Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read on here somewhere about why to get a magnetic oil drain plug. Getting ready to do the spin on oil filter mod and figure now is the time to get this done as well. What size is that plug and where is the best place to get one from? I tried to search for that post I read before but I can never find what im looking for in a search on here...probably user error. :bang head:

Exactly. I have some used ones on hand but could order new if desired.

Sean, is your drain plug threadlenght equal to stock plug? I bought magnetic plug from ebay, sold for vmax, it was about half of the lenght of stock and I almost stripped threads of my oil pan.

Sean, is your drain plug threadlenght equal to stock plug? I bought magnetic plug from ebay, sold for vmax, it was about half of the lenght of stock and I almost stripped threads of my oil pan.

i fell for the same trick!

magnetic oil drain plug.

I just use a couple of tiny neodymium magnets I salvaged from faulty earphones. I attach them to the side plates of the oil filter (the first version filter assembly with oil cooling housing). Neodymium magnets are strong enough to stay secured in the place.

Drain plug is located in a very splashy area comparing to the oil filter compartment where oil flow is relatively slow and constant.

For the filter, (car and bike), I use a 1" wide wrap-around flexible magnetic strip, designed for this purpose. I think I paid $2.99 for both, can't remember when or where.
I've never cut apart a used filter to see how effective the strips are.....but they sure can't be hurtin'.
You can buy these strips in various shapes and sizes, in any hardware or stationery store, intended for hanging up light tools or papers. You could easily make a custom one, large enough to cover the wholedang filter. Kinda like a "magnetic condom". Practice safe filtering, Lads. Keep it wrapped. :punk:

Cheers!

Back