making a deal, need inputs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
welp i may not be parting the bike out after all, my good friend wants to trade me his 98 honda shadow ace 750 + cash for my 03 straight up.

now heres where it gets pickly,

HOW MUCH cash?

i dont wanna rip him off but i dont wanna get ripped off. hes my good friend and im his good friend. would i be a dick if i asked for 2k? both bikes have about equal miles.

the only difference is the power LOL

shadows make like 32-35 at the rear wheel

What's the going rate on a Shadow? If he's truly a friend, and you're not looking to keep the Shadow, have him sell it outright with the understanding that you'll sell him yours when his sells.

IMO that's a better way to keep a friend a friend. lol

Chris

i thot the shadow would make a killer dick around bike for my friends and family to thrash on.

hes askin 2500 for the shadow, chrome plastic for the win

its the dual carb chain drive 5 speed liquid cooled model.

u thinkin what im thinkin? ^_^

blow motor, install gsxr engine - destroy the world. :D

Tough call man and definately not worth losing a friend over. If it were me id maybe do blue book to blue book price differences. Then ask what he has in mind amd hope you had a lower number in mind.

????????? if you are planing spending money on a shadow ...spend them on the max and keep it. If you get the friends bike.... you wont keep it long and thing if you will able to sell it. See the market then think if it worth it. maybe if dont your max will go easier than a shadow. but definetely if a real friend is involved you have to see what is on your mind and dont mix things.

Tough call man and definately not worth losing a friend over. If it were me id maybe do blue book to blue book price differences. Then ask what he has in mind amd hope you had a lower number in mind.

my thoughts exactly. take the retail and private party of both, take the average, split the difference and call it a day.

Why sell a paid off Max and think about a Shadow. You are a Dick and just don't know it!

I think your in the ballpark with the 2k, he's getting a bike thats 5 years newer that was cared for and has someone that can work on it (YOU), and if his shadow is nice you can quick sell it for 2k...you get your 4k you wanted.
Personnaly, if he'e that good a friend and he will be ridding with you, I would do $1600....seeing as you both can't get your bikes sold...and call it a day...he gets a great deal...and you get at least a home for your bike, and then you can sell it too me for $1800 to hook it up to a sidecar I have parked in the garage.:punk:

welp i may not be parting the bike out after all, my good friend wants to trade me his 98 honda shadow ace 750 + cash for my 03 straight up.

now heres where it gets pickly,

HOW MUCH cash?

i dont wanna rip him off but i dont wanna get ripped off. hes my good friend and im his good friend. would i be a dick if i asked for 2k? both bikes have about equal miles.

the only difference is the power LOL

shadows make like 32-35 at the rear wheel

Glad to hear you're not parting it out....IMO parting out a perfectly good bike is like collecting a donor's organs before they're dead.

I'd skip the wheeling-and-dealing part. Get him to sell his shadow, then buy the max outright. Nothing ruins friendships like money.
Unless you really want the honda, though why? It's going to feel like a scooter compared the Gen1, and a bicycle compared to the gen2.

IMHO, Keep the Max , let him sell the Shadow . If & when he sells it , let him ride it once with $ in hand to buy it for your price. He'll either be too scared to buy it or he'll give you what you want .

I must be the only one that thinks 2K is not enough. The Max is 5 years newer and cost probably double what the Shadow cost. If I had the Shadow, I would jump on that deal but if it was my friend, I would feel guilty!!! :confused2:

ya my dad found out about it and got mad at me. he said the vmax is a lot rarer and a way better bike and a lot more prestigious, and sold for a lot more than a shadow did. so we'll see today what happens

I think your in the ballpark with the 2k, he's getting a bike thats 5 years newer that was cared for and has someone that can work on it (YOU), and if his shadow is nice you can quick sell it for 2k...you get your 4k you wanted.:punk:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this

i think the shadow back then cost 4500 or 5 OTD, the max was prolly 10k

but that was then, this is now. the achilles heel of the VMAX market is they made them too long.

why buy a 98 for 3500 when u can grab a 93 for 3000

Your 03 has all the updates on the Max. If I had the money, I would love to buy it. What was your asking price and what mods does it have? Couldn't find it in the Buy/Sell section. I have several friends with Maxes (6) and will tell them about it.

i took it to his house today so his dad could ride it. he came back and was like

"WOW that rides nice! i just have one question.... why in the world do you want to trade that for a shadow???"

i thought about this on the ride home, why in the hell do i wanna trade this bike for a shadow

it scared me to death too, he told me he was going down the road and back and he didnt come back for over an hour while i stood in his yard biting my lip.

i thought maybe he hit the kill switch on accident and couldnt get it started or sumthing,

after 40 minutes i heard ambulance sirens and my heart just sank, i was like oh SHIT i killed my friends dad...

i sat there for another 25 minutes with his wife and i was like wow omg i am so sorry...

then boom he pulls in the driveway after an eternity and i try not to look at the bike until he gets next to me because i thought for sure he went down on it...

then thank gawd it was ok, apparently some old lady flipped her van right in front of him because she took a turn too tight where the ditch was dug out.

Well thats quite a story around that deal... All and all you gonna keep it... No shadow... no no... don't make that mistake. If you want to sell it, sell it but do not trade her in for the shadow... Thats bad...

well, i watched it roll down the driveway and i got choked up. saw it pull onto the street and teared up. listened to it ride away and i couldnt take it nymore. walked into the house and my hands were shaking.

i feel like im closing a chapter in my life. that bike defined who i was. i was vmax matt and everyone knew me because of that bike, and now its gone. when i signed the title i got an adrenaline rush from being nervous and second guessing myself.

im not looking back. ill just go by his house once a week and make sure its ok but thats it.

have you ever gave something away or sold something and realized instantly that you made a huge mistake?

not to be a dick, but a honda shadow no-mater what year will EVER EVER be worth anything close to a max period. i no people will disagree with this but here goes, the v-max is special because of what it is not really any other " asian motorcycle" has the following that the v-max has, even in the HD community the v-max has always been respected, at least around here, all of the other " cruser" type MCs are really just a copy of something else. the max has always been its own IMHO

Back