All though i'm allways on the VMF most of the time.That must be a coincidence with both bikes the same color & all.You got the better deal for sure.Be careful with it. They can get away from you.:welcome_sign:to the VMF

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm getting some good info from this forum so far, I'm not new to bikes in general, but I am new to the VMax specifically so I appreciate any tips, tricks or "watch out fors" from the experts.

I think I got the best of the deal as well, looking around on craigslist I think he could have sold this bike for $4500+ pretty easily. The Magna is worth about $3200 tops on a good day.

Welcome to the Max owner's club, and to the best interweb site for it!

You sure will enjoy it, just watch out for that mod monkey..

:)

welcome to the forum.........nice trade..............that back tire is far from bad.:biglaugh:...............i dont change them till they are square and cords hanging :rofl_200:eek:ut.............................see ya on a ride sometime soon..........

welcome to the forum.........nice trade..............that back tire is far from bad.:biglaugh:...............i dont change them till they are square and cords hanging :rofl_200:eek:ut.............................see ya on a ride sometime soon..........

Sidewalls are cracked. I'm worried about it blowing the whole time I'm riding it so the cost of a rear tire is worth the piece of mind.

Sidewalls are cracked. I'm worried about it blowing the whole time I'm riding it so the cost of a rear tire is worth the piece of mind.

You are so right!

Here are the preferred tires for most people of this forum:

1. Metzeler ME880 not V-rated, but quality and longer lasting. Slightly pricey.

2. Shinko T230 Tourmaster super-grippy, wears a bit faster, cheap but some people have reported mixed quality (dodgy runout, needs more weights than usual to balance)

I personally run the Shinko and love it esp. for its grip, including in the wet.

Back