magnetic drain plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just about to change oil in my vmax and i tought that I'd buy one of those magnetic drain plugs. The problem is that the old drain plug is longer than the new magnetic one that the dealers gave me. The magnetic drain plug still fits though, should this matter at all?

I read somewhere that the short drain plugs are for transmission and the long ones are for oil.... Is this through and does it matter?

Also when i unscrewed the old drain plug i managed to destroy some of the threads in the oil drainage, do I need to go to an autoshop to get this checked?

Thank you!

i have a longer than stock drain plug, how much longer is the question? it really shouldn't be a big deal.

vmax only has one drain plug for the crankcase needed for normal oil changes, no separate tranny drain.

helicoil (name brand for thread repair kits) make kits probably for that size. although if it were me i'd bring it somewhere, or at least take the oil pan off to do it on a bench. It should work fine for ya, altho depending on the cost of a used oil pan, that might be easier/cheaper.

Thanks! But my new magnetic screw is shorter, about 5mm shorter, which is about 1/5 inch shorter. Should this matter?

Yeah I talked to Sean about this issue. He suggested sealing it with JB weld. So today I went to the local paint store today and they where kind enough to give me left over JB welds tubes, applied it, and now I'm waiting to see if it works :) If it doesn't it will probably be easier to just get a new oil pan.

Latest posts

Back