Making "Bullitt"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a great thread about "Bullitt" being filmed.
http://selvedgeyard.com/2009/09/26/required-viewing-bullitt-the-granddaddy-of-car-chase-scenes/

Remember the car chase climax, the Charger flying into the gas station and immolating everything, including the bad guys? When they were filming that, the Charger was being towed, and they cut it loose to go to its impact, but they calculated wrong, it missed the gas station! The incendiary charges were triggered though, the gas station exploded, and a bit of editing covered the error.

Plenty of great reading about everything to do w/the filming, from how they decided what cars to use, to arrangements w/SFPD for street filming, the stunt drivers, mods to the cars for safety, reliability, and being able to use it the next day, just a great trove of info on the movie, which I'm gonna assume, probably everyone on here has seen multiple times. Is there anyone reading this who hasn't seen the movie?

bullitt.jpg

Steve talking w/some young neighborhood residents/fans during the filming. Crop the adult woman's arm out of the picture, and I think that would be one of my favorite pics of McQueen, ever. He's on a Triumph. Wonder if it's the one that does a slide-out close-to the end of the car chase.

I remember reading that the mustang was NOT a stock car...and had to be massaged a bit to run with the charger.

Count the number of hub caps that come off the charger in the chase seen?????

Also, ex wifes parents used to live in the city area of the chase. I had a 66 GT HIPO Mustang and only got a little airborn a few times. AND broke a lower "A" arm.

Lew

Last edited:
One of my favorite movie chases!!........I pulled the scene from the movie years ago and copied it to a VHS tape, Bill Hickman, our Charger wheel man also did another excellent movie chase a bit later, he was sporting Pontiac power this time........Can you name it without the aid of the internet??..........:biglaugh:..........Tom.

You must be thinking of Smokey and the bandit!.....What a hoot that movie was!......:biglaugh:......No, actually I was thinking of 1973's "The Seven Up's" with Roy Scheider, but Bill Hickman also trashed a Pontiac in the French Connection in 71........There were 2 correct answers................Tom.

Well post them grandpa movies up i want to see them.

One of my favorite movie chases!!........I pulled the scene from the movie years ago and copied it to a VHS tape, Bill Hickman, our Charger wheel man also did another excellent movie chase a bit later, he was sporting Pontiac power this time........Can you name it without the aid of the internet??..........:biglaugh:..........Tom.

The Driver?

You must be thinking of Smokey and the bandit!.....What a hoot that movie was!......:biglaugh:......No, actually I was thinking of 1973's "The Seven Up's" with Roy Scheider, but Bill Hickman also trashed a Pontiac in the French Connection in 71........There were 2 correct answers................Tom.

That was another great chase, long too....sure ended with a bang!! :punk:

I always wanted one of those mustangs. Like the article stated, I don't remember the storyline but I remember the chase :)

Back