Maintenance, what am I missing?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
Doing an oil change Wednesday, was wondering if I'm missing anything major.

Attachments

• 2007 VMax info.xlsx
    12 KB · Views: 66
Nice Spreadsheet, I keep one for my Vmax too.
It looks like you've been keeping up with the Maintenance pretty well.
I'd put new stock NGK plugs in it if you haven't done that recently, I do it every other riding season.
Just run through all the checks listed for 4,000 Miles in the Owners Manual Maintenance Checklist and you should be fine.

And I know that Owners Manual list shows only changing the Oil and Filter every 8,000 Miles but I do it once a year no matter what Mileage I put on it for that riding season (usually 4-5,000 Miles for me).

Right on, thanks.

Benefit of stock NGK over the Iridium? I still have the plugs from when I changed them. They look fine, but I switched to the Iridium plugs because I thought they were better.

The Stock NGKs are cheap and work as well as ANY type plug available.
The iridium plugs really don't have any benefit to them that I know of other than they might last alonger than the stock plugs.
If the Iridiums you put in are still in good shape there's no reason to change them out.

I just personally change out the spark plugs every other year or so as part of my basic maitenance routine.

Last edited:
This is the spreadsheet that I use which is based on the Yameringha recommended service schedule.
It details what should be done and when, what should be used (e.g. lubricant spec. etc.) and tightening torques where relevant.
There is also a tab to record what has been done so (in theory) you should never miss an operation.

Attachments

• Service Intervals & History.xls
    49 KB · Views: 51
Not sure that I noticed fuel filter replacement in the OP list? Maybe it was there and I missed it.

You guys inspire me to do a better job of keeping maintenance records.

This is nice. Mine isn't as pretty...it just has a list of tasks that I do every year.

Attachments

• 1999 Vmax_maintenance.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 14
That's great to keep records like you do. I'm lax in the recording area. Though not in maintenence. I use the odometer for oil/filter changes. When it rolls around to an even number I change the oil. 2k, new oil and filter. It may sound excessive but I have my reasons. Every 4k-plugs (ngk)and fuel filter. Yearly all fluids changed, connections all cleaned and or sprayed and a shot gun carb cleaing and sync. a yearly battery check and cleaning is done. The cooling system I flush every two years. I do the forks and pumkin once during the riding season and at the beginning of the new season along with a compression check. 43k on the engine now. And I like to light up the oil light a bit. I'm inspired to do a spreadsheet today, it makes sence.
Steve-o

Last edited:
i used to do the gear oil every other oil change. probably overkill. maybe worth it as you have almost 8k miles since the last one right?

if you have already used the prestone, no worries but a lot of guys like toyota red.

also start thinking about a valve check.

saw you did brake fluid flush, did you do the clutch hydraulic fluid then too?

and never ever forget your headlight and turn signal fluid checks.

and never ever forget your headlight and turn signal fluid checks.

Don't listen to this guy. That's just a bunch of BS designed to sell more blinker fluid. I changed my OEM blinker fluid 12 months after I put my 85 into service and have never changed it since. That's right - I'm on the same blinker fluid now for over 26 years, and it still functions perfectly. Don't waste the money changing yours.

Reminds me - time to change out my final drive & fork oils......

Don't listen to this guy. That's just a bunch of BS designed to sell more blinker fluid. I changed my OEM blinker fluid 12 months after I put my 85 into service and have never changed it since. That's right - I'm on the same blinker fluid now for over 26 years, and it still functions perfectly. Don't waste the money changing yours.

Whilst your old carbon based liquid may seem OK after all this time its molecules will be tired and the electrons discharged.

Sorry to have to say this but you are waaay behind the times - all discerning riders will only use the latest, solid state LED indicator fluids - they never wear out and consume less power.

Only use MM Indicator Juice - available from the usual stockists.

Didn't flush the clutch, don't know how. I'll do the gear oil tonight. Easy. As far as battery checks, I should've checked awhile ago, had it tested and its bad. Ordered a new one and discovered that the currently installed battery is dry, like all the way... BUT I have a brand new one now.

This is the same idiot who lost his left calf when his neglected carb chain snapped & took a big chunk out of his leg. Never, ever, forget the maintenance you need to keep your bike safely operational. Just take a look at my bike for an example of good maintenance procedures-Keep it stock and you will rock! And, don't forget wheel maintenance, what keeps you off the road? :biglaugh:

I like Mr. Midnight's spreadsheet. I may have to start one using his template. You fellows are more-responsible than I am!

Attachments

• Motorcycles 2011 Daytona-elsewhere 056.jpg
    Motorcycles 2011 Daytona-elsewhere 056.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Motorcycles 2011 Daytona-elsewhere 075.jpg
    Motorcycles 2011 Daytona-elsewhere 075.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
Back