Making rear axle, materials?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
Hey guys I am working on a chain drive vmax with an R1 rear wheel, the wheel is setup for a 28mm axle and the swingarm I got from Sean is set up for a 20mm Axle. My plan is to mill the chain adjuster blocks and swingarm out to 28mm and make a matching axle as I dont have one anyway. would regular cold rolled solid steel material be strong enough? I would have to imagine it would be way over kill but have had a few tell me I should use hardened steel or shaft steel. Just looking for a little input from some of you guys that really know your stuff. If it matters I am shooting for having this bike around 250 ponies with a low comp big bore turbo motor.

If not Sean, I'm sure Jedi could weigh in on this subject. I'm sure there are others on here as well but these two immediatly come to mind for subjects such as these.

Hard steel is the better choice. Stainless though is cooler and don't rusts but can bend and its not rigid. The steel is even better for threads.

When I'm designing shafts for work, I typically use 1045, 4130, 4140 or 4340. 1045 is tougher to machine than the 41 series of steels though.

I use CG 4140 or 4340 . CG means "centreless ground" as supplied which is good because it is a defined size which will be no greater than the nominal size required, which in turn is ideal for a wheel axle because the size wants to be a transition fit rather than a press fit.

28mm might be an odd size for CG and might not be available which means machining one from larger stock.

Rather than mill the swingarm slots which would be a pain , I would probably step the axle down at the ends to accept the swingarm

Problem with turning the ends down is how would I get the axle through the 20mm hole? Anybody have any ideas where I could get short pieces of material? The metal stop I buy all my materials from for my business only sells 20ft sections and I obviously don't need all that much. Thanks for the input guys, I will do a little research on the subject and see what I can turn up now that I am headed in the right direction. Wheel spacers could probably be made of mild steel though couldn't they?

Back