Main Fuse issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad-Max89

Reaction score
Okay having issues with my 89max. I had an issue a few weeks ago while riding. I stopped at a light after doing 150 miles got 3 blocks away from home when bike just died on me. Checked main fuse and it was burnt out. I replaced it with the spare fuse, as soon as I put it in the bike it blew also. Okay checked battery it was pretty low on acid plus it was 3 years old. So thinking maybe that's the issue I got a new one. I replaced 30A fuses and charged new battery. The next day tried to start bike again and ut did the same thing BLEW main fuse again. I had a friend look at bike and we noticed the regulator was totally shot the end of the connection had been fried. I bought a new regulator and we replaced the ends of the conncetions. Thought this would have fixed the problem because after all the bike started up. The next day thought all was fine started bike again and the "MAIN" fricking fuse burnt out again. Not really sure what's going on with bike. Not sure if maybe a wire may be expossed somewhere causeing bike to short out. Was hoping one of you guys out here could lead me in the right direction. I would love to get a few more rides in before the snow starts to blow here in Western New York.

Thanks and hope to here something I may be missing!!

This is the friend that helped Mad-Max89. He covered the post pretty well but just wanted to add some things.
Before he bought a new regulator, with the help from a few different posts on this forum we narrowed down his initial issue to the regulator/rectifier. While trouble shooting we unplugged the red wire on RR and the main did not blow. We also noticed that the connector for the 3 wires that connect the RR to the stator was badly burnt up.
So, while installing the new RR we cut the burnt connectors off and we crimped weather proof connectors on.
Like Mad-Max89 said, the bike started up perfectly after new RR installation and we ran the bike for a few minutes. It was late so I went home thinking he was good to go and we called it a night. He went out the next morning and bike fired right up and ran for a bit then died again. It is back to blowing the main fuse as soon as it is replaced.
Mr. Maxx, We will check the stator, Mad-Max89 just replaced the stator last season. I hope it is not fried already. Thank you for a place to start troubleshooting.

Jim

only other thing i can think of is a short in the wireing somewhere...

is the headlight bulb stock? its not one of those high wattage ones??

also i would check and clean all the ground connections

Last edited:
Agree with the short, but I would think the bulb would blow the 10 amp fuse before the main. Checking and cleaning all grounds is a good way to go for sure though.

will it run for a time ...or does the fuse blow when you try to start it?

In addition to the stator and RR checks, - use the Electrosport fault-finding chart for particulars - don't overlook the + wire from the battery to the starter relay. Check for possible paths to ground (fraying, poor connections). Also, check the rest of the positive (red) wire from the downstream side of the fuse, to the RR connection, finally to the three-pin ignition switch connector. There could be a short to ground anywhere along it's length. The switch connector itself should be checked for melted plastic, caused by a poor connection. Several recent cases of this reported.
If there are no paths to ground thru the stator/RR, this red wire, which is like the "main artery" of the bike, is most likely the culprit causing you grief.
Cheers!

check all the heavy red power wires near the battery and starter realy too. good chance for a short in that area if stuff isnt tight.

If it is blowing the main fuse then it is most likely to be a short between the battery and R/R, battery and Ignition Switch or Ignition Switch to fuse block.

You will need to check all relevant wires.

Behind the battery the three wire connection where we do the crimp fix, is this maybe uncovered and the crimp shorting out? Good time to solder the crimp and reinsulate it. I'd investigate this area along with the already mentioned stuff. Seans web site has an excellant wiring diagram I use all the time. You can zoom it and see how everything is wired.
Steve-o

Unplug R/R red wire and see if it still blows. Agree that it's either stator, R/R or wiring in between.

There could be a problem INSIDE the r/r causing a direct short too - wouldn't have to be a bare spot on the red wire....just sayin'.

Latest posts

Back