Making Max Mad Again !

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil-3446

Reaction score
Hey Gang...

22 1/2 years later, and now I decide to do something with my Max. Bought the ArtFibras body kit, braced/double notched the SW, waiting on the HMF exhaust, and 5.5 x 17 wheel from COO, along with other goodies.

Battery busted in storage years ago and killed the paint on the engine ;( New carbs with stage 7, and he breathes again. He?s freaking loud inside with straight pipes, even the skinny factory leads.

When I weighed 128 in the late 80's, putting down 10.8? times was no problem on this one, while launching in first. 10.37 was his best bone stock with a 2nd gear launch. He's also one of the factory bikes with the pinstripe on the tank, rear, and front fender. Something Special???

Just need to paint the rear fender & cowl, and get the fork brace I want.

left_side_01.jpg

Wife doesn't like the fact he's sitting right in front of the movie screen either...should I fix him quick, or just take my time to piss her off ???

:cheers:

Hey Gang...

22 1/2 years later, and now I decide to do something with my Max. Bought the ArtFibras body kit, braced/double notched the SW, waiting on the HMF exhaust, and 5.5 x 17 wheel from COO, along with other goodies.

Battery busted in storage years ago and killed the paint on the engine ;( New carbs with stage 7, and he breathes again. He’s freaking loud inside with straight pipes, even the skinny factory leads.

When I weighed 128 in the late 80's, putting down 10.8? times was no problem on this one, while launching in first. 10.37 was his best bone stock with a 2nd gear launch. He's also one of the factory bikes with the pinstripe on the tank, rear, and front fender. Something Special???

Just need to paint the rear fender & cowl, and get the fork brace I want.

Wife doesn't like the fact he's sitting right in front of the movie screen either...should I fix him quick, or just take my time to piss her off ???

So it's not staying perrywinkel? :ummm:

Looks good!:cheers:

So it's not staying perrywinkel? :ummm:

:rofl_200:

It's actually Purple Passion, and much darker than the picture is showing. Has a little more blue in it than Plum Crazy, but, it's close. It does look kind of sissy pale when I use the flash on my camera. ..yuck!

Neil

Hey Gang...

Finally finished shooting the color and clear on my 1985 Max today (owned him since new). Still need to color sand and polish everything, except the faux tank cover, I did that this past winter.

There is no way to take photos at night without them coming out blurry using no flash ;( When I use the flash, Max comes out looking Periwinkle (Lavender..thanks 4GasEm for pointing this out :biglaugh: ) ....yuck! He's Passion Purple in real life!

Still waiting on Demon Golf mirrors, gel grips, billet bar ends, custom decals, fork brace, HMF exhaust, C.O.O. 17x5.5 rear wheel, billet rear brake brace, engine paint, rear lighting, and ...etc.

He still looks real naked to me without exhaust, mirrors, front fender laying on the tire without the fork brace, and the rear wheel.

At least he is all one color now ;)

full_paint_01.jpg

Neil-3446

Is that a radial front tire?

What sizes and brands of tires are you running?

That is an Avon Storm ST AV55 110/80/18 Radial on the front, out back I'll be running the Shinko R003 200/ZR50/17 on the new Cycleoneoff wheel.

Hey Gang...

Just an update...

Got Max cranking over today, after a heart wrenching moment or two.

Changed the fluids and installed new plugs, new battery. Turned the key, lights up, fuel pump clicking away, no vboost servo cycle noise (fix that later).

Hit the button...click...hummm...squeal...crack...not cranking. Cross the solenoid over, sparks and still not turning over. After talking to JF from RMS, he suggested that I crank the motor by hand to make sure the engine wasn't frozen (heart sank after he supported my worst fear). Removed the plugs, put the ratchet on the crank bolt, turns great counter clockwise, wont budge clockwise. Another phone call to John and he said "Starters Frozen" ;( Replace or rebuild it after taking the pipes and cooling parts off the front. Better than a seized engine, but, still a pain in the ass!

Back to my hotrod SBC days before I pull all this stuff, hit the starter a few good licks with my trusty hammer just for the hell of it, ...hit the button...chunkada...chunkada...chunkada, he's turning over like new. Waiting on a fuel sending unit from RMS before we go for the breath of life test (no need to drain a fuel tank).

:clapping:

Anyway....

The carbs I bought came from a guy in NM that was at over 5000' feet of elevation, I'm in KY and average around 750' ASL. He said the carbs are leaned way out to run at his altitude. Since I'm much lower and having Vboost issued anyway, would it pan out about right if I just opened the vboost to run full time making it richer, or should I rejet as soon as I get him going? Also have HMF on the way, and have heard different opinions on where this system needs jetted.

Thoughts????

Neil

We are going to need more details than that.Jet sizes ,jet kit?

Hey Gang...

Just an update...

Got Max cranking over today, after a heart wrenching moment or two.

Changed the fluids and installed new plugs, new battery. Turned the key, lights up, fuel pump clicking away, no vboost servo cycle noise (fix that later).

Hit the button...click...hummm...squeal...crack...not cranking. Cross the solenoid over, sparks and still not turning over. After talking to JF from RMS, he suggested that I crank the motor by hand to make sure the engine wasn't frozen (heart sank after he supported my worst fear). Removed the plugs, put the ratchet on the crank bolt, turns great counter clockwise, wont budge clockwise. Another phone call to John and he said "Starters Frozen" ;( Replace or rebuild it after taking the pipes and cooling parts off the front. Better than a seized engine, but, still a pain in the ass!

Back to my hotrod SBC days before I pull all this stuff, hit the starter a few good licks with my trusty hammer just for the hell of it, ...hit the button...chunkada...chunkada...chunkada, he's turning over like new. Waiting on a fuel sending unit from RMS before we go for the breath of life test (no need to drain a fuel tank).

:clapping:

Anyway....

The carbs I bought came from a guy in NM that was at over 5000' feet of elevation, I'm in KY and average around 750' ASL. He said the carbs are leaned way out to run at his altitude. Since I'm much lower and having Vboost issued anyway, would it pan out about right if I just opened the vboost to run full time making it richer, or should I rejet as soon as I get him going? Also have HMF on the way, and have heard different opinions on where this system needs jetted.

Thoughts????

Neil

Shawn...

No kit, just leaned with standard jetting to run at that high altitude. I'd have to do some investigation to find out whats in there now. The guys at his local Yamaha shop did the rebuild and jetting for his application. What would be normal for someone at this elevation?

Neil

Just a small update for the week of 06/17/2007...

- Got the Showa VTX shocks installed
- Installed engraved billet lower carb inserts
- Installed engraved billet swingarm caps
- Made Yamaha & tuning fork decals from water slide and cleared the Artfibras scoops
- Installed 29 bulb Super Led signals and load balancers
- Put Python supplied drag bars on
- Installed Harris VMax gel grips
- Installed billet Vmax engraved bar ends
- Installed billet Vmax reservoir covers
- Put on Golf Style Chrome Demon Cycle Mirrors

Hopefully we'll be back on the road by early July, since, I'm still waiting on the rear wheel and HMF exhaust...I see light at the end of the tunnel :biglaugh: .

Pics Below

Neil

Attachments

• showa_shock.jpg
    showa_shock.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 14
  • right_scoop_logo.jpg
    right_scoop_logo.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 10
  • left_scoop_logo.jpg
    left_scoop_logo.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 10
  • super_led_signals.jpg
    super_led_signals.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 8
  • bars_mirrors_grips.jpg
    bars_mirrors_grips.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 14
Just thought I should show the starting point from 2 months ago...I need to be able to come back here for my own personal records:

I've abused my baby for 22 years too long :bang head:

Neil

Attachments

• sad_max.jpg
    sad_max.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Very nice!!:thumbs up: In the first picture of the shocks I did a double take because for a moment I thought you had a clear rim and I was like this :surprise:

Very nice!!:thumbs up: In the first picture of the shocks I did a double take because for a moment I thought you had a clear rim and I was like this :surprise:

Thanks Buster!

Yes the invisible rear wheel has been getting a lot of attention lately :biglaugh: . Hopefully Tom from Cycleoneoff will get my visible one to me this week, we're just waiting on the paint guy to finish the center.

Neil

Latest posts

Back